website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

There are "non-white" core sports; badminton, table tennis, weightlifting and wrestling. The non-Olympic core sports make sense from a Commonwealth point of view. Cricket should be a core sport too, but that's a whole different issue.

As for shooting, I just think it's because it has never been a priority for nations. Like if you asked all nations to pick their top three sports I don't think shooting would feature on many lists, but at the same time most people were fine with it being on the program. No doubt it's the most high profile sport on the optional list, but as host nations face more pressure to cut costs, optional sports not popular with the country will likely face the chopping block. Look at track cycling in South Africa's bid, the only reason they changed their mind was because other nations/organizations were going to essentially pay for the venue.

Badminton is known as a posh- British sport in the US (and historically it was), and I’d say wrestling is a rather bleach sport too. While both are universally diverse, and definitely deserving of commonwealth recognition, they were kept around because they benefit certain region. Weightlifting benefits Oceania, Athletics benefits the Caribbean, Swimming benefits the countries Down Under, Badminton benefits East Asia, Wrestling benefits Africa (and now India), but shooting is mysteriously left out. It’s just odd.  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t think any athlete dreams of becoming the next Commonwealth Games champion :p. What I tried to say is that historically the Commonwealth has been anti-India and anti-Ireland. For Indians, this reflects the fact the British culture sees them as unequal citizens of the commonwealth. The games are important to the development of athletes. I mean, I’m pretty sure they’re the one reason India, Malaysia, and Trinidad and Tobago even have Track Cycling programs in the first place. Also, many CGAs like :FLK :STH :NFK send their only representatives in shooting. The Queen’s Prize has one of the most diverse entry lists. It just seems like the games are about Britain and not a celebration of commonwealth culture as they’re marketed as.

:facepalm:

I’m pretty sure they’re the one reason India, Malaysia, and Trinidad and Tobago even have Track Cycling programs in the first place

There's always the Pan American Games (or the CAC Games) and the Asian Games (also the SEA Games for Malaysia).

I have to say I see no reason for the CWG to exist. It's very embarrassing to watch so many nations playing along by letting an old woman claim to be their queen. I mean, the British invaded their territories, stole natural resources, enslaved and killed a bunch of people, forced the survivors to learn their language and centuries later they want everybody to celebrate by playing lawn bowls. 

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

There's always the Pan American Games (or the CAC Games) and the Asian Games (also the SEA Games for Malaysia).

I have to say I see no reason for the CWG to exist. It's very embarrassing to watch so many nations playing along by letting an old woman claim to be their queen. I mean, the British invaded their territories, stole natural resources, enslaved and killed a bunch of people, forced the survivors to learn their language and centuries later they want everybody to celebrate by playing lawn bowls. 

Yes, this I agree with. Good point about the CAC Games for Trinidad and Tobago by the way. I totally forgot about those :facepalm:. For Malaysia, I think they take the CWG more serious than the AG for track cycling. It means more for them to beat the British.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Badminton is known as a posh- British sport in the US (and historically it was), and I’d say wrestling is a rather bleach sport too. While both are universally diverse, and definitely deserving of commonwealth recognition, they were kept around because they benefit certain region. Weightlifting benefits Oceania, Athletics benefits the Caribbean, Swimming benefits the countries Down Under, Badminton benefits East Asia, Wrestling benefits Africa (and now India), but shooting is mysteriously left out. It’s just odd.  

That's denying the fact that badminton's strength has been in Asia for decades now. In a Commonwealth Games perspective wrestling is now pretty much a Canada/India/Nigeria show, not exactly universally diverse (other than we have three nations from three continents competing for medals).

Edited by JoshMartini007

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Weightlifting benefits Oceania, Athletics benefits the Caribbean, Swimming benefits the countries Down Under, Badminton benefits East Asia, Wrestling benefits Africa (and now India)

There you go, no shooting needed then.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I know it's all pretty sad, what with all the colonial stuff and such, but this made me laugh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I know it's all pretty sad, what with all the colonial stuff and such, but this made me laugh.

The Queen demands her subjects commence the most noble of sport, to compete for her affection and their own pride as subjects of the Queen :p

The Queen demands her subjects commence the most noble of sport, to compete for her affection and their own pride as subjects of the Queen :p

I think the Queen could not care less about the Commonwealth Games :p 

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think the Queen could not care less about the Commonwealth Games :p 

Especially now that her prize is gone :d