website statistics
Jump to content
  • Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

    Register now to gain access to all of our features and follow all sports events with us here on Totallympics!

     

Commonwealth Games 2022



Recommended Posts

Just now, rajiv said:

 

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things . India is big on shooting as a sport but has an inferior record to UK and Australia at the Olympics . I have spent a lot of time in the UK and Australia and have never seen shooting mentioned in any general sports coverage . In fact shooting is only mentioned in a negative way as in shooting licenses should be made harder to get .

For the last 5 Olympics :

Australia :3G 1S 3B  7T

GB           2G 1S 2B  5T

India         1G 2S 1B 4T

And the further you go back in time the further behind the other two India is 

OK I haven't checked the Commonwealth Games medal tallies but I'd measure performance by Olympic results 

 I repeat past is past. Put in the results from 2019 world cups and compare the other countries. So I don't care about the Olympic tally about the countries.Lets see after Tokyo!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Birmingham 2022 is teasing a big announcement they’ll make tomorrow. I would imagine this will be the final sports program (complete with events, and/or schedule), motto, or some big celebrity endorse

Good for the Colonial Games. 

The list of medal events for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.   PowerPoint Presentation - Birmingham-2022-medal-event-program.pdf   The 20 kilometer race walking events in athletics ha

Yeah, if England wanted to strengthen their position they would have gotten rid of swimming (I know they can't). In the end their only competitor (especially as hosts) is Australia.

 

Shooting is an optional sport and the host wanted to save money. I do hope this experience will get the shooting federations to push it to be a core sport. Especially since both triathlon and wrestling are core sports and have less depth than shooting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rajiv said:

 

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things .

 

But going all "They kicked out shooting to mess with India!" sounds like a big overestimation of how important those other nations find India.

 

Like, if they kick speed skating out of the Olympics I'm really not going to presume the Netherlands is so important they do it to mess with us :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, if England wanted to strengthen their position they would have gotten rid of swimming (I know they can't). In the end their only competitor (especially as hosts) is Australia.

 

Shooting is an optional sport and the host wanted to save money. I do hope this experience will get the shooting federations to push it to be a core sport. Especially since both triathlon and wrestling are core sports and have less depth than shooting.

Well that's what. It is not possible to remove swimming. As shooting was optional and they don't do well on it, wasn't a difficult decision after all. :lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Well that's what. It is not possible to remove swimming. As shooting was optional and they don't do well on it, wasn't a difficult decision after all. :lol:

 

 

I agree, as long as you acknowledge that it wasn't done as an anti-India thing, but a pro-England thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to continue this argument, but another thing I don’t understand is, why isn’t shooting a core sport? The CGF has ten core sports that must be included in every games. Lawn Bowls :hairpull: is a core sport (which does make sense since the sport is dominated by commonwealth nations), while shooting is not (which doesn’t make sense because shooting is arguably more popular and easier to watch/follow). It just seems odd that some core sports, like triathlon and squash, are sports that aren’t uniquely commonwealth sports, but are sports that the dominant countries (and historically more powerful countries of the commonwealth, cough *white countries* cough) excel at compared to India, Malaysia (with the exception of David obviously), Singapore, and other major medal table contenders. It seems like a big overtire from the CGF to leave shooting off that list. Especially since the crown jewel of the sport at the games is called the “Queen’s Prize” (she technically rules the entire commonwealth). Plus, it’s a uniquely commonwealth sport (at least the full bore rifle competition). It’s just odd. That’s not even mentioning the fact the core sports were reviewed in 2014, and triathlon was added over shooting! (probably because England and Australia were horrified that a host like South Africa might leave it off the program)  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I hate to continue this argument, but another thing I don’t understand is, why isn’t shooting a core sport? The CGF has ten core sports that must be included in every games. Lawn Bowls :hairpull: is a core sport (which does make sense since the sport is dominated by commonwealth nations), while shooting is not (which doesn’t make sense because shooting is arguably more popular and easier to watch/follow). It just seems odd that some core sports, like triathlon and squash, are sports that aren’t uniquely commonwealth sports, but are sports that the dominant countries (and historically more powerful countries of the commonwealth, cough *white countries* cough) excel at compared to India, Malaysia (with the exception of David obviously), Singapore, and other major medal table contenders. It seems like a big overtire from the CGF to leave shooting off that list. Especially since the crown jewel of the sport at the games is called the “Queen’s Prize” (she technically rules the entire commonwealth). Plus, it’s a uniquely commonwealth sport (at least the full bore rifle competition). It’s just odd. That’s not even mentioning the fact the core sports were reviewed in 2014, and triathlon was added over shooting! (probably because England and Australia were horrified that a host like South Africa might leave it off the program)  

 

There are "non-white" core sports; badminton, table tennis, weightlifting and wrestling. The non-Olympic core sports make sense from a Commonwealth point of view. Cricket should be a core sport too, but that's a whole different issue.

 

As for shooting, I just think it's because it has never been a priority for nations. Like if you asked all nations to pick their top three sports I don't think shooting would feature on many lists, but at the same time most people were fine with it being on the program. No doubt it's the most high profile sport on the optional list, but as host nations face more pressure to cut costs, optional sports not popular with the country will likely face the chopping block. Look at track cycling in South Africa's bid, the only reason they changed their mind was because other nations/organizations were going to essentially pay for the venue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always wondered why Asian nations care about the Commonwealth Games. For India, in special, their top athletes have to compete at their best level at the CWG, Asian Games and the World Championships in a single year. It's a bit too much, especially in sports with world tour or world series.

Now, after reading all the comments, I don't think leaving shooting out of the next edition is an anti-India thing. It's just a sport that not many countries really care, except for India. But if there are chances for medals in other events, so why even bother? I don't think any Indian shooter seriously dreams to become the next CWG champion, so just focus on the World Championships and the Asian Games. For India to threat dropping out of the Games entirely is an overreaction, and an almost childish-like attitude (unfortunately I've come to expect that from Indian sports representatives).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thiago_simoes said:

I've always wondered why Asian nations care about the Commonwealth Games. For India, in special, their top athletes have to compete at their best level at the CWG, Asian Games and the World Championships in a single year. It's a bit too much, especially in sports with world tour or world series.

Now, after reading all the comments, I don't think leaving shooting out of the next edition is an anti-India thing. It's just a sport that not many countries really care, except for India. But if there are chances for medals in other events, so why even bother? I don't think any Indian shooter seriously dreams to become the next CWG champion, so just focus on the World Championships and the Asian Games. For India to threat dropping out of the Games entirely is an overreaction, and an almost childish-like attitude (unfortunately I've come to expect that from Indian sports representatives).

 

I don’t think any athlete dreams of becoming the next Commonwealth Games champion :p. What I tried to say is that historically the Commonwealth has been anti-India and anti-Ireland. For Indians, this reflects the fact the British culture sees them as unequal citizens of the commonwealth. The games are important to the development of athletes. I mean, I’m pretty sure they’re the one reason India, Malaysia, and Trinidad and Tobago even have Track Cycling programs in the first place. Also, many CGAs like :FLK :STH :NFK send their only representatives in shooting. The Queen’s Prize has one of the most diverse entry lists. It just seems like the games are about Britain and not a celebration of commonwealth culture as they’re marketed as.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...