website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

26 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I think some of your facts are wrong. Yea don't agree with shooting being dropped.. but 40 events (some which were doubled up) is a joke.

To say dropping weightlifting from 45 to 15 is a farce is laughable. Every MSE awards medals for the total lift only...so are those events a joke ?

Wrestling is on the Birmingham program and has many (womens) events under subscribed atm (ie not enough entries). Australia has no tradition in this sport and its no surprise they have not included it in their home games. However, there will be more sports added and wrestling is still a possibility.

Except the Mediterranean Games and Central American and Caribbean Games, which only award medals in the snatch and clean&jerk, and not for the overall total.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, the gripe about shooting or weightlifting is a bit unfounded. The team and the snatch/C&J events were only there to inflate medals. I'd have the same feeling if they removed the individual apparatuses in rhythmic gymnastics.

When I look at whether a sport/event should be part of the Commonwealth Games, I ask myself, "are there at least 8 competitive nations?" Admittedly, that helps Great Britain more since they are split at the games. England and Scotland are major players and Wales and Northern Ireland can add depth. Throw in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa who tend to have similar interests and it's not too difficult to find a couple of other nations to make the event competitive. Meanwhile for India (or other nations), if they don't have the support of the previously mentioned nations it will be hard to find enough nations to make the event viable.

Controversy!  Traditionally :IRL athletes with connections to :NIR have been able to compete for Northern Ireland in the Comms, but now bureaucrats have found out this is happening & put a stop to it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/61596695

57 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Controversy!  Traditionally :IRL athletes with connections to :NIR have been able to compete for Northern Ireland in the Comms, but now bureaucrats have found out this is happening & put a stop to it.

I wonder what will happen to the boxing team.

I know Northern Ireland jurisdiction is a bit complicated, but what's FIG's claim, that Northern Ireland is solely Great Britain, ignoring that the people are both Irish and British?

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

This decision seems a little ridiculous.

5 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, the gripe about shooting or weightlifting is a bit unfounded. The team and the snatch/C&J events were only there to inflate medals. I'd have the same feeling if they removed the individual apparatuses in rhythmic gymnastics.

When I look at whether a sport/event should be part of the Commonwealth Games, I ask myself, "are there at least 8 competitive nations?" Admittedly, that helps Great Britain more since they are split at the games. England and Scotland are major players and Wales and Northern Ireland can add depth. Throw in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa who tend to have similar interests and it's not too difficult to find a couple of other nations to make the event competitive. Meanwhile for India (or other nations), if they don't have the support of the previously mentioned nations it will be hard to find enough nations to make the event viable.

Your logic is impeccable .... Can you now use the same logic to explain how shooting where 38+ countries participated where every event had 30 countries participate  is dropped ..... And why rhythmic gymnastics which has like 4-5 countries participate is added .....

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Great ..... Hope they stop GB from pretending to be 10 countries at the CWG ......

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

39 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Your logic is impeccable .... Can you now use the same logic to explain how shooting where 38+ countries participated where every event had 30 countries participate  is dropped ..... And why rhythmic gymnastics which has like 4-5 countries participate is added .....

There really isn't any strong argument to dropping shooting imo. Only thing I have read is venue requirements being an issue (but both Australia and England have hosted the games this century with the sport...). Rhythmic is easily accompanied in the same venue as artistic....but I never understood its inclusion either as the sport has almost no tradition in the Commonwealth.

6 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

Honestly shooting should be included and rhythmic gymnastics should be dropped. In fact, among the Olympic disciplines, rhythmic gymnastics is the least deserving discipline at the Commonwealth Games.

Shooting on the other hand is behind rowing and sailing in terms of biggest Commonwealth snubs.

Yeah, sailing is a big omission. Archery and tennis should really be on the program as well in my opinion. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela