website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

"India is the worst performing nations in the CWG"     well as per last chart  we were third and above Canada .......

Rank CGA Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia (AUS)* 80 59 59 198
2 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England (ENG) 45 45 46 136
3 22px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India (IND) 26 20 20 66
4 22px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada (CAN) 15 40 27 82

so if we are the worst performing , Canada ?? 

I personally think that to cut shooting was a clear strategy of the big three to cut india  down to size .......   

Tell me. How would India have responded if one of the other Commonwealth countries had tried to dictate to them which sports to include in the programme for Delhi?

I understand India's disappointment at the exclusion of shooting from the programme in Birmingham but it was purely logistical and any other claim amounts to nothing more than paranoia. India doesn't need to be cut down to size. It is a great country but it's behaviour in this matter has not reflected well on it.

6 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I actually never said that, from the countries that compete in the CWG, India is one of the top performers just at the CWG. Overall, including every other event? Not so much.

I admire Canadas performance in the Winter olympics ....... you guys are giants there ...... so hats off to you 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

But how does :IND‘s Commonwealth Games record stack up against much poorer countries like  :JAM or :KEN

It's not about numbers. The  mentality of Indian parents make you consider study/work as priority. Sports is never at the top it's considered just pass time. So even if your good at sports you'll be asked to totally stop sports at a point. The school or college curriculum isn't very sport friendly either. Changes are being made to include sports as a subject. I have myself been to and I know many schools and colleges which even cut the sports period for students and engage with extra classes. Rich or poor most people in India  have mentality that sports is for leisure ..

2 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

By the bye the original statement was "India has underperformed at the CWG " ........ not winter olympics .....

"not a single CWG" ...  you guys seem to have a weak memory ......... go back to 2010 we thrashed canada at that event again ........

Rank CGA Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia (AUS) 74 55 48 177
2 22px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India (IND)* 38 27 36 101
3 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England (ENG) 37 60 45 142
4 22px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada (CAN) 26 17 32 75

so the fact is we have thrashed canada in 2 of the last 3 CWGs ..........

sad but true ........ who is the underperformer at the CWG........

That birmingham does not have a single shooting range!!!!!!!!!....

Having 36 shooting medals is ridiculous, when the Olympics have 15. In any case  the original statement was not "India has underperformed at the CWG. "history of Commonwealth sports." does not equal "CWG". Commonwealth sports = countries who compete at the CWG.

21 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Well, if you like it, long life to the Queen :p

I think that's is just a remember of the UK empire that, luckily for all, it's gone forever. I feel like that the Commonwealth games are a sort of jerking circle for the UK home nations. 

Really, then how do you explain the participation of all the other countries? Why is the number of Commonwealth countries continuing to grow?

The CWG has proven a great arena for athletes to experience a large multi-sport event and to learn how to cope with living and performing in the village environment. It has certainly been a great stepping stone to the OG for sportsmen from many countries. Perhaps if Italian sport had something similar it might appreciate the value of the Games both intrinsically and as a nursery for the greatest stage of all. 

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

Tell me. How would India have responded if one of the other Commonwealth countries had tried to dictate to them which sports to include in the programme for Delhi?

I understand India's disappointment at the exclusion of shooting from the programme in Birmingham but it was purely logistical and any other claim amounts to nothing more than paranoia. India doesn't need to be cut down to size. It is a great country but it's behaviour in this matter has not reflected well on it.

the reason seems illogical 

1. They could have hosted the event in Bisley in Surrey, which also hosted the shooting events in the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games.  that venue was closer to Birmingham than the Velodrome on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, where track cycling will take place.

2. shooting has been in the shortlist of sports since 1970 literally .......... so you are removing one of the main sports of the games ..... the sport which we are doing the best at ......

3. to be honest for a games to be popular you need to cater to all the nation states ....... this is one of the major sports of india , but also of pakistan, singapore  and bangladesh so you are kind of turning your back to some of the asian nations  participating and catering to only the big three ..........

In my view it was an ill thought out decision ............ i think if india was to do it we would not try to remove one of the major olympic sports in the first place .....

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Having 36 shooting medals is ridiculous, when the Olympics have 15. In any case  the original statement was not "India has underperformed at the CWG. "history of Commonwealth sports." does not equal "CWG". Commonwealth sports = countries who compete at the CWG.

sorry that is unintelligible ..........

according to you commonwealth sports means 

not commonwealth  games

but   = commonwealth countries who compete at the CWG 

sorry I must be losing my touch on English ......... 

3 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

the reason seems illogical 

1. They could have hosted the event in Bisley in Surrey, which also hosted the shooting events in the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games.  that venue was closer to Birmingham than the Velodrome on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, where track cycling will take place.

2. shooting has been in the shortlist of sports since 1970 literally .......... so you are removing one of the main sports of the games ..... the sport which we are doing the best at ......

3. to be honest for a games to be popular you need to cater to all the nation states ....... this is one of the major sports of india , but also of pakistan, singapore  and bangladesh so you are kind of turning your back to some of the asian nations  participating and catering to only the big three ..........

In my view it was an ill thought out decision ............ i think if india was to do it we would not try to remove one of the major olympic sports in the first place .....

Shooting is not a core sport of the CWG and never has been.  It's an optional sport and therefore was not removed from the programme. Nor is it a "major" Olympic sport. It doesn't attract large numbers of spectators and it is difficult to follow either on television or in person.

In case you haven't noticed the programme includes both hockey and cricket which are sports which I suspect have considerably more following among most Indians than shooting. Like shooting, cricket is optional but has been included which hardly suggests this is some conspiracy against India.

I ask you again how would India have responded if one of the other Commonwealth countries had tried to dictate what sports to include in the programme for Delhi?

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Which country was poorer? :GBR in the 1860s or :IND in the 2020s? Yet :GBR in the 1860s invented pretty much all modern sports & now modern :IND compete in only four or five.  Well, of course you resent what happened. But how does :IND‘s Commonwealth Games record stack up against much poorer countries like  :JAM or :KEN

I don’t think a Britisher should bring up the 1860s when talking about India. Honestly dude, you don’t want to go there.