website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I think the hate from the Commonwealth Games comes from people relating it to the British Empire.

In fact it is open to any nation that has never beaten us in a war. So only :USA :NED & :AFG are excluded. :FRA & :GER are perfectly free to join.  :teacher:

I was briefly in Birmingham coming home from the football yesterday, I had a stop over there, enough time to get McDonald's and do little else. But there were quite a few signs and so on for the Games just in the station and outside it, some with the Games branding and some with Network Rail branding. A small part of history I suppose. The BBC promo set to "It's A Brum Ting" has been seen a lot on TV including during the World Athletics Championship, which is interesting - a very catchy tune although words like 'Ting' are much more a London dialect than a Birmingham one!

Anyway, the :ENG Day 0 schedule:

19:00 Opening Ceremony

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Unlikely, in terms of talent, I'd give :RWA in beach volleyball the best chance at winning a medal. After that it comes down to getting some favourable draws in boxing/judo

I think :ANT have a decent chance of nicking one in men's 100 and 200 with Cejhae Greene. :RWA:SLE:TCA are the other ones I had down in Beach Volleyball, Wrestling and Athletics (Men's Long Jump) respectively. 

21 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I think :ANT have a decent chance of nicking one in men's 100 and 200 with Cejhae Greene. :RWA:SLE:TCA are the other ones I had down in Beach Volleyball, Wrestling and Athletics (Men's Long Jump) respectively. 

:ANT might have a chance in the men's 100m if enough athletes withdraw. :SLE like with boxing/judo will depend on the draw so the chance is there. I don't think :TCA has a chance, the athlete hasn't performed that well this season and the level is still pretty good. He'd probably need to get around 7.8m to win a medal.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

:ANT might have a chance in the men's 100m if enough athletes withdraw. :SLE like with boxing/judo will depend on the draw so the chance is there. I don't think :TCA has a chance, the athlete hasn't performed that well this season and the level is still pretty good. He'd probably need to get around 7.8m to win a medal.

In the 100m I can see someone medalling with a time over 10 seconds, so if he can reach anywhere near his PB and SB he'll medal.  The long jumper seems to pull it out the bag when it comes to these games so if he does the same again he stands a chance. Due to lack of numbers in Wrestling and other combat sports, :SLE might be able to medal if they pick up a sneaky win or 2.  

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

In the 100m I can see someone medalling with a time over 10 seconds, so if he can reach anywhere near his PB and SB he'll medal.  The long jumper seems to pull it out the bag when it comes to these games so if he does the same again he stands a chance. Due to lack of numbers in Wrestling and other combat sports, :SLE might be able to medal if they pick up a sneaky win or 2.  

IIRC 100m Gold winning time has been over 10s in last couple of CWG.