website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

What I mind about the Commonwealth Games is the disbalance of nations. Few powerhouses, joined by many more minions. You always get events where Canada is followed by Malawi or something on the leaderboard lol.

This also results in 5 nations being able to host it, but really only 2-3 wanting it...

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

What I mind about the Commonwealth Games is the disbalance of nations. Few powerhouses, joined by many more minions. You always get events where Canada is followed by Malawi or something on the leaderboard lol.

This also results in 5 nations being able to host it, but really only 2-3 wanting it...

Yea really UK and Australia have traded games this century with India hosting once. Canada will likely get 2030 and I can bet you 2034 will be back to Wales or something.

---

I am looking forward to this event as this will be the largest MSE event of the year. Always nice too see and cheer for nations like Norfolk Island who beat Canada to win a bronze last time out.

The commonwealth games is a great place to develop up and coming athletes, not just from smaller nations but bigger ones too. While some events lack quality, others still have the best in the world competing against one another. It's also a great place for sports like Squash and Netball to put a case forward for Olympic inclusion. 

17 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Yea really UK and Australia have traded games this century with India hosting once. Canada will likely get 2030 and I can bet you 2034 will be back to Wales or something.

---

I am looking forward to this event as this will be the largest MSE event of the year. Always nice too see and cheer for nations like Norfolk Island who beat Canada to win a bronze last time out.

Where else are you going to see match-ups like Rwanda v Cyprus, Scotland v The Solomon Islands or Malaysia v Norfolk Island eh?

7 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

I know people don't like the Commonwealth Games very much on this site and tbh justifiably so, but I must admit I'm really looking forward to this

Nah I always look forward to CWG and find it unique. Indeed not many people like the background of the Games, but just let them be… I just want extra dose of high class multi event

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Pretty great way for them to just continue building sports infrastructure all over.

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Pretty great way for them to just continue building sports infrastructure all over.

Yup its important. Can't stress the importance of having world class facilities. Canada's 2020 Olympic success can be mainly contributed to the 2015 Pan Am Games.

I think the hate from the Commonwealth Games comes from people relating it to the British Empire.

I like it because of the level of play thanks to the top nations still buying into it. Outside of the Olympics and Asian Games it probably has the highest level of play. This year is a bit of an exception due to the sport calendar essentially merging 2021 and 2022 into the same year, especially in athletics since the World Championships literally just ended.