website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Having 36 shooting medals is ridiculous, when the Olympics have 15. In any case  the original statement was not "India has underperformed at the CWG. "history of Commonwealth sports." does not equal "CWG". Commonwealth sports = countries who compete at the CWG.

Yes, it is better to have more medals in the great Olympic sport of Lawn bowls

45 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

ask you again how would India have responded if one of the other Commonwealth countries had tried to dictate what sports to include in the programme for Delhi?

Name 1 commonwealth games sport that has consistently taken place from the last 3 decades of cwg  which Delhi couldn't have hosted. Then we'll answer . 

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

Shooting is not a core sport of the CWG and never has been.  It's an optional sport and therefore was not removed from the programme. Nor is it a "major" Olympic sport. It doesn't attract large numbers of spectators and it is difficult to follow either on television or in person.

The thing is, shooting has been on the Commonwealth Games program longer than a quite a few of the core sports. It’s omission as core sport raises some questions, especially since the core sports program was recently reworked. It might not be the most well known Olympic sport, but shooting enjoys a high participation rate at both the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games. For instance, :STH:ANT:NFK:FLK:TCA:NIU all had entries in shooting, when they didn’t even have entries in many of the core sports. Also, with electronic scoring, compelling finals format, and good graphics, it’s not too hard to follow in-person or on television.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

in my opinion......   The excuse given by the CWG is ridiculous .......

They could not hold a shooting championship in South England as they did not have facilities ....Sounds ridculous ... while they could do it manchester , glasgow , edinborough , london, bisley  etc etc  ....... the biusley venue is just an hour and a half away ..... ( closer than the cycling venue ) 

This is clearly aimed at an unsportsmanlike thwarting of sports they do badly at ( and India does wellat ) .........

Personally I think that the Birmingham team are a pack of cheaters ....... and should be called out for what they are ....... I am glad Indians called them out for this .......

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

9 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Name 1 commonwealth games sport that has consistently taken place from the last 3 decades of cwg  which Delhi couldn't have hosted. Then we'll answer . 

So basically you can't answer. India behaves in a way that it wouldn't accept from any other country. Pathetic.

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The thing is, shooting has been on the Commonwealth Games program longer than a quite a few of the core sports. It’s omission as core sport raises some questions, especially since the core sports program was recently reworked. It might not be the most well known Olympic sport, but shooting enjoys a high participation rate at both the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games. For instance, :STH:ANT:NFK:FLK:TCA:NIU all had entries in shooting, when they didn’t even have entries in many of the core sports. Also, with electronic scoring, compelling finals format, and good graphics, it’s not too hard to follow in-person or on television.

Then I suggest that those countries that want it to be a core sport work to achieve that. There's nothing to stop them from doing that. The point is that the decision was solely the organisers as agreed by the CWG federations. India has engaged in bully boy tactics which it would never gave accepted had the boot been on the other foot.

9 hours ago, Dolby said:

Yes, it is better to have more medals in the great Olympic sport of Lawn bowls

Except of course there aren't more medals for lawn bowls than shooting and the CWG isn't intended to be a replica of the OG which is why it includes non-Olympic sports just as the Asian Games does.

9 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

in my opinion......   The excuse given by the CWG is ridiculous .......

They could not hold a shooting championship in South England as they did not have facilities ....Sounds ridculous ... while they could do it manchester , glasgow , edinborough , london, bisley  etc etc  ....... the biusley venue is just an hour and a half away ..... ( closer than the cycling venue ) 

This is clearly aimed at an unsportsmanlike thwarting of sports they do badly at ( and India does wellat ) .........

Personally I think that the Birmingham team are a pack of cheaters ....... and should be called out for what they are ....... I am glad Indians called them out for this .......

Is there a single lie that you will not tell?

"This is clearly aimed at an unsportsmanlike thwarting of sports they do badly at ( and India does wellat ) ........."

2002  British shooters won 24 medals

Indian shooters won 24 medals

2006  British 26

Indian 27

2010   British 30

Indian 30

2014   British 20

Indian 17

2018   British 22

Indian 16

Total    British 122

Indian 114

The numbers demonstrate categorically that the absence of shooting does not benefit the British teams at the expense of India. If anything it is the other way around as India's performance has declined.

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I agree with Olympian 1010 here, shooting is now watchable on television, unlike my old hobby-horse, modern pentathlon... :D :D

A question for those involved with CWG issues: is the removal of shooting and archery only for this edition or is it permanent?

As I am not familiar with the venues I don't know how credible is the explanation that there are no suitable venues