website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

This article in Athletics Weekly explains the reasoning behind the 10 kilometer race walks.

In the race walk events, a 10,000m track race walk replaces the 20km road event, with the programme change designed to give athletes such as England’s 2018 20km race walk silver medallist Tom Bosworth and world junior 10km race walking champion Callum Wilkinson the chance to compete at more than one major championships during a busy 2022 summer.

Birmingham 2022 reveals medal event programme - AW

20 hours ago, intoronto said:

Not surprised, people preach gender equality, but now men have less events, so its technically not gender equality, lol

Hamilton 2026 (the next games bid) was touting they are the first games to offer more for women, but I guess not trolol.

The 10km race walk is absolutely shocking. Who decided to approve this bs? @heywoodu@hckosice

All the events are expected more or less, at least men's events were not dropped to get more women's events.

Happy that more para athletes will get a shot too compete as well, which is unique about these games. 

Disappointed in the team sizes for the team sports. Basketball can easily have 12 per event, beach volleyball 16, rugby women can go to 12.

Wow, that is some bullshit. Oh well, it's only the Commonwealth Games anyway, I can't be too bothered (is what I'm telling myself).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, that is some bullshit. Oh well, it's only the Commonwealth Games anyway, I can't be too bothered (is what I'm telling myself).

The only reason it has more women’s medals is that there will be a Women’s Cricket tournament - Men have plenty of other tournaments - and a Netball tournament, which is a.women-only sport.  Otherwise equality.

27 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

The only reason it has more women’s medals is that there will be a Women’s Cricket tournament - Men have plenty of other tournaments - and a Netball tournament, which is a.women-only sport.  Otherwise equality.

I'm especially meaning the 10km race walk.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

delete.

I am now rather curious why I was mentioned in a post that's now ready to be deleted.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I am now rather curious why I was mentioned in a post that's now ready to be deleted.

I was going post about the LOC rationale for the 10km Race Walk, and then I remembered @PHI2019 already posted an article about it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

And rhythmic gymnastics 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...