website statistics

Pan American Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well they already made a pictogram for it last year, so it’s not much of a surprise :p

Remind me how Roller Hockey is more cost effective than Bowling or Racquetball again? Don’t get me wrong, it’d be cool to see it on the program, but I can’t help but feel bad for some core Pan Am sports that have been cheated here.

Well, for example in Guadalajara's case, the Roller Skating facilities are all together; the part inside the oval of the field hosted Figure Skating and could have hosted Hockey for that matter, so it's a two on one facility, if you design it or adapt it.

21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It isn't. Chile is sort of good in the sport? I hope its shot down. Toronto 2015 proposed cricket (which would have been nice, as some of the smaller caribbean countries could have gotten teams), but that was rejected.

Yes, Chile is probably 2nd best in the continent in men's, and is a true challenger to Argentina in women's.

Cricket? Well I'm sorry for the Caribbean nations, but for me is the most boring, impossible sport to watch for an ocassional spectator, so good thing they went to include women's baseball.

13 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Yes, Chile is probably 2nd best in the continent in men's, and is a true challenger to Argentina in women's.

Cricket? Well I'm sorry for the Caribbean nations, but for me is the most boring, impossible sport to watch for an ocassional spectator, so good thing they went to include women's baseball.

T20 is actually pretty fun to watch, in any case, I made a mistake. It was proposed as a demo sport.

Hamilton 2026 also has proposed cricket, which is beyond me why Canada would propose a sport it has almost no chance to win.

20 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Women’s Baseball was a well loved addition it seems. People bring it up all the time when talking about Toronto 2015.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

27 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Women’s Baseball was a well loved addition it seems. People bring it up all the time when talking about Toronto 2015.

I for one did not like the addition of women's baseball as it unbalanced the baseball event for the men's (7 teams).

Baseball/softball come as a package, and it should be left as is (drop men's softball)

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

I second this.

Besides, quad hockey is popular in all of Latin America, while cricket is restricted to a small number of nations in the Caribbean. It's pretty much like Lacrosse: a sport I can't see being part of the Pan Ams because it's very specific to a small group of nations.

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I second this.

Besides, quad hockey is popular in all of Latin America, while cricket is restricted to a small number of nations in the Caribbean. It's pretty much like Lacrosse: a sport I can't see being part of the Pan Ams because it's very specific to a small group of nations.

In defense of Lacrosse, it is about as Pan American as a sport can get. In terms of origin and top countries. I do agree that it largely non-competitive at the moment, but maybe World Games inclusion will help with that a little.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Honestly, the sport I’m most sad about not being on the Pan Am program is Ulama. Obviously it doesn’t have an international federation, and it’s only played in a few places at the moment (though it is expanding), but it is the most Pan American sport out there. It’s the OG of Pan American sports, having been played by Mesoamericans for centuries. It’s a shame that there’s never really been an effort to develop it on the continent, and get it on the program :(