website statistics

Men's American Football NFL 2020

Totallympics

The liberals will still find a way to blast Dan Snyder. The disdain for this franchise stretches beyond the name. It's just an excuse. Meanwhile Congress still upholds all the Medals of Honor awarded for the Wounded Knee massacre. Washington Redskins team name is the least of all the problems.

So, what next? Cleveland Indians? Atlanta Braves? Florida State Seminoles? They all have to go now if we're being consistent? :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The liberals will still find a way to blast Dan Snyder. The disdain for this franchise stretches beyond the name. It's just an excuse. Meanwhile Congress still upholds all the Medals of Honor awarded for the Wounded Knee massacre. Washington Redskins team name is the least of all the problems.

So, what next? Cleveland Indians? Atlanta Braves? Florida State Seminoles? They all have to go now if we're being consistent? :dunno:

Yes, hopefully the Indians and Braves will change their disrespectful names as well. Seminoles are fine since the Seminole tribe said they are okay with the name.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, hopefully the Indians and Braves will change their disrespectful names as well. Seminoles are fine since the Seminole tribe said they are okay with the name.

Who gives a damn what the Seminoles tribe has to say? This is not how it works. Redskins changed their name because FedEx and Nike told them to do it or else they will pull the financial plug. So this was a financial blackmail. This is about big money, not about the Native tribes :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Who gives a damn what the Seminoles tribe has to say? This is not how it works. Redskins changed their name because FedEx and Nike told them to do it or else they will pull the financial plug. So this was a financial blackmail. This is about big money, not about the Native tribes :dunno:

No, actually it is about the rights of Native Americans. They got those big companies to stand behind them, with help from a large part of populace, for the greater good. 

Also, the statement “Who gives a damn what the Seminole(s) tribe has to say?” is incredibly xenophobic.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, actually it is about the rights of Native Americans. They got those big companies to stand behind them, with help from a large part of populace, for the greater good. 

Also, the statement “Who gives a damn what the Seminole(s) tribe has to say?” is incredibly xenophobic.

Awarding Medals of Honor for the Wounded Knee massacre makes the Congress pretty xenophobic too and everyone is fine with that so I don't see a problem with my statement either :dunno:

Sure, Nike has closed down all their factories in USA and thrives on cheap underpaid labour in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Thailand so they can afford to side with the Native tribes now and look oh-so progressive and defending equal rights. Just don't ask them about child labor in Bangladesh :p I love this hypocrisy and double standards from these multi-millionaire companies.

29 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

That's a bullshit.

That’s what the Native Americans probably thought when they named themselves the “Redskins” in the first place.

You wouldn’t name a team the “Chicago Blacks” or the “New York Caucasians”, so you shouldn’t name a team the “Redskins” either.  

Hear me out. Maybe professional sports teams shouldn’t name themselves after a specific race. In fact, you probably shouldn’t steal a tribe’s name (or any another for a group of people) without their permission first. These feel like some pretty basic/easy rules to follow. 

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s what the Native Americans probably thought when they named themselves the “Redskins” in the first place.

You wouldn’t name a team the “Chicago Blacks” or the “New York Caucasians”, so you shouldn’t name a team the “Redskins” either.  

Hear me out. Maybe professional sports teams shouldn’t name themselves after a specific race. In fact, you probably shouldn’t steal a tribe’s name (or any another for a group of people) without their permission first. These feel like some pretty basic/easy rules to follow. 

We should give rights to the native, we should give law support to the native.

No anyone care about a name, that's just politely. Honestly, as an European with a socialdemocratic political orientation, I think that this new iconostasis fury in the US is just a lost of time. We should me more concrete ;)

10 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

We should give rights to the native, we should give law support to the native.

No anyone care about a name, that's just politely. Honestly, as an European with a socialdemocratic political orientation, I think that this new iconostasis fury in the US is just a lost of time. We should me more concrete ;)

You first point is 100% correct.

The name is itself is incredibly racist though. It doesn’t hurt anyone to change it. It does add to centuries of pain for some to keep it though. So the right thing to do is change it. 

Allowing the name to remain, is allowing racism to remain. Removing name won’t “cure” racism, but it will be a step in the right direction towards a brighter future for this country.