website statistics

Wrestling UWW American Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

Totallympics

Entries for Pan-American Qualifiers

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/pan-american-og-qualifier-entries

I know last minute change is always possible with these entries but I assume the number won't increase, which means we will have two-group format in so many weights. (by my count at least 6) too me that's more fair. two best wrestlers falling in the same half is not possible anymore. that's probably a bad news for some weaker wrestlers hoping for some luck to qualify.

I think USA and Cuba will grab most of men's freestyle (and even in some weights of Greco) quotas unless one of them is already qualified of maybe the blind draw puts them in one side of the bracket. there will be some kind of seeding but that won't change in much, it's still more like a "blind draw"

but to me the most interesting name is Oscar Pino ! per rules they should not let him to wrestle here. but who cares about the rules :d

Athletes who qualified quota places for their NOC at the 2019 Senior World Championships will not have the right to take part in the Continental qualification tournaments of this 2nd phase.

rules don't say he will be allowed if he changes his style ! he won a quota for Cuba at 130kg Greco, now he is trying 125kg freestyle. even though I think with 2-group format his chance is very slim. Gwiazdowski and Dhesi will grab those two quotas IMO. I really feel sorry for this guy. he can be the Olympic champion (with Kayaalp getting weaker) but he is sticking behind the great Mijain Lopez and has to try freestyle which he is terrible at.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

the great Mijain Lopez 

This means Lopez is still very much active and going for another gold? :hyper: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This means Lopez is still very much active and going for another gold? :hyper: 

sure, we knew that for a while. for a year actually.

winning another gold (which is very possible in my opinion) will make him the best wrestler ever at the Olympics with 4 gold medals. the great Karelin has 3 gold (and 1 silver)

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

sure, we knew that for a while. for a year actually.

winning another gold (which is very possible in my opinion) will make him the best wrestler ever at the Olympics with 4 gold medals. the great Karelin has 3 gold (and 1 silver)

Not me :d I'm happy to read it, by far my favourite wrestler (easy if you barely know wrestlers, but still), the man is a freaking monster :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not me :d I'm happy to read it, by far my favourite wrestler (easy if you barely know wrestlers, but still), the man is a freaking monster :bowdown:

he is indeed a monster and always fun to watch

while i still like him a lot, it's still hard to cheer for someone like him. most wrestling experts believe he lost 3 matches intentionally in his career, 3 World Championship finals, personally I'm sure about 2 of them at least. of course the Olympic gold is not for sale. he is going to win that once again.

but his participation means Cuba won't be seeded here, so it's 50% possible to see him and Kayaalp in one side of the draw. which will be terrible for other wrestlers in that half.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

he is indeed a monster and always fun to watch

while i still like him a lot, it's still hard to cheer for someone like him. most wrestling experts believe he lost 3 matches intentionally in his career, 3 World Championship finals, personally I'm sure about 2 of them at least. of course the Olympic gold is not for sale. he is going to win that once again.

but his participation means Cuba won't be seeded here, so it's 50% possible to see him and Kayaalp in one side of the draw. which will be terrible for other wrestlers in that half.

I believe you once told about it, it might have had something to do with coming from a very poor background? Doesn't make it good, but at least a bit more understandable..

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I believe you once told about it, it might have had something to do with coming from a very poor background? Doesn't make it good, but at least a bit more understandable..

of course, and that's a common thing for Cuban wrestlers, not much recently but it happened a lot 10-15 years ago. when UWW president was in Iran in a TV show, they even asked him about this, he said "we know but unfortunately we can't do anything unless there are proofs" !

but Mijain Lopez is not an ordinary wrestler, he is the best of the best. you would expect more pride from such a great wrestler. :thumbdown: and his defeats were not just "walkover" that would be more acceptable, apparently those who paid him wanted a show and he had to lose on the mat. I remember in one of his Kayaalp defeats he even dived for a single leg !!! :facepalm: (which is illegal in Greco)

20 hours ago, MHSN said:

Entries for Pan-American Qualifiers

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/pan-american-og-qualifier-entries

I know last minute change is always possible with these entries but I assume the number won't increase, which means we will have two-group format in so many weights. (by my count at least 6) too me that's more fair. two best wrestlers falling in the same half is not possible anymore. that's probably a bad news for some weaker wrestlers hoping for some luck to qualify.

I think USA and Cuba will grab most of men's freestyle (and even in some weights of Greco) quotas unless one of them is already qualified of maybe the blind draw puts them in one side of the bracket. there will be some kind of seeding but that won't change in much, it's still more like a "blind draw"

but to me the most interesting name is Oscar Pino ! per rules they should not let him to wrestle here. but who cares about the rules :d

rules don't say he will be allowed if he changes his style ! he won a quota for Cuba at 130kg Greco, now he is trying 125kg freestyle. even though I think with 2-group format his chance is very slim. Gwiazdowski and Dhesi will grab those two quotas IMO. I really feel sorry for this guy. he can be the Olympic champion (with Kayaalp getting weaker) but he is sticking behind the great Mijain Lopez and has to try freestyle which he is terrible at.

Who are your favourites based on entries?

19 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Who are your favourites based on entries?

OK I will name 3 wrestlers for each weight in case top 2 fall in the same half of the draw. no need for the 3rd guy in weights using 2-group format.

I hope I don't miss anybody. sometimes there are NCAA wrestlers not familiar for me representing other Pan-American countries and they are usually good enough

57: :USA:CUB === :VEN

65: :CUB:USA === really hard to pick a 3rd guy in this weight

74: :CUB:PUR:COL in no order, I think these 3 guys are in the same level

86: :USA:CUB === :VEN, I would put Moore in the same level as VEN guy but I don't know the new guy of Canada.

97: :CUB:VEN

125: :USA:CAN

and Greco

60: :ECU:CUB === :USA

67: :USA:BRA === :VEN really hard picks for me, this weight will be wide open, no clear favorite

77: :USA:VEN:COL:CUB in no order

87: :CUB:VEN === :USA

97: :USA:CUB

130: :CHI:USA === :VEN