website statistics

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

George_D

39 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I didn't see our boxer lose 3-2 to the British guy today so I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the British had help from the referees based on what other people here are saying about British boxers.

Did anyone see this fight to confirm my suspicions?

I wouldn't base your conclusions on the delusions of one or two contributors here just because their boxers didn't get the result they hoped for. British boxing has little or no influence within the administration of the boxing world. What they have is a great programme and a long history of success. Only the US and Cuba have won more medals in Olympic boxing. The quality of the boxers is reflected in the large numbers who go on to success in professional boxing with significant numbers winning world titles.

The same can also be said of Ireland where boxing accounts for more than half of all the medals won by that country in Olympic competition. The sport has been a part of British and Irish culture since the 18th century and attracts some of those countries top athletes. It is not surprising they do well in international competition.

As far as the fight involving your countryman was concerned I had him narrowly winning the first round with his opponent doing likewise in the second. It came down to the last round and as Dragon said the British boxer just edged it on his finish. It really could have gone either way and that was reflected in the judges scoring. Who ever lost could consider themselves unlucky. I really regret that we won't be having a final world qualifier to give boxers a last chance to get to Tokyo via the ring as your man would have had a strong chance of still making it.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes, both Ireland and USA had 8 boxers in Rio 2016 but we never had more boxers than USA.

One of the mysteries for me has been the decline of American boxing at Olympic level over the last twenty years. Every four years they, together with Cuba, seemed to carve up the gold medals between them. Now they often seem to struggle to win medals of any colour.

Boxing does seem to have more losers complain of corruption than any other sport. With some fights it’s genuinely impossible for ‘normal’ viewers to separate the two

The only Irish fighter I think was CLEARLY robbed was Michael Conlon against the Russian in Rio. Others have claimed to have been robbed but I wouldn’t agree

the only British fighter I think who was given a fight they shouldn’t have was Joshua in London. He’s proven himself since but he lost that final in my opinion

2 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

One of the mysteries for me has been the decline of American boxing at Olympic level over the last twenty years. Every four years they, together with Cuba, seemed to carve up the gold medals between them. Now they often seem to struggle to win medals of any colour.

Young boxers just bypass the ‘golden gloves’ circuit now to go pro at 18/19. 

1 minute ago, dodge said:

Boxing does seem to have more losers complain of corruption than any other sport. With some fights it’s genuinely impossible for ‘normal’ viewers to separate the two

The only Irish fighter I think was CLEARLY robbed was Michael Conlon against the Russian in Rio. Others have claimed to have been robbed but I wouldn’t agree

the only British fighter I think who was given a fight they shouldn’t have was Joshua in London. He’s proven himself since but he lost that final in my opinion

I agree with everything you've said.

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

I agree with everything you've said.

I agree with the comments on Conlon but not quite on Joshua's final.

Under the current scoring he would definitely have lost 29-28 to the Italian but on 2012 scoring I think he did enough in round 3 to make up the deficit on the 1st two rounds. Although he definitely lost to the Cuban in his first bout in 2012

has someone watched the Gadzhimagomedov vs Mouhiidine match?

I just read the result and a few lines by the OA sport website, but I don't trust them at all when it comes to boxing...I haven't watched the bout, so I don't know what to think about it...:mumble: