website statistics

Boxing IOC Asian & Oceanian Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

Totallympics

The Tajikistan boxer at light heavy also fights for a place in the Olympics but he's up against the world champion from Kazakhstan

Coincidentally, 2 fighters at heavy and 5 at super heavy only have to win one match to qualify (and quite a few in the women's events too)

Looking forward to the qualifiers....India in the men... Ashish and Satish in qtrs rest in rd of 16 ... In my opinion India has a great squad in lower weights upto 75 and an average sqd after that

1. Amit...52...top seeded...Should qualify easily he has pretty average boxers for the next 2 bouts and he is current Asian champ... World silver... 

2 . Gaurav...... 57 ..... Facing a very tough next bout miraziz of uzb(  Current world champ )1... So 90% get eliminated ... Pity as he is a real beautiful boxer lovely straight lines... I think kavinder was not an attractive boxer.. Very old fashioned shell guard

3. Manish kaushik...63... Shocked that he is not seeded....current world bronze medallist .. Faces PNG boxer and MGL third seed..... I feel he can win both .... He is one graceful boxer.. Really one of our best 

4. Vikas... 69 ....firmer world bronze medalist and . In my view Indias most talented boxer.... Often badly prepared... Has been away for a year tried to turn pro ... But I think he looks focussed and has dropped a weight class..... But should win against KGZ and JPN.... 

5. Ashish... 75 .... Lovely lines and has a huge height advantage eliminated the 3rd seed Uulu should win against INA I believe..... 

6 . Sachin..... 81... Very unknown.... Faces a relatively easy draw... SAM and than a comparatively weak KGZ seed ..... But no clue.... 

7 Naman... 91 .... I think may beat SYR in rd of 16 ..... He is I think is not at all graceful boxer... 

Will probably lose to Nyika of NZL..... ( personally I think Sumit Sangwan is a better boxer in this weight) 

8 .Satish... 91+ ....seeded 4 ....Should qualify has only one bout against MGL.... He is a very workmanlike boxer and should win.... 

I hope for 4-5 qualifiers 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Women....  Hugely talented squad all are in qtrs except Mary

Mary kom...51 ... World legend.....6 time world champion, current bronze medallist in 51 ...Seeded second... Has two bouts but is facing a relatively easy draw...should qualify fairly easily..... 

Sakshi 57 ....twice youth gold medallist 2017, 2018.....is young . Has won against the 4th seed THA... was not really fluid..... And possibly a bit lucky to win..... Faces Aeji of KOR.... Aeji was fairly fluid but I think Sakshi would win 

Simranjit 60 ....2018 world bronze... Faces second seed MGL .......can win I feel as I feel Namuun is not that great a boxer.... But may be close... 

Lovlina... 69 ...2018 ,.2019 world bronze, seeded second should win one bout as has an easy draw... 

Pooja....75 ...current Asian champ 2019 ...Seeded 4th ... Has just one bout against unknown THA should win.... 

Should have 4-5 qualifiers after that the real work would start I think

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

24 minutes ago, dodge said:

BTW at this stage we still have 26 nations in the qualifiers. :IND and :MGL still have boxers in all 13 weight categories.

:AFG :PAK :SYR are down to one each

Of the Oceania countries;

12 - :AUS 

5 - :NZL 

4 - :SAM 

2 - :PNG 

Just curious how about powerhouses UZB, KAZ and CHN..... 

Interesting to see :SAM Ato Plodzicki-Faoagali in the heavyweight. He usually competes in the light heavyweight. Maybe he thought it would be easier? Should he win his first round match his opponent to qualify to the Olympics will either be the 2019 Asian Championship gold or bronze medalist.

5 hours ago, dodge said:

Huge shock in the light heavyweight earlier with world silver medalist from :UZB Ruzmetov losing a split decision to Aokuso of :AUS 

I saw this bout... It was close, I felt that Aus did win a close fight..... It was the first very close UZB bout I have seen in the last couple of years that UZB has lost ( Under UZB presdent ) ...... So definitely feel this non AIBA led qualifier had been far fairer than earlier AIBA led events ??

14 hours ago, dodge said:

In the men's competition :KAZ and :UZB still have all 8 but they're down to 3 and 4 in the women's events

:CHN has 6 men and 4 women left

In their only meetings so far, :KAZ baet :CHN at mens lightweight while :CHN beat :KAZ at women's feather

Happy to say as of right now.... India have all 13 still boxing....... I think we now are the only nation to be able to say that ..... Considering that Asia are a dominant force in boxing that is super cool ? ..... I feel at least till quarters we will have 12/13 .....