website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile some more facemask research being done, this time by the Delft University. The results are....not promising: only a medical KN95 mask is tested as 'good' and those are specifically mentioned by the government as things people should not buy (the rules specifically state people should wear non-medical masks).

The regular masks one buys were tested very poorly and the homemade things from bedsheets or clothes or something aren't even worthy of being called 'poor'. So yes, false sense of security coming in, while distance - as always  - remains the only effective way to stop the spread.

100% mask efficiency is a fairy tale, just like the distancing measure always being applicable. If masks are able to stop the spread 50%, then that's 50% worth saving.

One other thing, you will not get COVID-19 from inhaling one (1) coronavirus. There would have to be a considerable amount of viruses, and masks do help here.

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

100% mask efficiency is a fairy tale, just like the distancing measure always being applicable. If masks are able to stop the spread 50%, then that's 50% worth saving.

One other thing, you will not get COVID-19 from inhaling one (1) coronavirus. There would have to be a considerable amount of viruses, and masks do help here.

Yes, if the non-medical masks help 5-10 percent or so (more than that is just a bit too optimistic and/or based on everyone using masks in the absolute perfect way, which probably not more than 1% actually does), it's not at all a problem to wear them (not for me, at least), every little bit helps. It's just that, at least here (country, not 'here' as in this forum), some people seem to think it's like one of the biggest steps in stopping the spread. It helps a tiny bit, but it's not really the thing that gives big hits to the spread.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

They should do an antibody test on everyone. That way they’d know what percentage of the population has had Covid-19. 

One of the successful states in India in controlling the pandemic is Tamil Nadu. All thanks to banning the antibody test and yet having lowest positivity rate of 4% with only RTPCR test. Antibody testing is highly inaccurate and not the way forward. 

Meanwhile, I can't believe experts still call this COVID-19. Is it the bureaucracy or just plain laziness stopping them from changing it to COVID-20?

Future generations will be inclined to think that things started going downhill in 2019, while in reality 2019 was NOTHING like 2020. :facepalm: It's like the whole thing of Native Americans being referred to as Indians, just because some dude was wrong.

#banbestmen

26 minutes ago, dcro said:

Meanwhile, I can't believe experts still call this COVID-19. Is it the bureaucracy or just plain laziness stopping them from changing it to COVID-20?

Future generations will be inclined to think that things started going downhill in 2019, while in reality 2019 was NOTHING like 2020. :facepalm: It's like the whole thing of Native Americans being referred to as Indians, just because some dude was wrong.

But that's just future generations being dumb then, since the name has nothing to do with when it started going downhill :p 

I find it more annoying that a huge majority of the population (here, at least) calls it 'corona'. As in, "I heard he has corona". Ugh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

But that's just future generations being dumb then, since the name has nothing to do with when it started going downhill :p 

I find it more annoying that a huge majority of the population (here, at least) calls it 'corona'. As in, "I heard he has corona". Ugh.

It would have been so, so easy to come up with literally any other non-misleading name. No excuse. :dunno:

#banbestmen

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Meanwhile some more facemask research being done, this time by the Delft University. The results are....not promising: only a medical KN95 mask is tested as 'good' and those are specifically mentioned by the government as things people should not buy (the rules specifically state people should wear non-medical masks).

The regular masks one buys were tested very poorly and the homemade things from bedsheets or clothes or something aren't even worthy of being called 'poor'. So yes, false sense of security coming in, while distance - as always  - remains the only effective way to stop the spread.

to be generous, it's a biased research...

we all know that common surgical masks don't save you to get infected, but they prevent you to leave your droplets in the air (if you keep it always on and use it correctly, of course)...

so, they also have a very important role in avoiding more spreading of the virus...:evil:

I rather trust million doctors saying this than a most likely biased study of an unknown institute...:whistle:

8000 Soldiers will secure the nationwide testing.

“We’re planning to deploy all active soldiers, police officers, firefighters and medical workers,” Defence Minister Jaroslav Naď (OĽaNO) told the press conference.

If the testing will not be successfull the country will experience a complete 2 weeks lockdown

More in English here https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22513268/nationwide-testing-will-be-secured-by-the-army.html

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

to be generous, it's a biased research...

we all know that common surgical masks don't save you to get infected, but they prevent you to leave your droplets in the air (if you keep it always on and use it correctly, of course)...

so, they also have a very important role in avoiding more spreading of the virus...:evil:

The thing is, droplets and stuff just gets through it mostly (to the outside, I mean). Don't take it like "oh so he refuses to wear masks!", because I don't, I'm just annoyed when seeing people with masks act as if distance suddenly isn't the main thing anymore then.