website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

hace 2 horas, heywoodu dijo:

Yeah it's hard to think about what is the more dangerous situation: cultures where old people live mostly on their own or together with other old people (like nursing homes, or other forms of living maybe with some assistance), against cultures where old people often live with their younger relatives. 

Nursing homes in Spain are one of the biggest centers of infections....

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@thiago_simoes @vinipereira How's it going in the places you live? I'm hearing from your fellow Totallympian from Caraguatatuba that they are pretty much outright refusing to test people there unless they fit absolutely 100% of all possible criteria (and not even then, in some cases). Basically, people are getting sick, yet not even being tested if they fit the criteria, and then sent home..

The vast majority of people are at home since the public health system cannot cope with new infections and the private health system is a total disaster (they don't even test for covid-19 in most places). I'm worried about my health in the future because amidst all this crazy situation, the federal government greenlighted my transferal to Rio de Janeiro (almost one thousand kilometers from where I currently live) and I have to be there in 30 days. The problem (besides the pandemic, of course) is that state borders are currently closed and there's no way I can take a bus and go there. Even flights are being suspended. I'll go back to Rio so I can live with my mom, who is 70 and needs my help, and I just can't risk being infected because I could also infect her. I'll go crazy with all this.

13 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

The vast majority of people are at home since the public health system cannot cope with new infections and the private health system is a total disaster (they don't even test for covid-19 in most places). I'm worried about my health in the future because amidst all this crazy situation, the federal government greenlighted my transferal to Rio de Janeiro (almost one thousand kilometers from where I currently live) and I have to be there in 30 days. The problem (besides the pandemic, of course) is that state borders are currently closed and there's no way I can take a bus and go there. Even flights are being suspended. I'll go back to Rio so I can live with my mom, who is 70 and needs my help, and I just can't risk being infected because I could also infect her. I'll go crazy with all this.

Is there no way to go by regular car? I know going to Rio is still (or again) possible that way, at least yesterday it was. I believe there are signs banning bigger vehicles though (like buses)?

Edit: I guess if you're actually moving there it might be a bit of an (impossible) challenge to go with only a regular car..

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Unfortunately I got infected through my roommate who came back from Austria about 1,5 week ago after the town he visited got quarantined due to a Corona outbreak. He and all of his friends he went on the trip with all got sick after returning to the Netherlands. Fortunately, my roommate has already recovered in full and I'm slowly recovering as well, and luckily we both only had mild symptoms. However, I've been locked inside with my roommate for more than a full week now and I'm already slowly going crazy. We can't even go outside to buy groceries or medication and have to rely on friends and family to drop that off at the door. Although I'm very thankful for everyone's support, I can't wait to go outside again in a few days when I'm fully recovered, even if it's only a 5-minute walk to the nearest supermarket.

You still want to remain roommates after this? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Bro’s before Covid-19 :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Unfortunately I got infected through my roommate who came back from Austria about 1,5 week ago after the town he visited got quarantined due to a Corona outbreak. He and all of his friends he went on the trip with all got sick after returning to the Netherlands. Fortunately, my roommate has already recovered in full and I'm slowly recovering as well, and luckily we both only had mild symptoms. However, I've been locked inside with my roommate for more than a full week now and I'm already slowly going crazy. We can't even go outside to buy groceries or medication and have to rely on friends and family to drop that off at the door. Although I'm very thankful for everyone's support, I can't wait to go outside again in a few days when I'm fully recovered, even if it's only a 5-minute walk to the nearest supermarket.

In few more days you will be ok and your life will be "closer" to what it was before this, come on!!

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Hahaha, don't have much of a choice with these housing prices here in Amsterdam.

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Bro’s before Covid-19 :p

That's right! :cool: He's a nice guy. He asked me if it was okay that he would come back to Amsterdam as his mother had cancer not that long ago and staying with her would be a higher risk than staying with me. We tried everything we could to keep the virus contained by for example having him only stay in his bedroom and me providing him with food by leaving it in front of his doorstep, but to no avail.

14 minutes ago, konig said:

In few more days you will be ok and your life will be "closer" to what it was before this, come on!!

I can't wait. Thanks for the support!

24 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Hahaha, don't have much of a choice with these housing prices here in Amsterdam.

That's right! :cool: He's a nice guy. He asked me if it was okay that he would come back to Amsterdam as his mother had cancer not that long ago and staying with her would be a higher risk than staying with me. We tried everything we could to keep the virus contained by for example having him only stay in his bedroom and me providing him with food by leaving it in front of his doorstep, but to no avail.

I can't wait. Thanks for the support!

As someone who lives is similarly unaffordable state/country, I can say with absolute certainty that hosing prices will kill you before Covid-19 can :p

Yeah from the stories I’ve heard, if you’ve been exposed to someone who has the virus, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll catch. Luckily your young(ish) and presumably healthy, so the statistics are much in your favor. Plus, you can live your life with a lot less fear than the rest of us once this is over for you :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela