website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It makes literally zero difference though. To try and contain the spread at least inside the country, they should have completely closed borders for people coming out of the then affected areas, specifically Wuhan/Hubei/China, Iran, South Korea and Italy. Blocking people from Ecuador or Burundi, for example, makes zero difference considering they'd be coming into a more affected area instead of bringing something into a less affected area.

I agree that they should close the borders much much much earlier. now there is a need to limit the damage, because this will spread as heck, according our analysts the peak in our country thanks the radical measures will be around mid June when it should hit around 10% of the population of the country

This is their predictions according our current measures - the peak with more than half milion of cases should be around the 110th day

Day after first case   Prevalence   Patiens with symptoms  Hospitalized Patients   Serious cases

Z3XOVtFLQcC1Vsw_s0O1eg.png?t=L2ZpdC1pbi8

However, the Analytic model also shows scenarios as to what would have happened if we had done nothing, or only partially done some basic measures.

If we did nothing, after 26 days we have up to 45 percent of the population infected, which means that every second inhabitant of Slovakia would have the disease.

The third model shows what would happen if we left the original measures in Slovakia before the Sundays set. On Sunday, the crisis team adopted a series of further more radical restrictions. In this case, we would reach the peak of the number of infected on the 60th day, when 25 percent of the population would be infected.

Source in Sovak interesting reading https://www.aktuality.sk/clanok/773779/koronavirus-opatreniami-sme-si-kupili-dva-mesiace-potom-moze-nastat-problem/

And so every country has their own - often totally different - predictions, all based on people who I definitely dare say are indeed experts. There are also plenty of experts who warn that these insanely strict measures may only postpone the huge peak and give the exact same troubles (or more), only later. Only time will tell who was right..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Here too, that cliche thing of clapping out of the windows at 20:00 (I listened and only heard one faint clap in the distance, but in the cities there were more - I'm glad I don't live there). TV news even mentioned it and showed videos of groups of people clapping and cheering together, out on the street...that is exactly what you shouldn't do, freaking idiots!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And so every country has their own - often totally different - predictions, all based on people who I definitely dare say are indeed experts. There are also plenty of experts who warn that these insanely strict measures may only postpone the huge peak and give the exact same troubles (or more), only later. Only time will tell who was right..

Chinese system of total prohibition was quite effective. 

As a physician, i can tell you that restrictive measures are really effective if conducted properly.

1 minute ago, ChandlerMne said:

Chinese system of total prohibition was quite effective. 

As a physician, i can tell you that restrictive measures are really effective if conducted properly.

But it still remains to be seen how much damage those measures have done in the end (and no, one can't simply say "but economics is just money", it's also - and even more - about people's livelihoods), and even whether or not it won't sort of restart when everything gets back to normal and people go out and about by the millions again.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But it still remains to be seen how much damage those measures have done in the end (and no, one can't simply say "but economics is just money", it's also - and even more - about people's livelihoods), and even whether or not it won't sort of restart when everything gets back to normal and people go out and about by the millions again.

It surely isn't just money. Economics allow to save people's life and if the lockdown is too long people will start dying for reasons linked to that.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I see your point. And agree to some extent. We will see what will happen in China. Number of imported cases is higher than domestic ones. I would advise them not to loosen their measures at least 4 more weeks. That period will be sufficient for us to see if there will be more cases of reinfection or some atypic cases with longer incubation. With just dozen of cases on daily basis with declining trending, China will effectivelly eradicate epidemic.

7 minutes ago, Sindo said:

It surely isn't just money. Economics allow to save people's life and if the lockdown is too long people will start dying for reasons linked to that.

Exactly! That's one of the biggest issues with a too tight lockdown, and only time will tell which countries did it 'right' and which didn't.