website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

We should cross 600 million atleast partially vaccinated citizens and 200 million fully vaccinated citizens by tomorrow. Considering that we are averaging 5-6 million vaccinations per day, I am hopeful that we should cross 90% partially vaccinated mark by November end. 

By the way, today is a mega vaccination drive in India. To celebrate PM Modi's birthday, there are extra efforts on part of ruling party members to get maximum vaccination done. We are nearing 10 million vaccinations already and the pace at which it is going I am expecting it to near 20 million vaccinations for the day. 

If anybody is interested in the vaccination statistics for India, you can find them here:

https://dashboard.cowin.gov.in/

On 9/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, NearPup said:

What's frustrating is that we have vaccines available *everywhere* for free. You don't even need to book an appointment, you just show up and they stick a needle in your arm.

I assume there is some sort of registration though? I mean, surely when you show up you show your identification, they can see if you've had a shot or two already? It makes quite a difference whether someone has had 0 shots or went to these things for fun and had 30 already, one can assume :p 

The option to just show up out of the blue does sound good, but it does increase the need for strict registration..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, Agger said:

When you say 90 % vaccinated, do you mean of the ones who can get the shot? I mean, right now it's only approved for 12 years and up (though Pfizer is testing on younger already). With that, most countries have a hard time getting to 80 %.

Yes, I mean of those eligible. 30-35% of India's population is under 18, so impossible to cross 60% of total population before kids vaccination starts. 

Although Zycov-D has been given emergency approval for 12-18 group about a month back, it has not been launched yet. I am expecting rollout for kids by November end. By that time, we should have a decent amount of Zycov-D vaccines available and also stress on delivery system will also be less. 

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I assume there is some sort of registration though? I mean, surely when you show up you show your identification, they can see if you've had a shot or two already? It makes quite a difference whether someone has had 0 shots or went to these things for fun and had 30 already, one can assume :p 

The option to just show up out of the blue does sound good, but it does increase the need for strict registration..

That’s entirely dependent on who gives the shots. There is no national database.

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

That’s entirely dependent on who gives the shots. There is no national database.

So theoretically, someone could go and get dozens of shots and nobody would know it? That sounds somehow dangerous :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 9/17/2021 at 3:50 AM, opruh said:

Chile, Brazil and Indonesia's cases have gone down now. Hoping for our cases to go down soon too.

Don't be fooled, the number of cases in Indonesia had gone down because the test rate was also decreased.. The Ministry of Health cited many reasons behind this, including a so-called database migration to consolidate all test data in national level

It goes to say that when more testing is done, more cases will be detected. However if less testing is done, less cases detected. Usually people only look at the number of cases but missed out on the number of test done according to the number of population. Well seems like rich countries may have more resources to conduct more tests. However poor countries may have difficulties to carry out more tests due to financial constraints.