website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

55k new cases in the US yesterday, compared to 20k/day rate from few weeks ago.

So much for BLM protestors being all perfect, fighting for the cause and protecting the public's health all at the same time.

#banbestmen

18 minutes ago, dcro said:

So much for BLM protestors being all perfect, fighting for the cause and protecting the public's health all at the same time.

That was already long gone on day one or two when groups started rampaging through cities instead of protesting :p 

But yeah, it hasn't helped.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Scholarly research would like to have a word with you.

Evidence 1: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/01/research-determines-protests-did-not-cause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/#32492bd57dac

Evidence 2: https://apnews.com/5a283df1b23ecc5c4b19803d320d0ebc?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APHealthScience

Evidence 3: https://www.vox.com/2020/6/26/21300636/coronavirus-pandemic-black-lives-matter-protests

Full copy of the study that they all cite, complete with all data collected: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

So while there is the possibility that protests might have raised the infection rate, there is very little evidence, if any, that suggests that. There is, however, evidence for other events that have caused the infection rate of Covid-19 to soar in the United States.

Evidence: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/24/883017035/what-contact-tracing-may-tell-about-cluster-spread-of-the-coronavirus

It is also worth noting the amount of people who are straight refusing to wear masks, and even gathering at their own protests against masks and quarantine measures. One might suggest this continued and proliferated the spread of Covid-19. I will admit, however, that I have not seen any evidence to suggest this yet, but I would absolutely encourage researchers to investigate it.

I would also like to be clear that this isn’t a personal attack on @dcro (minus my first statement, sorry). I am sick and tired of people not taking this virus seriously in the U.S, and of people blaming public anger about systemic racism for the virus, over public indifference to the advice of all our medical professionals.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, dcro said:

:cry:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Pretty sure you can find scholarly work which suggests the contrary. The virus can spread even when you are wearing masks and keeping distance, so at that point it all turns into grey area. Staying at home and keeping social distance undoubtedly helps though.

My point being, just because someone is fighting for a cause, that doesn't make them any less prone to making poor judgements regarding the spread of the virus. These protests will likely cause hundreds if not thousands of lost lives.

#banbestmen

29 minutes ago, dcro said:

Pretty sure you can find scholarly work which suggests the contrary. The virus can spread even when you are wearing masks and keeping distance, so at that point it all turns into grey area. Staying at home and keeping social distance undoubtedly helps though.

My point being, just because someone is fighting for a cause, that doesn't make them any less prone to making poor judgements regarding the spread of the virus. These protests will likely cause hundreds if not thousands of lost lives.

I would love to read any research on the topic that you can provide that suggests this. 

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would love to read any research on the topic that you can provide that suggests this. 

To be honest, you needn't go any further than common sense. :p Washington saw the largest protests in 50 years. Ergo the virus went rampant.

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

To be honest, you needn't go any further than common sense. :p Washington saw the largest protests in 50 years. Ergo the virus went rampant.

Actually, in critical discourse you do. I’ve found that when people don’t have the necessary evidence to back up their claims, they immediately move to “common sense” in order to justify it. 

I do agree that Covid-19 has spread at protests no doubt, but pinning it all on BLM protests in particular is where I take issue. There has been clear evidence of Covid-19 “mass spread” events at multiple other social functions, such as parties, restaurants, and sports. Not to mention the protests against masks and quarantines that were also happening nationwide.

Also, you might want to read that NPR article I shared before committing to that Washington claim...

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Actually, in critical discourse you do. I’ve found that when people don’t have the necessary evidence to back up their claims, they immediately move to “common sense” in order to justify it. 

I do agree that Covid-19 has spread at protests no doubt, but pinning it all on BLM protests in particular is where I take issue. There has been clear evidence of Covid-19 “mass spread” events at multiple other social functions, such as parties, restaurants, and sports. Not to mention the protests against masks and quarantines that were also happening nationwide.

Also, you might want to read that NPR article I shared before committing to that Washington claim...

And how are parties, restaurants, sports any different as infection-breeding grounds than protests? They may be held indoors, sure, but to an incomparably lower extent than mass outdoors gatherings (during which people often got packed like sardines judging by the photos from Washington and other places).

And I disagree about your common sense statement. Just like the virus is not sleeping during late-night parties, it is most definitely not sleeping during social unrests either. Common sense also tells me that scholarly works can be subjective when dealing with sensitive issues like this one (as in made to support certain claims whatever they may be). You can get persecuted for any kind of claims against these protests. This is America we are talking about, after all.

#banbestmen