website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

From 00:00 on March 18, the entry into the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria of the citizens of China, Iran, Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Spain, Italy, South Korea, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Great Britain and Northern Ireland is forbidden .

The exception is citizens with permanent, long-term or long-term residence in the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria and their family members.

Now 177 cases and 4 deaths in :POL 

According our Ministry of Health we will reach the peak of cases and deaths in 2-3 weeks, then, if people will respect restrictions number of cases will slowly down. Hopefully he is right and sooner than later we will come back to normal life :pope::fingers:

53 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Impossible to say which of the two main takes is the best, but I'll be interesting to see in a few months: total lockdown vs more of an acceptance/group immunity kind of way...

I think they both have significant pros and cons, very happy I'm not the one who has to decide this stuff.

group immunity can't exist without most people having already taken a vaccine against that disease...

it's the basic principle behind this theory, which is the leading theory and option for well know viruses we have a vaccine available for...

but for unknown / still without an effective medicine to fight against kind of sickness, it's just like playing the russian roulette...:evil: :pope: :facepalm: :wall:

33 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

The term "group immunity" is introduced by Boris in Chinese media. And the media interpret it as first 60%-70% people infected and then gradually stop spread by huge amounts of antibody. If I understand it correctly, those vulnerable are already dead during this process, only those strong enough are left, more like an evolution process. On the other hand, during this process say 50% people infected with 15% are in critical condition, that means 7.5% population or 5 million people in UK need beds and medics. It's obviously over capacity. Can't imagine the picture like that.

So based on the interpretation above, Chinese media criticize countries trying to adopt "group immunity” are irresponsible and cruel. I am sure if I am misled by media and also I am curious about foreigners' opinion on it.

group immunity is based on the principle of putting the longer distance / reducing the chance to the minimum that sick people meet someone who's not already immune and therefore gets infected...

for it to be effective, you normally need to have at least 90% to 95% of people already immune to the sickness you want to keep under control...

basically, it's what you do with disease like measles and chicken pox, which most people are already vaccinated against...as long those people can't get it, you only need to protect a low number of weak people from the virus and avoid it to infect them...

but obviously it can't be done with a virus that doesn't have not only a true vaccine, but even a sure safe effective medicine to treat the worst cases...

those who are proposing such kind of measure are absolutely crazy and should go back to school and study what group immunity truly is about and how it really works...:wall:

letting such kind of virus spread would mean an unacceptable enormous amount of people dying, even among youngsters and among those who are supposed to be able to survive the infection...

Edited by phelps

The most important question is the following:

are we sure that one who survived this disease is immunized and can’t get ill again?

because it is usual getting influenza two-three times per year, flu even more. It is not to be excluded this to happen

Meanwhile here in America, Trump tells all 50 governors that they are on their own when they ask for ventilators, supplies, etc. I know @Olympian1010's governor will be livid, but mine is a Trumper

Some states are issuing new restrictions on bars and restaurant (and New Jersey now has a curfew, from 8pm-5am)

Just now, dezbee2008 said:

Meanwhile here in America, Trump tells all 50 governors that they are on their own when they ask for ventilators, supplies, etc. I know @Olympian1010's governor will be livid, but mine is a Trumper

Some states are issuing new restrictions on bars and restaurant (and New Jersey now has a curfew, from 8pm-5am)

The weird thing is that the virus will be worse in “blue states”, since will have the majority of the big population centers. Even if we’re much better prepared, this will be an “easier” issue for the “red states” (maybe except for Florida and Texas). We’ve actually seen an interesting turn in pro-Californian succession thanks to Trump’s response to the virus. I love my state government, but even I know we need the national government’s support on stuff like this. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

The most important question is the following:

are we sure that one who survived this disease is immunized and can’t get ill again?

because it is usual getting influenza two-three times per year, flu even more. It is not to be excluded this to happen

actually, we are reasonbly sure of the opposite...being infected and surviving doesn't make you immune at all...

a few cases of a second infection have already been reported...

that's another reason why the group immunity theory can't be applied to this virus (at least for now...if and when we have a vaccine against it, then things might change and the immunity group theory would make more sense)...

Edited by phelps