website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

Just to round up Coronavirus in California:

We’re now referring to it as the “boomer remover”

“Mayans” is trending on Twitter because everyone is congratulating them for only being 8 years off the end of the world.

Everyone’s tweeting about how California should secede if Trump levels a travel ban against us.

Pretty normal night really :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yep, definitely my least favorite US President:

He's not wrong, NBA was suspended, March Madness cancelled, Champions league played behind close doors, what do you think will happen in the olympics? can you have it behind close doors? off course not. This is the right thing to do, postponing by one year

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

He's not wrong, NBA was suspended, March Madness cancelled, Champions league played behind close doors, what do you think will happen in the olympics? can you have it behind close doors? off course not. This is the right thing to do, postponing by one year

We don’t know if the Olympics will be affected by Covid-19 yet. There’s a big difference between a one month suspension for most countries/sports leagues in March/April, and postponing/canceling the Olympics held in July/August. 

I don’t know when I become the sensible one around here, but I don’t like it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We don’t know if the Olympics will be affected by Covid-19 yet. There’s a big difference between a one month suspension for most countries/sports leagues in March/April, and postponing/canceling the Olympics held in July/August. 

I don’t know when I become the sensible one around here, but I don’t like it.

Off course you dont, and it might be ok, but i doubt it, and you're not talking about 20k people from l.a coming to staples center, you are talking about millions from everywhere in the world coming to one city, this is a monumental contagion risk! 

Again, would you have it behind close doors?

Disneyland was closed , DISNEYLAND!! nothing closes disneyland!

Edited by Maxim Fastovsky

2 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Off course you dont, and it might be ok, but i doubt it, and you're not talking about 20k people from l.a coming to staples center, you are talking about millions from everywhere in the world coming to one city, this is a monumental contagion risk! 

Again, would you have it behind close doors?

Disneyland was closed , DISNEYLAND!! nothing closes disneyland!

Again, if Covid-19 has been mitigated by late May, there’s nothing to worry about. I still very much plan to travel to Japan. 

The IOC did set a precedent by having the flame ceremony under “closed doors”. While the Flame Ceremony and Olympic Games are two very different things, the IOC did prove they’ll do what it takes to have an event go ahead on schedule. The IOC makes most of it’s money off broadcast rights. Having the games under closed doors would not hurt the IOC. 

While Disneyland closing is shocking, they are only closed for two weeks currently. 

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Again, if Covid-19 has been mitigated by late May, there’s nothing to worry about. I still very much plan to travel to Japan. 

The IOC did set a precedent by having the flame ceremony under “closed doors”. While the Flame Ceremony and Olympic Games are two very different things, the IOC did prove they’ll do what it takes to have an event go ahead on schedule. The IOC makes most of it’s money off broadcast rights. Having the games under closed doors would not hurt the IOC. 

While Disneyland closing is shocking, they are only closed for two weeks currently. 

Currently is the correct word, my kids schools also closed for 2 weeks, but no one promises that it won't be more (hopefully it's just 2 weeks, my son's birthday is in april and he is all set on a disney trip)

I don't mind having the games behind closed doors, but it will definetly be weird, tokyo will probably rather postpone because they will loose so much money on it, and while ioc might not loose, tokyo most definetly will

and yes waiting until may is fine, and hopefully it will be ok, the last thing i want is olympic postponement but if we go by current situation a postponement is the right thing, but waiting for 2 months in hopes of containment is perfectly fine (plus japan really should work on some sort of technology that they will put in all the venues that recognizes if a person have the virus before entering)

44 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

He's just acting as if he is a regular Totallympian though: he can voice his opinion on it, but it just really doesn't matter.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!