website statistics

Badminton at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

Griff88

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's complicated :d

Basically since the players are divided to 13 groups in this edition, the round of 16 will contain 13 players (no best runner-up thingies here). 3 empty position are byes and considered empty groups.

Draw_Singles2-1.jpg

So the first seed will always be in Group A and the second seed in Group P. 3rd and 4th seeds will be drawn into Group E or L. And BWF allocate the bye to position B, F, and O. So no Group B, F, or O in the singles... (More details: http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Olympic-Games/Part III - Section 5B - Olympic Games - Regulations for Badminton Competition - Rio 2016.pdf)

2 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Basically since the players are divided to 13 groups in this edition, the round of 16 will contain 13 players (no best runner-up thingies here). 3 empty position are byes and considered empty groups.

So the first seed will always be in Group A and the second seed in Group P. 3rd and 4th seeds will be drawn into Group E or L. And BWF allocate the bye to position B, F, and O. So no Group B, F, or O in the singles... (More details: http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Olympic-Games/Part III - Section 5B - Olympic Games - Regulations for Badminton Competition - Rio 2016.pdf)

That makes sense :d 

Do you think these draws will have some effect on the chances for certain athletes? I've been looking at the men's singles draw and it doesn't look like there's something that really changes the chances, maybe Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan meeting in the semi's, but I doubt it changes a lot.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, Griff88 said:

In addition, we have to remember that, BWF published this document before we knew exactly how many players will be there in the draw (depending upon redistributed doubles quota). Also, Group P and G are 4 player groups and they have a bye in Round of 16. So, they will be playing same number of matches as other groups (except top seed). 

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Do you think these draws will have some effect on the chances for certain athletes? I've been looking at the men's singles draw and it doesn't look like there's something that really changes the chances, maybe Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan meeting in the semi's, but I doubt it changes a lot.. 

I also don't see any effect in the medal chances in singles... But in Chinese forums they're beginning to suspect that the draw in doubles are designed to prevent them sweeping 5 gold medals again. Ofc they're just venting their frustration haha

Just now, Griff88 said:

I also don't see any effect in the medal chances in singles... But in Chinese forums they're beginning to suspect that the draw in doubles are designed to prevent them sweeping 5 gold medals again. Ofc they're just venting their frustration haha

Maybe if they are truly expecting 5 gold medals, they are a bit delusional :p 

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It does make it damn tough for Jan Ø Jørgensen...

4 minutes ago, Agger said:

It does make it damn tough for Jan Ø Jørgensen...

But for Denmark as a whole I doubt it matters a lot, since it looks like the only road to a medal that would be significantly easier for him would be by being in either Sugiarto's group or Axelsen's group (without Sugiarto/Axelsen being in it of course), though then he'd still face Chen Long in the semi's :p 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But for Denmark as a whole I doubt it matters a lot, since it looks like the only road to a medal that would be significantly easier for him would be by being in either Sugiarto's group or Axelsen's group (without Sugiarto/Axelsen being in it of course), though then he'd still face Chen Long in the semi's :p 

Of course. But I would almost have prefered Denmark in the same half, now that it's Lin Dan in a propable quarter final. 

Meanwhile Axelsen's group is pretty tough.