website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2020

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yesterday Hamilton wasn't penalised (oh yes, what surprise :coffee:) becouse for the FIA he didn't slow down the yellow flag regime BUT the yellow flag wasn't show on the display...

Aaand surprise, the display was yellow

Yeah, the standard theories of FIA always helping Mercedes and Ferrari are happily going round again :d 

At least in the Netherlands it's being compared with Verstappen getting a penalty in Mexico for the same thing, which I don't think is entirely fair of a comparison. For Verstappen there definitely was just yellow in the turn, but for Hamilton they were waving both yellow and green in the same turn yesterday. Much as I really don't like Hamilton, I can accept him not getting a penalty (which would have moved him from 2nd to 2nd?) there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, the standard theories of FIA always helping Mercedes and Ferrari are happily going round again :d 

At least in the Netherlands it's being compared with Verstappen getting a penalty in Mexico for the same thing, which I don't think is entirely fair of a comparison. For Verstappen there definitely was just yellow in the turn, but for Hamilton they were waving both yellow and green in the same turn yesterday. Much as I really don't like Hamilton, I can accept him not getting a penalty (which would have moved him from 2nd to 2nd?) there.

His time was dropped but, reading the rules, he should be penalised by 3 or 13 (it depends) positions. 

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

His time was dropped but, reading the rules, he should be penalised by 3 or 13 (it depends) positions. 

One says "according to the rules he should", another says "according to the rules he shouldn't". No group of experts agrees, and in that case it's just better to not penalise someone. Besides, think of the fun we can have now if the Mercedes guys hit each other in turn one :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I hate Hamilton basically forcing everyone to do what he wants them to do. It is perfectly fine for drivers to say "I am 100% against racism, but in a race weekend I am going to focus on my race and I won't be taking a knee." This does not make them complicit in anything, this makes them people who say they are against racism (which is a good thing, I'm sure we all agree).

The whole thing is that one should have the freedom to choose those things, just like Hamilton should absolutely be free to show a protest or support or whatnot. It's not freedom (and also not a genuine show of support) if people are only doing it because Hamilton yells in their ears that they have to do it 'or else'.

Hamilton doesn't "yell" "or else". He just wants a selfless act of showing unity on an issue. Drivers are obviously free to say no to that, but Hamilton is also free to call them out on it for choosing to not do it. Personally I call bs on the "I want to focus on the race" excuse. There are many formal stuff that takes places before every damn sport event, including races. Would anyone be fine with someone saying before a world cup match "sorry guys, I will skip the anthems because I want to focus on the match"? Or the same for the Indy500:  "sorry guys, I am not an American, I won't stand up for their anthem, I want to focus". 

I have no idea wtf Leclerc is thinking with that statement. It reads like he doesn't want to do it because it would hurt the feelings of some people (aka. racist). The only people who would see that formal gesture as controversial are racists. 

12 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Hamilton doesn't "yell" "or else". 

Not literally those words, but saying you're complicit (and thus basically calling you a racist) if you don't do what he does isn't far off. He is not giving anyone a real choice to show support in the way they want it, he is telling people they have to show support in the way he wants it.

Anyway, we're not going to agree on it and I'm not much looking forward to letting this thing make gaps bigger (even though we're all clearly against racism), so I'm just gonna wait for the start and enjoy the race.

11 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Hamilton doesn't "yell" "or else". He just wants a selfless act of showing unity on an issue. Drivers are obviously free to say no to that, but Hamilton is also free to call them out on it for choosing to not do it. Personally I call bs on the "I want to focus on the race" excuse. There are many formal stuff that takes places before every damn sport event, including races. Would anyone be fine with someone saying before a world cup match "sorry guys, I will skip the anthems because I want to focus on the match"? Or the same for the Indy500:  "sorry guys, I am not an American, I won't stand up for their anthem, I want to focus". 

I have no idea wtf Leclerc is thinking with that statement. It reads like he doesn't want to do it because it would hurt the feelings of some people (aka. racist). The only people who would see that formal gesture as controversial are racists. 

You do realize Leclerc's family owns half of the housing estate in Monaco? Nobody tells the rich what should they do - especially if Hamilton earns 40 million pounds annually himself ;)  F1 is not for philantrophists and never will be, period.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

You do realize Leclerc's family owns half of the housing estate in Monaco? Nobody tells the rich what should they do - especially if Hamilton earns 40 million pounds annually himself ;)  F1 is not for philantrophists and never will be, period.

So? That's doesn't mean people can't criticize him. And while "nobody can tell them what to do", the public image of any professional athlete does matter to their team because a large portion of their income depends on how many merch people buy.