website statistics

Formula 1 FIA World Championship 2020

Totallympics

Maybe we shouldn't tell the one black driver of F1 to "check his privilege" regarding BLM. 

As for taking a knee... unity on this matter would be nice because the Austrian GP is basically the first large international sport even since the protests started. But I guess some F1 drivers are so removed from reality that they can't see the importance of it. 

And I don't see any reason to hate on Hamilton for saying "silence is complicit". Unless you also want to hate on civil rights movements who spread the exact same message. 

23 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Maybe we shouldn't tell the one black driver of F1 to "check his privilege" regarding BLM. 

As for taking a knee... unity on this matter would be nice because the Austrian GP is basically the first large international sport even since the protests started. But I guess some F1 drivers are so removed from reality that they can't see the importance of it. 

And I don't see any reason to hate on Hamilton for saying "silence is complicit". Unless you also want to hate on civil rights movements who spread the exact same message. 

I hate Hamilton basically forcing everyone to do what he wants them to do. It is perfectly fine for drivers to say "I am 100% against racism, but in a race weekend I am going to focus on my race and I won't be taking a knee." This does not make them complicit in anything, this makes them people who say they are against racism (which is a good thing, I'm sure we all agree).

The whole thing is that one should have the freedom to choose those things, just like Hamilton should absolutely be free to show a protest or support or whatnot. It's not freedom (and also not a genuine show of support) if people are only doing it because Hamilton yells in their ears that they have to do it 'or else'.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Most F1 drivers are narcisstic egoists. You're seeking unity in one place where you won't find it :p

Not to mention the Mercedes dominance has worn out a lot of fans on Hamilton ages ago already. He's one of the least sympathetic black athletes in the world for sure.

49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I hate Hamilton basically forcing everyone to do what he wants them to do. It is perfectly fine for drivers to say "I am 100% against racism, but in a race weekend I am going to focus on my race and I won't be taking a knee." This does not make them complicit in anything, this makes them people who say they are against racism (which is a good thing, I'm sure we all agree).

The whole thing is that one should have the freedom to choose those things, just like Hamilton should absolutely be free to show a protest or support or whatnot. It's not freedom (and also not a genuine show of support) if people are only doing it because Hamilton yells in their ears that they have to do it 'or else'.

The progressives don't really understand that. They want to enforce their way of thinking on everyone else and accuse them of hate if they don't. That's weak and I'm never gonna agree to something only because someone else tells me what I should support or not. I'm not surprised F1 has pressed pause on this political statement. There's too much ego in this sport to bother with such a sideshow like BLM tbh.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The progressives don't really understand that. They want to enforce their way of thinking on everyone else and accuse them of hate if they don't. That's weak and I'm never gonna agree to something only because someone else tells me what I should support or not. I'm not surprised F1 has pressed pause on this political statement. There's too much ego in this sport to bother with such a sideshow like BLM tbh.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do agree with the whole anti-racism thing, obviously. It is there, it is a problem and it should be kicked out. I just don't think forcing people to show support in the way you show support ("or else...") is the right way to go.

I won't start being against Hamilton though because of this.

Spoiler

I already was against Hamilton for a long time and it has absolutely nothing to do with the current situation :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I do agree with the whole anti-racism thing, obviously. It is there, it is a problem and it should be kicked out. I just don't think forcing people to show support in the way you show support ("or else...") is the right way to go.

I won't start being against Hamilton though because of this.

Reveal hidden contents

It's cool. I follow F1 since 1991 so I won't lose my sleep over this kneeldown issue whatsoever :p

This is what I mean, and this is perfectly fine to do/say. Especially the second sentence.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's cool. I follow F1 since 1991 so I won't lose my sleep over this kneeldown issue whatsoever :p

Same here - but different year obviously since I'm not ancient and I didn't follow it yet when I was 1 year old :p