website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Championships 2020

Totallympics

one thing is for sure that you never can underestimate lightweight Japanese wrestlers, specially if the guy is a former world champion :d Bajrang looked like the better wrestler for most of the match but the scoreboard shows something totally different. Otoguro had a plan and he executed it very well. one thing I don't understand about India is why they send their best wrestlers to almost all possible tournaments. I understand they have different method of training and preparation but beside exhausting their own wrestlers, this way they will give more chances to the others to analyze them.

to me right now Ravi Kumar is the best 57kg wrestler in the world or at least 2nd behind Uguev. his match vs Uguev was close in Nur-Sultan and I think he can beat Uguev right now if they wrestle again but those Russian coaches are master in analyzing opponents. they always find a way to create a perfect plan for their wrestlers.

btw Iran finished the first day with 1-1-2 medals and 12 pts behind India. the afternoon session wasn't great for India as they lost 4 of 5 finals. looking at the brackets for tomorrow Iran still has a good chance for the team title. I believe Indian 125kg wrestler won't make it to the medal round but then I can say the same about our 61kg guy. but still if Iran wins all other 4 remaining gold medals they can win the team title. as I said I expect 3 at least.

and one last thing, Maghsoudi failed miserably today despite winning the bronze. they have to try someone else for the AQT but the question is do we have anybody else in this weight ? they tried out everybody in past 2 years and all of them failed. this is highly possible for Iran to fail to qualify a full freestyle team for the 2nd time in history. :( (and even in that first time it happened only because one guy didn't make weight, he didn't lost the quota on the mat)

Let's take a look at seeding and favorites for the AQT in 3 weights finished today

57kg:

#1 :JPN Takahashi

#2 :MGL Erdenebat

#3 :TJK Vohidov

it's a sure thing Japan will send Rei Higuchi to the AQT, so I think MGL and TJK will be seeded

:IRI:IND:KAZ are already qualified, I think :MGL:JPN:PRK:KGZ will be huge favorites, all of them capable of winning Olympic medal, next is :KOR:CHN and maybe :UZB . maybe with a super dream draw :TJK stands a chance too

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

65kg:

#1 :BRN Ali

#2 :IRI Maghsoudi

#3 :PRK Son

#4 :UZB Rakhmonov

I'm only sure that Russian-Bahraini guy will participate, Iran and UZB may send different wrestlers, you never know about PRK

:MGL:IND:KAZ:JPN are already qualified, I assume Bekbulatov is not eligible, so I think :BRN:IRI:CHN will be favorites :UZB:KOR:PRK are probably next to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

97kg:

#1 :KGZ Musaev

#2 :IRI Goleij

#3 :UZB Ibragimov

#4 :IRI Mohammadian

#5 :IND Kadian

seeding looks complicated in this weight, if nothing special happens Iran will send Mohammadian and not Goleij, which means Musaev and Ibragimov will be seeded.

:KAZ is already qualified. :IRI will be huge favorite, :UZB is 2nd by a good margin over the rest. I think Iran and Uzbekistan will qualify unless they fall in the same half of the draw. next are :MGL:KGZ:IND and then :KOR:CHN:JPN

Edited by MHSN

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

one thing is for sure that you never can underestimate lightweight Japanese wrestlers, specially if the guy is a former world champion :d Bajrang looked like the better wrestler for most of the match but the scoreboard shows something totally different. Otoguro had a plan and he executed it very well. one thing I don't understand about India is why they send their best wrestlers to almost all possible tournaments. I understand they have different method of training and preparation but beside exhausting their own wrestlers, this way they will give more chances to the others to analyze them.

to me right now Ravi Kumar is the best 57kg wrestler in the world or at least 2nd behind Uguev. his match vs Uguev was close in Nur-Sultan and I think he can beat Uguev right now if they wrestle again but those Russian coaches are master in analyzing opponents. they always find a way to create a perfect plan for their wrestlers.

btw Iran finished the first day with 1-1-2 medals and 12 pts behind India. the afternoon session wasn't great for India as they lost 4 of 5 finals. looking at the brackets for tomorrow Iran still has a good chance for the team title. I believe Indian 125kg wrestler won't make it to the medal round but then I can say the same about our 61kg guy. but still if Iran wins all other 4 remaining gold medals they can win the team title. as I said I expect 3 at least.

and one last thing, Maghsoudi failed miserably today despite winning the bronze. they have to try someone else for the AQT but the question is do we have anybody else in this weight ? they tried out everybody in past 2 years and all of them failed. this is highly possible for Iran to fail to qualify a full freestyle team for the 2nd time in history. :( (and even in that first time it happened only because one guy didn't make weight, he didn't lost the quota on the mat)

I think a good day despite 4 /5 loses in the medal round...... Baliyan in 79 showed why many consider him the person to fill in the 74 slot sooner or later...... Just 18 he almost won the gold he was really close.....  

I think bajrang seems to play to the Japanese play book but otuguro won well...... 

Satyawart I felt did not have a chance and showed it...... 

Tomorrow I feel we can win the team title.... But it would be if deepak can win in 86 I think he can but the main competitor will be Iran and that may be a key fight if we have to win the team title..... Rahul aware has a good chance as well........ A lot will depend on jitender and somveer ...... Unfortunately sumit is injured and do not have much hopes therefore in 125

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

2nd day freestyle finals:

61kg: :TJK Ikromov vs :KGZ Zholdoshbekov

74kg: :IND Jitender vs :KAZ Kaisanov

86kg: :JPN Yamada vs :IRI Bazri

92kg: :JPN Otsu vs :IRI Ebrahimi

125kg: :MGL Dorjkhand vs :KAZ Batirmurzayev

I was very wrong with my predictions, only 4 out of 9 :facepalm:

it was another disastrous morning session :facepalm: still hard to believe how come Hadi lost to this Kazakh giant, Kazakh guy threw and pinned him in 30 seconds, probably just an accident but this is maybe the end of Hadi's career.

at 61kg, Dastan tried hard against the Kyrgyz guy but did just one mistake gave up 4 pts and that was enough for Zholdoshbekov to win the match 4-2. he also beat Aware in SF , advanced to the final and therefore put Dastan back for the bronze medal match. we had another surprise from Tajikistan, who took advantage of easy draw to most probably win a silver medal.

74kg, what I can say about Hosseinkhani, the score was 2-2 with 2 minutes left and he did almost nothing. this is another weight we may not qualify at all :wall: we are running out of options in this weight too. I really don't think Jitender is anything special, Hosseinkhani is a choker, no matter against who he always finds a way to lose matches narrowly

I was expecting an easy final between Bazri and Punia but I was very wrong, I have to say this guy Deepak is still FAR from world level. yes he won silver in Nur-Sultan but that was mostly because of magic Kazakh draw. this Yamada guy from Japan is not even their #1 wrestler ! I also expected much more from Bazri, he  gives up point very easily. he almost lost the first match. with this poor defense he will never win anything special.

and in race for the team title, after this session, India has 154 and Iran has 153 by my count, I already considered 86kg as bronze for India since Kyrgyz won't show up against Deepak. India has 2 more wrestlers to add 10 more points while Iran has 5 and can add 25 more. it was a very poor day for Iran but still India's poor performance (specially at 61 and 86) will most probably give the team title for Iran.but after Hadi's defeat today I has learned to not be sure about anything in wrestling :d even though winning the team title with only 3 gold medals (max possible for Iran) is considered a very bad result. :thumbdown:

Edited by MHSN

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

2nd day freestyle finals:

61kg: :TJK Ikromov vs :KGZ Zholdoshbekov

74kg: :IND Jitender vs :KAZ Kaisanov

86kg: :JPN Yamada vs :IRI Bazri

92kg: :JPN Otsu vs :IRI Ebrahimi

125kg: :MGL Dorjkhand vs :KAZ Batirmurzayev

I was very wrong with my predictions, only 4 out of 9 :facepalm:

it was another disastrous morning session :facepalm: still hard to believe how come Hadi lost to this Kazakh giant, Kazakh guy threw and pinned him in 30 seconds, probably just an accident but this is maybe the end of Hadi's career.

at 61kg, Dastan tried hard against the Kyrgyz guy but did just one mistake gave up 4 pts and that was enough for Zholdoshbekov to win the match 4-2. he also beat Aware in SF , advanced to the final and therefore put Dastan back for the bronze medal match. we had another surprise from Tajikistan, who took advantage of easy draw to most probably win a silver medal.

74kg, what I can say about Hosseinkhani, the score was 2-2 with 2 minutes left and he did almost nothing. this is another weight we may not qualify at all :wall: we are running out of options in this weight too. I really don't think Jitender is anything special, Hosseinkhani is a choker, no matter against who he always finds a way to lose matches narrowly

I was expecting an easy final between Bazri and Punia but I was very wrong, I have to say this guy Deepak is still FAR from world level. yes he won silver in Nur-Sultan but that was mostly because of magic Kazakh draw. this Yamada guy from Japan is not even their #1 wrestler ! I also expected much more from Bazri, he  gives up point very easily. he almost lost the first match. with this poor defense he will never win anything special.

and in race for the team title, after this session, India has 154 and Iran has 153 by my count, I already considered 86kg as bronze for India since Kyrgyz won't show up against Deepak. India has 2 more wrestlers to add 10 more points while Iran has 5 and can add 25 more. it was a very poor day for Iran but still India's poor performance (specially at 61 and 86) will most probably give the team title for Iran.but after Hadi's defeat today I has learned to not be sure about anything in wrestling :d even though winning the team title with only 3 gold medals (max possible for Iran) is considered a very bad result. :thumbdown:

Yes poor session for India...... I think deepak was looking really slow and off color not sure why.... He is a better wrestler than was seen today....  

Somveer I did not except much and withsumit injured I did not expect much from satendra...... So I think at par.... 

Jitender I thought was good..... That is a major plus and with gaurav baliyan almost winning the gold in 79 and amit dhankar on the wings.... We will definitely have a good wrestler for 74 ... 

Aware was struggling a bit and I think a bronze can be done..... 

No team I think...... But still a huge plus for India at these championships...... 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Asian wrestling championship 2020 - End of a really good tournament ...... Indian wrestling has progressed and this tournament is just proof of it.......      

I have been following Indian wrestling for the last 15 years and there is clear trend..... 

2005- 2015 we used average just 5 medals out if 21-24 events....... 

2015 - 2018 - the average went upto 10 medals or so out of 30 events..... 

2019 we got 16 medals

and 2020 ... 

And now 20 medals the most by any country..... We came close to winning the team title in both mens freestyle and women's.... And did well in greco....... So there is huge improvement across the board and we do have a set of world beaters... 

vinesh 53 in women's free 

Ravi -57 , Bajrang -65 in mens free 

And a great set of juniors who can become true world beaters 

Deepak 86 , gaurav in 74 in future, anshu in 57 ,  divya 68 women and sarita or sonam 62 ... 

In GR we have some good wrestlers more at the Asian level Gyanender -60 , Sunil -87 , Gurpreet -77 ,  Ashu -67 ....... 

So great show ..... 

This time there were no Chinese and North Korean teams. Also Iran did nit send their best team. So, India's medal tally was a but inflated due to this.

We seem to have performed at same level as 2019.

I think the only one one who really excelled was Ravi. To an extent Jitender performed above expectations. Bajrag, Deepak Punia, Vinesh lost matches which we were expecting them to fight on even terms.

Others pretty much performed upto expectations. So, i would not call this great success for India.

17 minutes ago, sameerph said:

This time there were no Chinese and North Korean teams. Also Iran did nit send their best team. So, India's medal tally was a but inflated due to this.

We seem to have performed at same level as 2019.

I think the only one one who really excelled was Ravi. To an extent Jitender performed above expectations. Bajrag, Deepak Punia, Vinesh lost matches which we were expecting them to fight on even terms.

Others pretty much performed upto expectations. So, i would not call this great success for India.

I think there were many youngsters who did well......  I personally was excited to see gaurav baliyans .... He is a name for the future.... Also sarita more, pinki , anshu did well in women's... Also Divya kakrans performance was really good.... 4 wins by fall including the Japanese...  I agree that china not being there made a difference in women but did not effect the men as much...... 

49 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I think there were many youngsters who did well......  I personally was excited to see gaurav baliyans .... He is a name for the future.... Also sarita more, pinki , anshu did well in women's... Also Divya kakrans performance was really good.... 4 wins by fall including the Japanese...  I agree that china not being there made a difference in women but did not effect the men as much...... 

Not to forget North Korea who could have cut down at least 4-5 Indian medals. Vinesh could have been medalless if China and North Korea both participated actually. 

it was a disappointing tournament for Iran in freestyle, yes they won the team title after all but at very least I was expecting 4 golds. Hadi lost by a moment of carelessness and Bazri was a total disaster, he did the same mistake 3 times, giving up big throws to someone much weaker than himself, ended up losing 10-10 ! he could tech the guy 10-0 if he was just a bit smarter. guys like Bazri and Goleij will never win anything special. just pushing and pushing is not even nice to watch :thumbdown:

I really can say all 10 wrestlers underperformed , they only guy who did OK was Ebrahimi. and it created more problems for our coaches to pick the right guy for 65kg and 74kg. it will be risky to send "new guys" to the Olympic qualifiers but they tested everybody, maybe it's time to test someone else.

we had better plan in Greco and they won 5 gold medals which is interesting because freestyle is the most popular style here. we always claim we have depth in freestyle (comparing to Greco) but apparently that's not correct anymore. yes we have 2-3 big stars in FS but in general our Greco program is working  better.