website statistics

The impossible World Records

Blue Swede

I´d simply put a time limit on world records.

They stand for say 20 years(or some other remotely reasonable time limit)and then they get erased so the race for setting WRs can start again.

A 20 year time limit would erase most of the dreadful so called world records.As a Swede I am particulary annoyed that the legendary Carolina Kluft never had a chance to set the official world record.

Everyone knows what really went on in the 80´s and 90´s.It has continued into the 2000´s(I wont Farah name names Bolt)..but the most awful one´s is from the 80`s in particular.

A time limit would erase Kratochvilova and Koch and others to the scrapyard of history,where they belong.

42 minutes ago, Blue Swede said:

I´d simply put a time limit on world records.

They stand for say 20 years(or some other remotely reasonable time limit)and then they get erased so the race for setting WRs can start again.

A 20 year time limit would erase most of the dreadful so called world records.As a Swede I am particulary annoyed that the legendary Carolina Kluft never had a chance to set the official world record.

Everyone knows what really went on in the 80´s and 90´s.It has continued into the 2000´s(I wont Farah name names Bolt)..but the most awful one´s is from the 80`s in particular.

A time limit would erase Kratochvilova and Koch and others to the scrapyard of history,where they belong.

Total bullshit idea tbh. If the doping continues then what's the point of a 20 year reset? Quite frankly the modern medicine and TUE system allows the doping to be even more difficult to uncover than in the 80s. Two of the biggest modern scandals - BALCO & Russia were only exposed due to the widespread nature of athletes involved and not due to better lab technology.

Rewriting history serves no purpose, particularly as we honestly can't be 100% certain about any athletes.  The Chinese middle-long distance runners of the mid 1990s will always be the group I'm most annoyed by but it's better to see them listed to show the absurdity than to white-wash it IMO

(if you branch into other sports, the East Germany domination of rowing is the most grotesque of them all)

• 5 months later...

Not exactly impossible but Inessa Kravets' WR turned 25 years old yesterday.

What people don't remember is she had two no jump and this was basically a "safety" effort as she took off very early on the boards. This was a 15,6X effort tbh.

For a while there was a bunch of 15,3X results in women's triple jump but still nobody has broken this one.

Btw, Kravets' 1996 Olympic gold jump (15,33 into a head-wind) is still 6th on the all-time list as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/08/2020 at 00:14, dcro said:

It's utterly bizarre how women's triple jump record hails from basically its first year of serious international competition.

Just look how hammer throw and pole vault progressed...

I think the difference is that there was long jump to "practice" before the triple jump was introduced. On the other hand there wasn't really anything to "practice" for the hammer throw/pole vault.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.