website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2020

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If these guys supposedly aren't good enough, who is good enough then?

This is the nature of baseball these days.. it starts with younger kids who aren't brought up as well as they used to be.  They'll be rewarded for throwing as hard as possible (often until they need Tommy John surgery) because they see that it's possible to make big money in the majors if you're a good middle reliever.  The "relievers are just failed starters" line of thinking isn't as true now as it was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago.

But sure, let's judge the entire system because 1 guy had an off night and a team pulled him after 1/3 of an inning

It's not about one guy, I noticed the bullpens collapse more often but I'm not as qualified to talk about baseball so much. Pitching for speed only will devalue the pitching itself rather fast. And there's no way the league will help the pitchers like they did in the 60s anymore.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It's not about one guy, I noticed the bullpens collapse more often but I'm not as qualified to talk about baseball so much. Pitching for speed only will devalue the pitching itself rather fast. And there's no way the league will help the pitchers like they did in the 60s anymore.

Last season, starting pitchers had a collective ERA of 4.54, while relievers' collective ERA was 4.46.  Different set of circumstances for a starting pitcher since they're pitching multiple innings instead of just 1, but the idea that starters are far better than relievers just isn't true.

If a starting pitcher gives up 3 runs in the first inning, that's not something you're going to "notice" as much as when it happens late in the game.  As if a reliever is automatically supposed to get through an inning unscathed.  It's just more noticeable when it happens later in the game and you rarely hear about or talk about the guy that struck out the side in order in the 7th inning.  But it's a big deal if he gives up a couple of runs

I'd prefer pitchers playing few innings over many games, than many innings over few games.

Last year, the  Verlander pitched 223 innings over just 34 games. That's an average 6.5 innings per game.

I'd prefer starting pitchers like him to play 223 innings over 55 games, averaging 4 innings per game.

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

I’m guessing there’s no active minor leagues going on, are there?  

No, the minor league players are not actively playing/practicing with their teams. I have a feeling that they would rather suspend the season than have Marlins minor league players play.

Minor League's season has already been cancelled a few months ago...

and now, the problem it's not only the Marlins, but also the Phillies, who played the Marlins last weekend...it's highly unlikely that they don't have any positive test now (and in fact tonight's game between Yankees and Phillies has also been cancelled, waiting for Phila's test results)...

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

Minor League's season has already been cancelled a few months ago...

and now, the problem it's not only the Marlins, but also the Phillies, who played the Marlins last weekend...it's highly unlikely that they don't have any positive test now (and in fact tonight's game between Yankees and Phillies has also been cancelled, waiting for Phila's test results)...

And if anyone on the Phillies test positive, any of the teams they played will have to be benched as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela