website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2020

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I know some of you don’t like TV directors who dwell on injuries, but this clip has an important lesson for all those who go to ball parks.  :evil:

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/news/foul-ball-hits-teddy-bear-in-a-s-stands

The commentary on this is a gem.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

MLB teams are boycotting their games tonight.

I’m so proud of all these athletes. They will face major push back for all of these boycotts, but they are doing the right thing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

MLB teams are boycotting their games tonight.

I’m so proud of all these athletes. They will face major push back for all of these boycotts, but they are doing the right thing.

I am fine with players standing up to social injustice, but I think playing the game would mean more. Maybe have a cool ceremony/moment of silence before the game. I don’t think boycotting is the right way to go here.

27 minutes ago, bmo said:

I am fine with players standing up to social injustice, but I think playing the game would mean more. Maybe have a cool ceremony/moment of silence before the game. I don’t think boycotting is the right way to go here.

Literally every league tried “have a cool ceremony/moment of silence before the game,” since they started playing again. Some put on practice clothing with slogans like “Black Lives Matter”, “Say Their Names”, “End Racism,” etc. 

That clearly did nothing, and while I doubt boycotting games will do much either, it’s a hell of a statement. It says “this system is broken, and we no longer endorse it.”

It’s strange how some people talk about athlete empowerment, and then get upset when athletes get empowered about political and social issues. To quote many of the players who chose to boycott today, “Some things are bigger than sports.”

Also, I find it sadly hilarious that the same people who argue “we’d respect the issue more if they protested peacefully,” or “they should protest peacefully if they want to be heard;” throw an absolute tantrum when players come together to protest peacefully.

This reminds me of a statement “This Is America” tried to make. The child dancers are distracted by pop culture, so they can’t see all the chaos happening in the background. I feel like this is players realizing that many Americans see them as an escape from reality, and they are saying “No, this is reality...look at it.”

I respect your opinion about them playing. I get it. A lot of people don’t like when sports and politics mix. A lot of people use sports as an escape from darker things in their life, and some of us live and breathe sports because that’s our love in life. However, I think it’s important to respect the player’s decision. Many of these players haven’t seen their families in a month our more. Many of the players have had to remain silent on issues in their communities for years, so as not to jeopardize their chance at playing professional sports. Some of these players have even been victims of the very violence we see in America right now. It seems wrong, to me, to ignore the needs of these players. It seems wrong, to me, to not give these players a voice. It seems wrong, to me, to ask these players to act as a distraction from social unrest in this country. It seems wrong, to me, to ask these players to play, when so many of their brothers and sisters no longer can.

That’s just my take on this. I don’t mean anything as a personal attack on any users. I think it’s important to have this conversation. To be honest, I don’t know how to feel right now, so voicing this helps in a way.

There's no need for any conversation. People will get killed by police over and over again all over thw world. Boycotting a baseball season won't change anything :dunno:

PS. I wonder if Bryce Harper or Mike Trout forfeit even an ounce of their 200 millon contracts because they're not playing games? :lol:

35 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There's no need for any conversation. People will get killed by police over and over again all over thw world. Boycotting a baseball season won't change anything :dunno:

PS. I wonder if Bryce Harper or Mike Trout forfeit even an ounce of their 200 millon contracts because they're not playing games? :lol:

maybe it's true...and also calling a strike in a factory doesn't change anything...:evil:

but a ballgame boycotted after another, a strike called every single day in every factory maybe could have an impact sooner or later...

it's always a little ball of snow rolling down the mountain that starts an avalanche...:whistle:

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

maybe it's true...and also calling a strike in a factory doesn't change anything...:evil:

but a ballgame boycotted after another, a strike called every single day in every factory maybe could have an impact sooner or later...

Indeed it will. Soon the factory goes out if business & all grievances are automatically resolved.