website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2020

Totallympics

This just might be the stupidest unwritten rule I've ever seen. To add on to what @bmo was saying, a 7 run lead in baseball isn't necessarily a guaranteed win because this is a game where there is no clock. You should always try to help your team get runs when you can; not have sympathy for the other team and allowing them a chance to get back in the game.

I'll keep it short - the unwritten rules of baseball are pure trash.

Imagine a similar outrage if Bayern Munchen scored three goals in the last ten minutes while 5-2 up on Barcelona... oh wait, they did... and there was no outrage.

Baseball's unwritten rules are the most archaic and unneccessary thing in pro sports. No wonder the sport can't compete with gridiron football and basketball anymore.

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I'll keep it short - the unwritten rules of baseball are pure trash.

Imagine a similar outrage if Bayern Munchen scored three goals in the last ten minutes while 5-2 up on Barcelona... oh wait, they did... and there was no outrage.

Baseball's unwritten rules are the most archaic and unneccessary thing in pro sports. No wonder the sport can't compete with gridiron football and basketball anymore.

not that Football, Basketball and Hockey don't have stupid unwritten rules, too...

try to score a TD on the last snap of a game when you're ahead in the score in Football...those Baseball brawls would easily disappear in front of what would happen in such case...:whistle:

Just now, NaBUru38 said:

How about this: if a team gets an out having scored multiple runs an inning, the team can choose to save the remaning outs for later innings.

That would change one of the most basic rules of the game. I don’t think anyone would like that. 

I’m not a huge fan of baseball, but I think a rule like that would have a negative impact on the game. We’d get super-short innings followed by marathon innings. Players rhythm would be destroyed, and spectators would lose interest. 

It’s fun reading everyone’s ideas on this though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'm a professional videogame programmer and an amateur videogame designer. Likewise, I love to invent game rules.

My other crazy proposal to increase scoring in baseball is that players on base after 3 outs in odd innings keep their place for the next (even) inning.

1 hour ago, bmo said:

Tigers RHP Casey Mize is making his MLB debut in a matter of moments :bounce:

Excellent performance by our #1 draft pick from 2018. He goes out in the 5th inning (about 70 pitches). He gave up 3 runs including 1 solo HR. He started to come unraveled in the 5th, but was in command for the first 4 innings. He also recorded 7 strikeouts. Good stuff from Mize :yes

16 hours ago, phelps said:

not that Football, Basketball and Hockey don't have stupid unwritten rules, too...

try to score a TD on the last snap of a game when you're ahead in the score in Football...those Baseball brawls would easily disappear in front of what would happen in such case...:whistle:

Football has some of the most crazy goal celebrations... compare this to not staring down a home run in baseball - especially when baseball basically heads down the home run derby script these days :lol:

Basketball has gone so ultra soft it's laughable. James Harden would have his ribs broken by Bill Laimbeer if he tried his flopping shtick 30 years ago.