website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2020

Totallympics

On 26/07/2020 at 23:15, NaBUru38 said:

I'd prefer pitchers playing few innings over many games, than many innings over few games.

Last year, the  Verlander pitched 223 innings over just 34 games. That's an average 6.5 innings per game.

I'd prefer starting pitchers like him to play 223 innings over 55 games, averaging 4 innings per game.

They have to play 5 innings to get a decision though? Baseball isn't ready to abandon the W-L history like that ;)

There was so much talk of

"4 months without any sport in America is heartbreaking. Americans love their sport, we need to have it back ASAP, they can't live without it. The TV ratings are going to be huge when they return!" 

Well, baseball is back and i saw the TV ratings for the first games and they were God awful. Maybe even lower than last season. And there is no attendance at games. Where are all those nationwide sporting fans and how are they watching their sports???

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

"4 months without any sport in America is heartbreaking. Americans love their sport, we need to have it back ASAP, they can't live without it. The TV ratings are going to be huge when they return!" 

Well, baseball is back and i saw the TV ratings for the first games and they were God awful. Maybe even lower than last season. And there is no attendance at games. Where are all those nationwide sporting fans and how are they watching their sports???

Hmm.. I read other stuff.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/major-league-baseball-opener-sets-ratings-record-espn-1304386

You have to remember if the big markets do well it's good for the league. Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs or Red Sox are all that matters. Nobody really cares about viewing numbers for Rays or Rockies :dunno:

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Hmm.. I read other stuff.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/major-league-baseball-opener-sets-ratings-record-espn-1304386

You have to remember if the big markets do well it's good for the league. Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs or Red Sox are all that matters. Nobody really cares about viewing numbers for Rays or Rockies :dunno:

Only the opening game had somewhat good numbers (A rerun of NCIS does 4 million viewers usually). After that it was back to under 2 million, which for a population of 330 million is awful however you look at it. I know American TV watching is dying hard, but with all the sports talk the previous months, you would expect a few million bump.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-7-20-7-26-2020.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 19:26, Federer91 said:

Don’t want to get into a political argument, but there are lots of people saying that the incessant politics is a huge turn-off for many traditional fans.  

Anyway, noticed today that as well as the cardboard fans everyone else has  they now have computer-generated fans in the stands celebrating home runs etc.  

Hoping they’ll have virtual fans throwing imaginary beer mugs on the field when the away pitcher head-hunts the home slugger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hottest debate in American sports today: the unwritten rules of baseball.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

59 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Hottest debate in American sports today: the unwritten rules of baseball.

I have no problem with what Tatis did. You don’t want him to hit a grand slam on a 3-0 count? Throw a better pitch or don’t throw 3 straight balls. You might only get one good pitch per at bat and you have to make the most of it. That is what Tatis did. 

24 minutes ago, bmo said:

I have no problem with what Tatis did. You don’t want him to hit a grand slam on a 3-0 count? Throw a better pitch or don’t throw 3 straight balls. You might only get one good pitch per at bat and you have to make the most of it. That is what Tatis did. 

well said...

in a sport and in an era where the individual stats are basically the main point the teams build the players' contracts on, how can you still ask people to give up such kind of chances?

tbh, I'm really tired of these "unwritten rules" of the US pro sports...they're just pure hypocracy...they might have been good 100 years ago, but c'mon, man! we're in 2020 and everything is different from the age when they were established...

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Baseball can either implement a mercy rule or they can stop complaining about people running up the score for ever, please.

I agree...way better to implement the mercy rule...if you're 10 or 12 runs down after 7 or 8 innings, there's no chance to get back...why put players' health at risk playing senseless stints? just stop and call it a day...normally, the season is 162 games long, it's not that you don't have many chances to make up for a bad loss or the fans don't have many other chances to watch some baseball...

if I were the commissioner, my first actions would be:

- get rid of DH also in the AL (not having him in the NL)...:whistle:

- mercy rule (12 point difference after 7 or 10 after 8 and the game is over)

- cancel the pure sh*t of the 3-batter rule and the "international-alike" extra innings with runners on base at the start

- allow games to end with a tie after 12 innings, at least in RS (frankly, I just can't find anything interesting in watching position players pitching in the 16th or 18th or having the bullpen completely burnt for a week because one of the 162 games of the season went too long)

- allow a 28 (maybe even 30)-man roster from the beginning of the RS (without the super extended rosters in September)