website statistics
Jump to content
  • Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

    Register now to gain access to all of our features and follow all sports events with us here on Totallympics!

     

Badminton BA Team Asian Championships 2020



Recommended Posts

I greatly support the idea of organising BAC (Badminton Asia Championship) in Philippines. BATC will be held in Philippines in the month of February. It is certainly a good idea for Philippines to host the BAC as well. Every part of China is now infected with Coronavirus. So any city in China is deemed as not safe to organize any sports events anymore. We do not want any athletes to be infected with Coronavirus before Tokyo 2020 Olympics. So moving is to Philippines is a good idea. Thumbs up from me. :thumbup::yes:clap::cheer:

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be a redraw for BATC tomorrow. This is due to China and Hong Kong team who have been barred from playing in BATC and also the India women team who pulled out at the very last minute. A fresh new draw will be conducted on Monday and by Monday there will surely be a new grouping for all the different countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites


https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/3049135/coronavirus-hong-kong-badminton-stars-face-being-barred-next-weeks

 

Coronavirus: Hong Kong badminton stars face being barred from next week’s Asia Team Championships in Manila

 

Twenty-strong Hong Kong men’s and women’s squads, headed by Angus Ng and Cheung Ngan-yi, are chasing precious ranking points for Olympics

 

Philippines has banned all travellers from China, including Hong Kong, because of the spreading coronavirus


Hong Kong badminton authorities are seeking support from regional governing bodies as the city’s players face being barred by the Philippines from next week’s Asia

 

Team Championships in Manila because of the deadly coronavirus.

 

The team, comprising 10 men and 10 women and headed by newly crowned Thailand Masters champion Angus Ng Ka-long and Cheung Ngan-yi, are due to leave on Friday as they seek to secure Olympic qualification points.

 

“We hope this can be resolved swiftly,” said head coach Tim He Yiming. “As far as we understand, all relevant bodies are working hard on the issue, including the Asian Badminton Federation and the Hong Kong Badminton Association.

 

“Every tournament is important at this stage as the Olympic qualification is due to finish in two months and if we can’t take part in the event, it will cost some of the players dearly.”

 

The Philippines this week introduced travel bans covering all persons coming directly from China and its two special administrative regions, Hong Kong and Macau.

 

Hong Kong men’s number two Lee Cheuk-yiu is 15th on the qualification list and must hold his position in the top 16 position until qualification ends in April to be eligible as the second player from Hong Kong behind Ng for the 2020 Tokyo Games.

 

Ng and Cheung, who are almost certain to qualify, also want to strengthen their positions for a better draw in the Olympics, as does the mixed doubles pair of Tang Chun-man and Tse Ying-suet, the world number nine.
 

 

 

 

 


Hong Kong is left fuming with anger as they might miss out from getting a chance to feature and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Badminton Asia Team Championship isvery important as those countries who reached the minimum quarter finals wqill be the 8 countries to represent Asia continent to play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Countries such as China and Hong Kong have been barred from playing in this team tournament which will be held in Philippines next week. As for China team they have no problem as they have virtually qualified to play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020 on merit based on their high team ranking. However the same cannot be said for Hong Kong team who have a low team ranking and they need to reach the quarter finals in BATC to enable them to qualify and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Not being able to play in BATC has jeopardised their hopes to qualify and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. This has left the whole Hong Kong team fuming in anger over such unfair treatment.

 

The reason here is simple a lot of countries have started to bar China and Hong Kong citizens from coming to their country. Hence athletes for all the different sports in China and Hong Kong are at the receiving end as more countries have barred China citizens from entering their countries. China athletes will also have to skip all the tournaments held in European, American and Australia as these 3 continents have started to bar China citizens from entering their countries due to coronavirus that is spreading rapidly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, up and down said:


https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/3049135/coronavirus-hong-kong-badminton-stars-face-being-barred-next-weeks

 

Coronavirus: Hong Kong badminton stars face being barred from next week’s Asia Team Championships in Manila

 

Twenty-strong Hong Kong men’s and women’s squads, headed by Angus Ng and Cheung Ngan-yi, are chasing precious ranking points for Olympics

 

Philippines has banned all travellers from China, including Hong Kong, because of the spreading coronavirus


Hong Kong badminton authorities are seeking support from regional governing bodies as the city’s players face being barred by the Philippines from next week’s Asia

 

Team Championships in Manila because of the deadly coronavirus.

 

The team, comprising 10 men and 10 women and headed by newly crowned Thailand Masters champion Angus Ng Ka-long and Cheung Ngan-yi, are due to leave on Friday as they seek to secure Olympic qualification points.

 

“We hope this can be resolved swiftly,” said head coach Tim He Yiming. “As far as we understand, all relevant bodies are working hard on the issue, including the Asian Badminton Federation and the Hong Kong Badminton Association.

 

“Every tournament is important at this stage as the Olympic qualification is due to finish in two months and if we can’t take part in the event, it will cost some of the players dearly.”

 

The Philippines this week introduced travel bans covering all persons coming directly from China and its two special administrative regions, Hong Kong and Macau.

 

Hong Kong men’s number two Lee Cheuk-yiu is 15th on the qualification list and must hold his position in the top 16 position until qualification ends in April to be eligible as the second player from Hong Kong behind Ng for the 2020 Tokyo Games.

 

Ng and Cheung, who are almost certain to qualify, also want to strengthen their positions for a better draw in the Olympics, as does the mixed doubles pair of Tang Chun-man and Tse Ying-suet, the world number nine.
 

 

 

 

 


Hong Kong is left fuming with anger as they might miss out from getting a chance to feature and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Badminton Asia Team Championship isvery important as those countries who reached the minimum quarter finals wqill be the 8 countries to represent Asia continent to play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Countries such as China and Hong Kong have been barred from playing in this team tournament which will be held in Philippines next week. As for China team they have no problem as they have virtually qualified to play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020 on merit based on their high team ranking. However the same cannot be said for Hong Kong team who have a low team ranking and they need to reach the quarter finals in BATC to enable them to qualify and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. Not being able to play in BATC has jeopardised their hopes to qualify and play in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020. This has left the whole Hong Kong team fuming in anger over such unfair treatment.

 

The reason here is simple a lot of countries have started to bar China and Hong Kong citizens from coming to their country. Hence athletes for all the different sports in China and Hong Kong are at the receiving end as more countries have barred China citizens from entering their countries. China athletes will also have to skip all the tournaments held in European, American and Australia as these 3 continents have started to bar China citizens from entering their countries due to coronavirus that is spreading rapidly.

 

Very sad news for Hong Kong, hope China and Hong Kong officials would make things work out, there still a lot of tournaments in south east asia in coming two months, very crucial timing to earn points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vic Liu said:

 

Very sad news for Hong Kong, hope China and Hong Kong officials would make things work out, there still a lot of tournaments in south east asia in coming two months, very crucial timing to earn points.

 

Yes it is a very sad news for the whole of the Hong Kong team. The Hong Kong team have by now become disqualified from playing in Thomas and Uber Cup 2020 and this has left them fuming in anger. Nothing can be done when the Phillipines side said they will not allow any China or Hong Kong citizens to enter their country and shut the door on them. So pitiful for the whole Hong Kong team. The whole Hong Kong team protested in anger but to no avail. To the Phillipines health comes first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

 

Very sad news for Hong Kong, hope China and Hong Kong officials would make things work out, there still a lot of tournaments in south east asia in coming two months, very crucial timing to earn points.

 

Basically China athletes by now have been barred from playing in any tournaments held in European, American, Australia and also Asian continent. A big blow to China athletes as all the countries have choosen health as their main priorities. Reason given is China athletes will spread Coronavirus so there is nothing to be done here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

 

Very sad news for Hong Kong, hope China and Hong Kong officials would make things work out, there still a lot of tournaments in south east asia in coming two months, very crucial timing to earn points.

 

By looking at the latest data statistics below, I can roughly understand why such action is taken.

 

Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country and Territory as of 9th February, 2020.

 
 
Country,
Territory

Total Cases
Feb 9
Cases
Total
Deaths
Feb 9
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Total
Severe
Region
China 37,226 +28 812 +1 2,856 6,188 Asia
Japan 96 +7     4   Asia
Singapore 40       2 4 Asia
Thailand 32       10 1 Asia
S. Korea 27 +3     3   Asia
Hong Kong 26   1       Asia
Taiwan 18 +1     1   Asia
Malaysia 17 +1     1   Asia
Australia 15       5   Oceania
Vietnam 14 +1     3   Asia
Germany 14           Europe
USA 12       3   N.America
France 11         1 Europe
Macao 10       1   Asia
U.A.E. 7           Asia
Canada 7           N.America
Philippines 3   1       Asia
India 3           Asia
U.K. 3           Europe
Italy 3         2 Europe
Russia 2           Europe
Spain 2 +1         Europe
Finland 1       1   Europe
Sweden 1           Europe
Nepal 1           Asia
Sri Lanka 1       1   Asia
Cambodia 1       1   Asia
Belgium 1           Europe
Edited by up and down
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, up and down said:

 

Basically China athletes by now have been barred from playing in any tournaments held in European, American, Australia and also Asian continent. A big blow to China athletes as all the countries have choosen health as their main priorities. Reason given is China athletes will spread Coronavirus so there is nothing to be done here.

 

As far as I know, China has been barred from USA, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the Philippines officially, and maybe also some other small countries without official notification, but I don't think Europe was included. Currently many Chinese athletes playing tournaments and practicing as main field there. Do you have any source to confirm? If so, it would be a nightmare.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...