website statistics

Which Sports Events are you Currently Watching?

dcro

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Commonwealth Games start on Friday! 

As I said before, I have never watched the Commonwealth Games much. But I have a Commonwealth Games story in my family history...

My sister was a good 800m runner at junior level here in Poland. She was 6th at Junior Nationals one year.

And her favourite 800m runner was an English athlete - Joanne Fenn. A really good runner, a very nice person, she took part in Athens 2004 olympics, performed well but didn't make it to a final and then was a bit overshadowed by Kelly Holmes magnicifient triumph.

Back in 2006 my sis had a difficult year, serious exams at the end of the highschool etc. She was quite stressed about it and to cheer her up I wrote an e-mail to an English athletics club, Joanne Fenn trained there, and I said sth like: my sis liked her so much, she's a kind of role model for her, so if she could send a photo with a few words of sympathy that would be awesome... and I asked her: make it a surprise for her.

And few days later a surprise package came from UK, and inside there was not only a photo with greetings, but a full running outfit prepared for Fenn as a member of 2006 England Team for Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne that year. We were just stunned.

And then... it turned out that Fenn made it to a team and then - at the very last moment - she had to withdraw because she had really serious health issues, she had even got a major operation on a grapefruit-sized cyst...

So I guess it was a win-win situation. My sister was sooo happy about it and I think Jo Fenn smiled a bit when at her awfullest times she got news that she means so much for young runners somwehere abroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Fenn

There is not so much news on the internet about what's Joanne Fenn is doing these days but I hope she's healthy and she's having a good life.

I think we still have these clothes somewhere...

5 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Swimming WCH has ended.

Wimbledon has ended.

Athletics WCH has ended.

Tour de France has ended.

What to watch now? Any recommendations?

I can see only F1 race in Hungaroring this week.

a couple of days almost fully dedicated to MLB Baseball (mlb.tv) and NRL Rugby (youtube), maybe with a look at the Soccer European Cups and at the Waterpolo World League finals...

then, it's time for the Slalom Canoeing World Championships (from Thursday), the Commonwealth Games (especially swimming, but not only) and who knows?

37 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

As I said before, I have never watched the Commonwealth Games much. But I have a Commonwealth Games story in my family history...

My sister was a good 800m runner at junior level here in Poland. She was 6th at Junior Nationals one year.

And her favourite 800m runner was an English athlete - Joanne Fenn. A really good runner, a very nice person, she took part in Athens 2004 olympics, performed well but didn't make it to a final and then was a bit overshadowed by Kelly Holmes magnicifient triumph.

Back in 2006 my sis had a difficult year, serious exams at the end of the highschool etc. She was quite stressed about it and to cheer her up I wrote an e-mail to an English athletics club, Joanne Fenn trained there, and I said sth like: my sis liked her so much, she's a kind of role model for her, so if she could send a photo with a few words of sympathy that would be awesome... and I asked her: make it a surprise for her.

And few days later a surprise package came from UK, and inside there was not only a photo with greetings, but a full running outfit prepared for Fenn as a member of 2006 England Team for Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne that year. We were just stunned.

And then... it turned out that Fenn made it to a team and then - at the very last moment - she had to withdraw because she had really serious health issues, she had even got a major operation on a grapefruit-sized cyst...

So I guess it was a win-win situation. My sister was sooo happy about it and I think Jo Fenn smiled a bit when at her awfullest times she got news that she means so much for young runners somwehere abroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Fenn

There is not so much news on the internet about what's Joanne Fenn is doing these days but I hope she's healthy and she's having a good life.

I think we still have these clothes somewhere...

I do remember she was a musician as well as an athlete.

HA! I found an old photo of this Jo Fenn stuff :thumbup:

Yes, she was a musician as well, she has even sent a CD with her songs then!

And she was a fashion model also, had a nice MySpace webpage (remember MySpace, anyone? :-)))

Not only a runner, she was involved in many different activities, her interviews were interesting. All of this together might have been a reason why my sister liked her the most, although there were certainly a few faster runners those days.

• 2 weeks later...

all week long, Commonwealth Games (thanks, BBC) and Athletics, Junior Worlds (youtube)...

in the weekend, adding the Canoeing World Champs (youtube and Slovakian public TV, RTVS :Sport)...

earlier Today, some Cricket (The Hundred 2022...once again, thanks BBC)...

right now and at Midnight, early season Hockey, Hlinka-Gretzky Cup (Bronze and Gold medal matches) on the Slovakian TV channel JOJ Sport...

• 1 month later...

this week is mainly dedicated to the Wrestling World Championships (I'm following basically only the Turkish public TV TRT Spor Yildiz for the semi/finals and the UWW website for the preliminary rounds).

Then, Eurobasket 2022 (skysport Italy) and MLB & NFL here and there (my main sources are MLB.tv and NFL Gamepass respectively).

Tonight it's Wrestling and Basketball :cheer:

End of the Rugby League season North & South

Don't think I'll see much of the Cycling World Champs, but most of the last batch of one-dayers.

End of the Triathlon & Speedway seasons.

After that, we are in a traditional slump period waiting for the RL World Cup and the Winter Sports season to start. 

Edited by Grassmarket

• 2 weeks later...