website statistics

Which Sports Events are you Currently Watching?

dcro

Decided on the 2015 African Games. Not a disappointing choice at all. The small amount of coverage that was available internationally was very good, and honestly at the quality you would expect from a continental games. I noticed that the commentary was done by one of the Olympic Channel commentators. 

Sometimes I forget how communist the Republic of Congo is, and then they put 15 minutes of Chinese martial arts into their opening ceremony, and applaud their “President” every 15 minutes (who of course speaks for all the citizens of the Republic of Congo ?).

The stadium in Kintélé is a beautiful state-of-the-art facility. It’s a bit of a shame that Congo has never pursued hosting other events (or has never been allowed too by international organizations). Of course, I wish the money invested in it had actually gone towards helping the people who live in the Republic of Congo, but if you’re going to build a facility like that; you should use it for major events.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The stadium in Kintélé is a beautiful state-of-the-art facility. It’s a bit of a shame that Congo has never pursued hosting other events (or has never been allowed too by international organizations). Of course, I wish the money invested in it had actually gone towards helping the people who live in the Republic of Congo, but if you’re going to build a facility like that; you should use it for major events.

A bit of prejudice, isn't it? There are only 5 million people in Rep Congo so I don't believe they have a large problem with standard of living.

Some of the most developed African states have low population (Botswana, Gabon, Namibia, Cape Verde).

#banbestmen

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

A bit of prejudice, isn't it? There are only 5 million people in Rep Congo so I don't believe they have a large problem with standard of living.

Some of the most developed African states have low population (Botswana, Gabon, Namibia, Cape Verde).

From the small amount of research I just did, I can tell you that the country faces serious public health and economic issues. The economy took a nosedive when oil prices fell, right around when the Games were held. It hasn’t really recovered, which would explain why we haven’t seen the Kintélé Sports Complex used for more events. The government spending deficit is so bad that they’ve struggled to pay government workers the last few years (which has led to multiple strikes/protests). Plus, there’s a physician storage and low public health standard. Public health only accounts for line 3% of their GDP. That is quite low for a country with a physician storage, high malnutrition rate, high infant mortality rate, and poor sanitation. 

I would place Botswana, Namibia, and Cabo Verde miles ahead of Congo. 

Really, all I’m saying is that maybe the Republic of Congo shouldn’t have built a 60,000 seat state-of-the-art stadium and a small “Olympic Park” type area, when there was more pressing public issues that needed attention. Also, if you build a complex like that, you might as well use it as often as you can. 

6063ACAA-45C1-4924-8FF7-1BA1485CF7B9.jpeg

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, we got almost a respectable weekend’s sport here.

Rugby League - NRL continues & Super League restarts on Sunday.  Sadly Toronto have had to withdraw for the year owing to the impossibility of the whole thing under CV

MLB - Yankees v Red Sox series!

Cycling - 2 Strade Bianchis tomorrow, Tour de l’Ain starts.

Athletics - Quality meet from Trieste.

Plus Football including English & Portuguese Cup Finals, snooker, cricket, marbles....

This weekend I will be watching the PGA tour & LPGA tour. Also, Marble league & replays of gymnastics & diving from previous olympics. MLB & NHL action will be on my tv as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2020 at 11:40, phelps said:

it's quite funny...outside we have 35+ degrees...and I just want to watch a lot of Ice Hockey, typical (hot) Summer sport...:lol: :rofl:

Just like the IOC and local organizing committee in 1920 :p