website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

Just now, dcro said:

Apparently Nicaragua and Burundi are going on as well, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for streaming. :p

Yeah especially not about Burundi :lol: 

Nicaragua at least makes for a fun headline if Real Madriz and Juventus play each other :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Tajikistan really has some obsession with Spain in this whole crisis thing. 

"Your football is our inspiration, stay strong Spain." on billboards in Dushanbe's stadium now, a while ago those billboards were saying "Stay strong Spain, we are praying for you." :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 11/04/2020 at 09:32, heywoodu said:

And Morocco, although it's good a criminal like Badr Hari represents Morocco and not the Netherlands (where he's born and raised like most Moroccan kickboxers) :p 

I know nothing about him except that, at some point, rumors said he was Cristiano Ronaldo's boyfriend.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I know nothing about him except that, at some point, rumors said he was Cristiano Ronaldo's boyfriend.

Those rumors were mostly spread to anger him I think, since most people expect him to be...let's say, not exactly positive towards homosexuality (I don't think he ever made any comments on that subject, but it's more or less what's expected).

Apart from that, he's mostly known as a violent person, someone who'll almost literally punch you to death for giving him a wrong look or something. For all intents and purposes, he seems to be the kind of person the world is better without.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Apart from that, he's mostly known as a violent person, someone who'll almost literally punch you to death for giving him a wrong look or something. For all intents and purposes, he seems to be the kind of person the world is better without.

Like most MMA fighters and a couple of Portuguese-speaking FIFA golden ball winners.

21 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Like most MMA fighters and a couple of Portuguese-speaking FIFA golden ball winners.

I don't really know much about MMA fighters other than what some do inside the cage, and since I'm still two years behind in watching those events, I stay far away from news about them (spoilers) :p The only ones I hear talk outside the cage are the few that are co-commentating in events where they're not fighting and those that do so generally seem perfectly fine.

At least with kickboxing I'm not behind and especially someone like Hari gets plenty of attention here, so it's not too hard to follow. Same here with co-commentating: Remy Bonjasky (pre and post fights) and Yousri Belgaroui (during fights) often do that and they seem to be two excellent, friendly human beings. So, that's good.

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't really know much about MMA fighters other than what some do inside the cage, and since I'm still two years behind in watching those events, I stay far away from news about them (spoilers) :p The only ones I hear talk outside the cage are the few that are co-commentating in events where they're not fighting and those that do so generally seem perfectly fine.

At least with kickboxing I'm not behind and especially someone like Hari gets plenty of attention here, so it's not too hard to follow. Same here with co-commentating: Remy Bonjasky (pre and post fights) and Yousri Belgaroui (during fights) often do that and they seem to be two excellent, friendly human beings. So, that's good.

I can't stand combat sports, except for Judo, and my knowledge about MMA (or UFC, they're pretty much the same thing to me) is restricted to McGregor, Silva and Sonnen. I can live in a world without them, yeah.

11 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I can't stand combat sports, except for Judo, and my knowledge about MMA (or UFC, they're pretty much the same thing to me) is restricted to McGregor, Silva and Sonnen. I can live in a world without them, yeah.

I do like the times when for example some thief or street thug attacks someone who turns out to be an MMA fighter...wrong choices man :p (mostly the cases in which said MMA fighter doesn't go all-out of course, but just grabs the thug and waits for police to arrive)

Everyone has their own things they like though, one of the positive things for me about combat sports is that it does take a lot of kids off the streets (especially kids from poorer upbringings) and teaches them discipline. Doesn't work for all of course, but for a good number it does. Much more so than for example football, as one can see on the field with all those crybabies.

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Everyone has their own things they like though, one of the positive things for me about combat sports is that it does take a lot of kids off the streets (especially kids from poorer upbringings) and teaches them discipline. Doesn't work for all of course, but for a good number it does. Much more so than for example football, as one can see on the field with all those crybabies.

I think you're too optimistic when it comes to the effects of combat sports. Jiu-jitsu is very popular in Brazil, and most men who practice it are complete jerks. Also, there are famous cases of boxers being too "hot-blooded" outside of the ring, too. Football takes lots of poor kids out of the streets and make them worry about being clean and healthy. I get it that Neymar and some other footballers act like crybabies, but I believe that most footballers learn about discipline the hard way while they are trying hard to become famous. Of couse some of them are just unbearable after they actually become famous, but at least I don't listen to stories of them attacking people or hitting women or the like.