website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

35 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Yes for the core sports like football, badminton, and volleyball. Opening ceremony also attracts a big crowd. Other events you are most likely to see students brought out from their schools to fill the seats.

It's more a political achievements for governors rather than an athlete development event nowadays. A vicious cycle: Win a bid > Build a sport complex far from the actual city > Hold the Games > Venues abandoned > Governor or his staff arrested for bidding bribe/corruption on venues :wacko:

I follow enough multi-sports games to see this as a normality :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

It's more a political achievements for governors rather than an athlete development event nowadays. A vicious cycle: Win a bid > Build a sport complex far from the actual city > Hold the Games > Venues abandoned > Governor or his staff arrested for bidding bribe/corruption on venues :wacko:

Even a national games have so many dramas? It sounds like Olympics or FIFA World Cup process.

29 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I follow enough multi-sports games to see this as a normality :p

But I think not that many games build venues in the middle of forest :lol: The 2008 edition is the "best"

IMG_20170306_231931.jpg

30 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Even a national games have so many dramas? It sounds like Olympics or FIFA World Cup process.

You don't know how it works over here :d  To bid for an edition, you don't have to create a good venue planning or really show the existing venues. You need to tour the country, visit the Sports Committee Head of every province, convince them to vote for you (in exchange for "something" ofc).

9 hours ago, rybak said:

European Athletics Championships which had to be held in the end of August in Paris are cancelled :cry: Season in athletics is over even before start....

There is still some hope for some Diamond League, they have more flexibility to postpone things now that there's no Olympics anyway :d 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Diamond_League

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

X Games Minneapolis 2020 Cancelled

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 concerns, X Games Minneapolis 2020 - July 17-19 - has been cancelled. The safety of the athletes, staff and spectators is our top priority, and we will continue to closely monitor the situation for all X Games events.

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Aaand say goodbye to Tajik football.

I'm watching yesterday's Istiklol - Kuktosh at this very moment (yeah I've started to actually follow this thing), so you're saying today's three matches aren't going ahead? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I'm watching yesterday's Istiklol - Kuktosh at this very moment (yeah I've started to actually follow this thing), so you're saying today's three matches aren't going ahead? :yikes: 

They will go forward today, but after that it's postponed at least through May 10.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

They will go forward today, but after that it's postponed at least through May 10.

Well damn. I mean, of course Turkmenistan's recently started season is still going ahead, but there's no live streams and/or good highlight videos of the matches from there as far as I can find :mad: 

And I know there's Taiwan or Belarus, but that's not obscure enough to be fun :p 

Just now, heywoodu said:

Well damn. I mean, of course Turkmenistan's recently started season is still going ahead, but there's no live streams and/or good highlight videos of the matches from there as far as I can find :mad: 

And I know there's Taiwan or Belarus, but that's not obscure enough to be fun :p 

Apparently Nicaragua and Burundi are going on as well, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for streaming. :p

#banbestmen