website statistics

Proposals for Continental Olympic Qualifications

Olympian1010

i admit that i prefer a qulification system, who favours the weak nations, because the olympic ideal, is not to winng but faith ell, i am on Coubertain side, not the present mony driving side, and i knew where the eiropean nations are situated, and i dont nead to see rthem in olympic games to knew that, but how many in Europe, knew where Sao Tome are situated, so it is better fore Sao Tome than Germany to be in olympic games.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

A) It’s actually called Artistic Swimming

B) It works better as a name

C) Not everything has to be synchronized

Meanwhile in Indonesia: Aquatic Gymnastics (although more media starts to adhere to the newest name change)

Let's wait for FIG trying to claim that discipline :p

17 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So, what would everyone’s opinion be on the following: We move NZL and AUS to Asian qualifiers, and leave the Continental spots for the smaller nations, or NZL/AUS only qualifier through continental spots when no other nations wish to. Thoughts?

How about moving Germany, France, Spain, UK, Italy, Poland, Scandinavia, Belgium, Netherlands etc. to America. Russia and Turkey can compete in the Asian qualification and we leave the European qualifier to Andorra, Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino and Vatican City. Would be roughly the same.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

it's the Olympics

So, that means only the best should be able to compete. Why force representation of different parts of the world in team sports when there are much better teams not even allowed to compete? I understand getting people from small nations to compete in some individual sports, but not team sports. It's not like small teams will benefit from the experience at all after a bunch of humiliating defeats. 

5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I'd prefer to merge Oceania with Asia and have only 4 regions (with only one America). For team sports, one place for every continent and the rest to be decided in global tournaments (held after the continental ones). For individual sports, continental places to be granted only if there is someone in the top x of the ranking. The majority of African and Oceanians NOCs don't care about most sports anyway, giving them free spots would make sense only as a form of encouragement if there was a growing trend of participation.

I prefer this to be the best solution, only 4 regions(Asia pacific, Europe, Africa and Pan America) each with one quota, and all the rest will go to global tournaments(and several invitation quotas). It's much more fair and competitive, good both for athletes and audience.

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

So, that means only the best should be able to compete. Why force representation of different parts of the world in team sports when there are much better teams not even allowed to compete? I understand getting people from small nations to compete in some individual sports, but not team sports. It's not like small teams will benefit from the experience at all after a bunch of humiliating defeats. 

Yeah, I ain't disagreeing with you :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oceania has a very small total population.If you exclude Australia -25 million - the remainder is about 13 million mainly in Papua New Guinea -7 million - and NZ - 4to5 

This is maybe not such a big deal in most team sports as Australia and sometimes NZ are either among the best dozen nations or they must qualify via a combined Asia Oceania system 

One glaring exception is football/soccer  where Australia has moved to Asia - for better competition and more lucrative games I guess - so NZ gets basically an automatic berth to every international tournament except for the big one -the mens World Cup.

And NZ are hopeless .Both M and W .

.Have they ever won a game at the top level ?

Why not give a guaranteed place to South Asia instead ? 1.7 billion people vs what ? 15 million.8 vs 9 nations both in IOC and FIFA

Or if this is too hard just join Oceania to Asia ( and the Americas should also be one confederation )

Edited by rajiv

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Personally, I’ve always thought Europe has too many quotas

huh ? In which universe has Europe too many quotas ? That´s why SVK has almost less athletes in Rio than Fiji. Do you know what a slovak athlete must do to qualify for the Olympics, he must almost be a world champion to do that...

Another reason why most people put up with Oceania quotas for Australia and New Zealand is that more often than not they have enough talent to at least justify a spot for them. Similar for United States/Canada in Pan America or China/Japan/South Korea in Asia. Of course this does not occur for all events, but at the same time, sport federations don't want to make it look like only 1 or 2 continents care about the event or else they risk the event being cut from the Olympics.