website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Cup 2020

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

It looks like the event finals were canceled. This is the most absurd thing I've heard in my life if this turns out to be true.

Can't believe it... Chinese athletes wasted a whole month in Doha preparing for it...

3 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

I know this matter very clear. 99% Liu Yang of the ring will qualify and the tomorrow's result will make it 100%. The other two Chinese athletes can't directly qualify through this individual world cup ranking system, but one of them may be assigned by the other quota.

Keikha has a great chance. His rival is not Chinese but Japanese. If he wins the gold, he will earn 30 points and total 80 points with a tie to Japanese athlete who is not on the list of this stage. There is tie break rule to compare their average score of 3 highest stages. But it's supposed to be temporary, there still comes another stage (if it will be held). In my memory that Japanese will not participate the last stage. That means Keikha has one more chance to surpass him.

Edit: Though Wen Hao may not win the quota, if he wins the gold tomorrow, he will get 30 pts. If so, Keikha can not surpass the Japanese even can't share a tie.

that's a good news but then as you said Japan will most probably take that quota. I was hoping/expecting Japan to win the Vault quota but their guy failed to even reach the final. and High Bar quota also will go the Netherlands and not Japan. so I guess no Olympics for Keikha :( unless he does something extraordinary tomorrow. even winning the gold is probably not enough.

29 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that's a good news but then as you said Japan will most probably take that quota. I was hoping/expecting Japan to win the Vault quota but their guy failed to even reach the final. and High Bar quota also will go the Netherlands and not Japan. so I guess no Olympics for Keikha :(unless he does something extraordinary tomorrow. even winning the gold is probably not enough.

The event has been canceled, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

The event has been canceled, unfortunately.

You mean the final tomorrow ? wow I thought you are talking about the final World Cup event.

cancelling the event in middle of it is nonsense, it doesn't change anything, :thumbdown:

45 minutes ago, MHSN said:

You mean the final tomorrow ? wow I thought you are talking about the final World Cup event.

cancelling the event in middle of it is nonsense, it doesn't change anything, :thumbdown:

Yes. There's no easy way out of this mess now. In my opinion, prize money and medals should be distributed based on the results of qualifications. Not the ideal scenario, but it's still better than nothing for the gymnasts. Points for Olympic qualification, though, is a way more complicated matter. If they award points based on qualifications, there will still be hope for Petrounias. If they cancel the results altogether, Petrounias will be out of the Olympics. Not to mention Kheika, Urara and other gymnasts who heavily relied on this stage to make it to the Olympics.

Edited by thiago_simoes

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

It looks like the event finals were canceled. This is the most absurd thing I've heard in my life if this turns out to be true.

yes, according to Italian press it's official...today Azerbaijan declared the state of crisis in the Country and stopped all the sport events...

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yes. There's no easy way out of this mess now. In my opinion, prize money and medals should be distributed based on the results of qualifications. Not the ideal scenario, but it's still better than nothing for the gymnasts. Points for Olympic qualification, though, is a way more complicated matter. If they award points based on qualifications, there will still be hope for Petrounias. If they cancel the results altogether, Petrounias will be out of the Olympics. Not to mention Kheika, Urara and other gymnasts who heavily relied on this stage to make it to the Olympics.

I think giving the points and ranking based on the qualification is a relatively fair solution. Athletes risk their health so much to compete and earn the badly needed points. I know Netherland quit the event but Zoderland chose to stay because he needed it so badly as well as other staying athletes. Their effort and risking should be paid off.

But even if Petrounias given 30 points this stage with 15.100 score is not enough to be qualify. 15.100 means it requires 15.332 next stage to surpass Liu Yang which is only theoretically possible for rings. Sad for gymnastics fans but good news for team Chinese.:p  

58 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I think giving the points and ranking based on the qualification is a relatively fair solution. Athletes risk their health so much to compete and earn the badly needed points. I know Netherland quit the event but Zoderland chose to stay because he needed it so badly as well as other staying athletes. Their effort and risking should be paid off.

But even if Petrounias given 30 points this stage with 15.100 score is not enough to be qualify. 15.100 means it requires 15.332 next stage to surpass Liu Yang which is only theoretically possible for rings. Sad for gymnastics fans but good news for team Chinese.:p  

As they say, one person's meat is another one's poison. Bad thing for the Greek, good thing for the Chinese (and possibly us Brazilians too, since Zanetti can still earn a medal on rings). 

10 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, according to Italian press it's official...today Azerbaijan declared the state of crisis in the Country and stopped all the sport events...

If that's the case, which I of course believe, we can be angry at FIG and/or the organizers all we want for cancelling in the middle of the event, but it's just entirely out of their control. I have no doubt they themselves would have liked to have the finals happening as much as anyone, nobody wants to cancel their event.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!