website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

Christy Prior :NZL - Snowboard. She was a World Cup winner, X Games medalist, and Olympic athlete.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Tania Cagnotto is pregnant announced her retirement. This is devastating for me, she was one of my favourite athletes :cry:

Thanks for all Tania, and good luck for all.

Always rooted for her, whenever i watched diving :( Going to miss this beauty.

Spoiler

Tania-Cagnotto-Palyboy-11.jpg

c'mon, guys! there's no reason to be sad...

Tania already had a wonderful career and now she's going to have her second son/daughter...

I'm sure she's very, very happy and excited for that as we also should be...;)

good luck for the pregnancy, in any case...

The only more or less globally competitive Slovak rower Lukáš Babáč announced today his retirement, former Lightweight Single Sculls european champion and 2 times WCh medalist. After failing to qualify for Tokyo in the Single Sculls he definitely decided to end his career in which he competed at the Olympics only once in 2004 he was the youngest athlete of our delegation.

By this retirement our rowing is definitely exterminated and sent into oblivion.

Oh, seems that I haven't updated that Živilė Vaiciukevičiūtė :LTU at the young age of 23 has decided to retire, which might have been caused by a super strict training regime from her coach as the main reason.

She was really the next big race-walking star, because in her very short career she already participated in Rio Olympics at the age of 19, won first place in a European Race Walking cup, was an U23 European bronze medalist and placed with 5th in the most recent European Championships. I'd dare say she was a top 5-7 athlete in our team and already had a qualification time for Tokyo as well.

Her less successful twin is still continuing, she was always behind Živilė from the very start, still produced some nice times, but then her results started going backwards, whilst Živilė took a minute off her PB in every race that she started and she would hold the Lithuanian race-walking record if not for Brigita Virbalytė-Dimšienė, whom finished 4th in that same European Championships a couple of seconds ahead of her.

• 2 weeks later...

IPod (Iouri Podladtchikov) announced his retirement: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1097651/snowboarder-podladtchikov-retires

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela