website statistics

Men's Handball IHF World Championship 2021

vlad

14 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Excuse my limited knowledge, but when and how exactly became Portugal a thing in this sport ? I am seriously imrpressed

They had some good results in Junior/Youth events recently. Porto is a good team in EHF Champions League

I think it was about time for Portugal to join the "elite" level team.

and while Norway can celebrate beating Portugal by just 1 goal. but still Portugal has a good chance to beat France and qualify with France. in fact Norway's fate is not in its hands anymore.

France only had one great match against Norway, they struggled against Switzerland and Algeria. beating them is not mission impossible for Portugal. (Portugal eliminated France from Euro 2020)

Thankfully Brazil wasn't a tough opponent today, maybe they are getting more tired as the WCh goes along. So we are playing for the Top8 against Poland. This definitely feel like an easy road to the Top8 than 2017 where we had to beat Denmark in the Round of 16, but I am expecting a very close match. 

I find it a bit surprising how few actual surprises are happening at this WCh so far all things considered. I mean, sure, there are a couple of upsets as always, but Germany is the only top European team that kinda fucked up their championship, and even they still have a chance if Poland helps them today by not letting us qualify. And while Group IV is messy, Sweden and Slovenia (as the stronger teams on paper) can still qualify by beating Russia and Egypt. I expected more chaos because of COVID. 

If everything goes as expected, these will be the QFs:

:ESP  v  :NOR 

:DEN  v  :SLO 

:FRA  v  :HUN 

:SWE  v  :CRO 

But hopefully there will be some surprises (just not on our match today :d)