website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2020 Thread

NearPup

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Why? Faking an illness to gain illegal advantage should be removed by default.

But thinking everyone with a TUE fakes an illness is plain stupid, I hope you don't mean that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

But thinking everyone with a TUE fakes an illness is plain stupid, I hope you don't mean that.

TUE only turns up in endurance sports like cross country or cycling. So it doesn't apply to everyone. In NFL people got banned indefinitely for being alcoholics. But in cross country hordes of Norwegians are faking asthma and become national heroes and Olympic champions. Ban TUE all across endurance sports and the problem is solved. If you really have asthma then become a lawyer or something but if you're faking it, you will still remain in cross country but just try to win it without the phoney support.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

the problem is TUE itself as it's ruled right now...

you don't need to fake illness...you can even be seriously sick, but you shouldn't be allowed to turn that disease around to your advantage (any referral to Lance Armstrong's history is purely intentional)...

I mean, Armstrong was almost ready for the Last Rites, with cancer all around his body...and look what happened...exempted from basically any sort of stoppage because of all the medicines he had to take once the cancer was (luckily) gone, he got to rebuild himself as a super-human, using things that normally put people in bed for weeks, months...

when you're sick, you should take a break. point.

not performing better than when you're fully healty.

Yes, but there are plenty of situations where you actually do have some sort of actual condition, and a TUE can function to level the playing field. I'm not saying it's not misused, sadly it is and very often at that, but abolishing it entirely is the other (also wrong) extreme.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

TUE only turns up in endurance sports like cross country or cycling. So it doesn't apply to everyone. In NFL people got banned indefinitely for being alcoholics. But in cross country hordes of Norwegians are faking asthma and become national heroes and Olympic champions. Ban TUE all across endurance sports and the problem is solved. If you really have asthma then become a lawyer or something but if you're faking it, you will still remain in cross country but just try to win it without the phoney support.

There’s plenty of people with diabetes & many other manageable conditions who benefit from TUEs.  Are you saying they should be thrown out of top-level sport just because a minority abuse the rules?  Hardly fair, the solution is to amend the rules to prevent abuse - only neutral doctors can prescribe, renewals are not automatically granted, statistics are published at year end etc etc.

The whole doping system should be revised. For example me. I do have some breathing problems after an intensive physical effort - like yesterday, when I was changing trains in 5 minutes which needed a sprint across two platforms and stairs with a bag in hand and a computer in a backpack. When I got the train I needed to take a medicine to start breathing normally faster than just waiting until the pain stops. It's always getting worse in spring, because that has to do with my pollen allergy. But it happens just after some running, which in my case is mostly sprint to the train/tram/bus. Nothing to do with curling, which needs quite a strength while sweeping, but no effort of that kind that makes my breathing problems. Should I need a TUE for that medicine? Should I be banned if that medicine leaves any traces and will be find (if in some strange way I'll get to the point of my curling career to be examined for doping)?

8 hours ago, dcro said:

@heywoodu :finger:

LPPjiXHK7kr5GSH7ANaaccCc4ceqIuV1L4I2Jo52

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

There’s plenty of people with diabetes & many other manageable conditions who benefit from TUEs.  Are you saying they should be thrown out of top-level sport just because a minority abuse the rules?  Hardly fair, the solution is to amend the rules to prevent abuse - only neutral doctors can prescribe, renewals are not automatically granted, statistics are published at year end etc etc.

The by far biggest issue is indeed the doctors: any doctor can prescribe it or take care of it, if I'm not mistaken.