website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2020 Thread

NearPup

Posting because we already have our first doping scandal of 2020!

:FRA Laurine Lecavelier (Figure Skating) has tested positive for cocaine.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Actualites/Patinage-artistique-laurine-lecavelier-controlee-positive-a-la-cocaine/1094887

Just now, NearPup said:

https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Actualites/Patinage-artistique-laurine-lecavelier-controlee-positive-a-la-cocaine/1094887

cocaine GIF

New coverages by ARD (German TV) on doping and corruption in Weightlifting (which end the most naive hopes that there would ever by a paradigm shift in Weightlifting or IWF):

IWF president Tamas Ajan supported and benefited from corruption and supported doping over decades:

(Sources are only available in German: https://www.sportschau.de/hintergrund/Doping-Gewichtheben-Praesident-droht-Strafverfolgung-100.html

The most important points:

• 23 Million Dollars on IWF accounts vanished, Ajan was the only one with access to these accounts
  • Certain countries and top athletes were basically not tested out of competition (including Georgian top lifter and past doping offender Talakhadse)
  • 42 of 62 Russian medal winners between 2007 and 2018 had ZERO out of competition tests
  • 77% of the doping tests worldwide between 2008 and 2017 were conducted by the Hungarian doping group (HUNADO) - allegations claim that some doping inspectors mandated by HUNADO were paid money by athletes/associations, in return third persons gave urine samples instead of the athletes who were supposed to be tested. For example all 101 doping tests of athletes from Moldova between 2008 and 2017 were conducted by HUNADO (no positive tests).
  • Ajan strongly opposed against the plan that the doping tests at the WCh 2015 in Houston would be organized by USADA. However, the USADA conducted the tests in the end, finding 24 athletes who failed doping tests - more than ever at WCh.
  • Moreover, 2012 OG Bronze medalist Rattikan Gulnoi from Thailand was filmed with hidden camera admitting doping since 2011 and talking about systematic doping in Thailand, including doping of 13 year olds. https://www.sportschau.de/doping/Thailands-Olympiadritte-gibt-Einblicke-in-Doping-100.html

It is sad for the countries which support anti-doping but I personally think that there are no hopes for this sport in the near future. Will be interesting how IOC reacts on this one.

7 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

42 of 62 Russian medal winners between 2007 and 2018 had ZERO out of competition tests

:lol: :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

New coverages by ARD (German TV) on doping and corruption in Weightlifting (which end the most naive hopes that there would ever by a paradigm shift in Weightlifting or IWF):

IWF president Tamas Ajan supported and benefited from corruption and supported doping over decades:

(Sources are only available in German: https://www.sportschau.de/hintergrund/Doping-Gewichtheben-Praesident-droht-Strafverfolgung-100.html

The most important points:

• 23 Million Dollars on IWF accounts vanished, Ajan was the only one with access to these accounts
  • Certain countries and top athletes were basically not tested out of competition (including Georgian top lifter and past doping offender Talakhadse)
  • 42 of 62 Russian medal winners between 2007 and 2018 had ZERO out of competition tests
  • 77% of the doping tests worldwide between 2008 and 2017 were conducted by the Hungarian doping group (HUNADO) - allegations claim that some doping inspectors mandated by HUNADO were paid money by athletes/associations, in return third persons gave urine samples instead of the athletes who were supposed to be tested. For example all 101 doping tests of athletes from Moldova between 2008 and 2017 were conducted by HUNADO (no positive tests).
  • Ajan strongly opposed against the plan that the doping tests at the WCh 2015 in Houston would be organized by USADA. However, the USADA conducted the tests in the end, finding 24 athletes who failed doping tests - more than ever at WCh.
  • Moreover, 2012 OG Bronze medalist Rattikan Gulnoi from Thailand was filmed with hidden camera admitting doping since 2011 and talking about systematic doping in Thailand, including doping of 13 year olds. https://www.sportschau.de/doping/Thailands-Olympiadritte-gibt-Einblicke-in-Doping-100.html

It is sad for the countries which support anti-doping but I personally think that there are no hopes for this sport in the near future. Will be interesting how IOC reacts on this one.

I don’t know. I feel like the IWF has turned a new leaf recently. They’ve been much better about enforcing doping violations, and about advertising clean sport. Most of this data is pre the new era of the IWF.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know. I feel like the IWF has turned a new leaf recently. They’ve been much better about enforcing doping violations, and about advertising clean sport. Most of this data is pre the new era of the IWF.

I hope you are right. However, the new leaf has officially been turned prior to the OG 2016, when RUS and BUL were completely banned. ARD only had access to documents covering doping tests until 2018, so it is unclear if is really a change. The IWF president is still Tamas Ajan - hard to believe that he has been corrupt and supported doping from 2000 (his installation as a president) to 2018 and then out of the blue stopped being corrupt.

4 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

I hope you are right. However, the new leaf has officially been turned prior to the OG 2016, when RUS and BUL were completely banned. ARD only had access to documents covering doping tests until 2018, so it is unclear if is really a change. The IWF president is still Tamas Ajan - hard to believe that he has been corrupt and supported doping from 2000 (his installation as a president) to 2018 and then out of the blue stopped being corrupt.

Yes, Ajan needs to go before the IWF “new leaf” can be completely believed. I do feel like they’ve worked to improve, but this study is obviously worrying.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 03/01/2020 at 08:33, NearPup said:

What are the odds Eric Clapton is her favorite musician?

14 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Ajan is the main reason for corruption  this is a common knowledge in Weightlifting community . people don't talk about it because almost all national WL federations made deals with him. he sold lots of World/Olympic medals to different countries.

that ARD report sounds correct to me. it fits with what i knew about IWF and Ajan himself. I give you guys some examples regarding Iranian WLers. these 3 examples are 100% confirmed for me, there are more stories though.

back in 2000 Olympics, 1999 World Champion and top favorite for the gold Shahin Nassirinia came to the stage, injured his arm in his first snatch attempt and left the competition. at the time it was just bad luck but later his teammates (and later himself) admitted that was fake, he was told by IWF to pull out, because IWF has "proofs" against the Iranian team (and specially Nassirinia) and will disqualify the whole team if he doesn't pull out ! it turned out IWF wanted their boy Pyrros Dymas to win his 3rd Olympic gold medal. Nassirinia never officially got suspended or even accused of doping. and Iran won two gold medals in the next days. (mostly because Nassirinia followed the order and let Dymas take that gold medal)

and in 2006, the whole Iranian team tested positive for doping except just one guy, Hossein Rezazadeh, he was double Olympic Champion and face of World Weightlifting at the time. simply the best weightlifter in the world at the time. IWF didn't want him to get caught. I heard from some of his teammates that someone else gave urine samples instead of him. obviously they were using the same drugs (thanks to the Bulgarian coach)

and one more example, back in 2009 in South Korea, the host nation didn't win a gold medal in men's weightlifting until the last day, they wanted that gold but there was an Iranian guy Saeid Alihosseini who had broken the WR in training and everybody knew he will win the gold. 2 days before the competition he was told to fake an injury during the training and leave South Korea because IWF found some evidences about his doping and if he leaves he won't get suspended. he did but still they suspended him. and that Korean guy who the gold medal. ironically that guy An Yong-Kwon never won any title (even continental) beside that gold medal !