website statistics

Weightlifting 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

13 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

The 1st East Asian Championships has just been cancelled, it was a silver category olympic qualification event…..Tomorrow is going to start in Dubai the West Asian Championsips, @MHSN is Moradi confirmed to start?

well Moradi was quiet in past few months, I mean very quiet  finding news about him was even harder than news about inside North Korea ! I know he wasn't training with the national team. (nobody knows the reason)

I heard two different news about him. both from "reliable sources" totally different news. 1) he withdrew from the event and decided to focus on that tournament in Colombia late in March + Asian Champs. 2) he is already in Dubai from few days ago, because it was possible that UAE put a blanket ban on Iranian citizens because of the virus and he didn't want to miss that important chance.

I don't know which one to believe but the second one comes from more reliable sources. so I assume he is in Dubai already.

ps: with those news coming from Colombia, I assume it's possible if they cancel that event. I think that's the only event Iranian federation registered before the Asian Championships. in that case Moradi has to participate in West Asian Championships. otherwise he is out of the Olympics for sure.

23 hours ago, MHSN said:

he is already in Dubai from few days ago, because it was possible that UAE put a blanket ban on Iranian citizens because of the virus and he didn't want to miss that important chance.

Moradi is in Dubai and will participate on Friday, his entry is 360kg, while I'm sure he knows he needs something like 390 or more at least, assuming he will be in better shape in April and will lift more at the Asian Championships

and that early trip turned out to be a smart move, other Iranian weightlifters (coaches, etc) missed the event because of flight's cancellation

Edited by MHSN

Sohrab Moradi set a very poor record in Dubai 370kg (163+207) :( this is disappointing but I guess that's just normal only few months after a shoulder surgery. this will be very funny/interesting if he doesn't qualify for the Olympics despite setting a new World record inside the qualification period ! :facepalm: well done to whoever created this qualification system.

his chance is not dead yet, but if he wants to qualify himself (without thinking about other things) he needs something like his 416 WR at the Asian Championships , he has 2 months to prepare and gets better. but I think improving more than 30kg is almost impossible in 2 months. :( but Colombia's possible disqualification and the slim possibility of China "not picking" Tian Tao gives him a slim chance to qualify with even something like 390kg.

I was looking at the ranking and it seems the following athletes are qualified for sure

:CHN Tian (only if China sends him)

:QAT El-Bakh

:GEO Pliesnoi

:CAN Santavy

:KOR Yu (or someone else from Korea)

:VEN Vallenilla or Luna

I didn't count :COL Rivas and :ARM Mkrtchyan and :BLR Tsikhantsou. assuming COL will be banned and ARM/BLR won't use their quota in this weight with no medal chance.

next in the ranking are

:JPN Yamamoto 3412

:CUB Saez 3264

:KGZ Rasulbekov 3211 (will be 3219 when they update the ranking)

:RUS Khugaev 3195 (probably won't be picked by Russia)

Sohrab will be 2136 with this new result. if we count Saez as 8th placer, Sohrab needs something like 405kg to beat his score :( but if China decides to not send Tian, Rasulbekov will be in top 8 and Sohrab can grab the quota by 385 or 390 as the best ranked Asian weightlifter. and there is also another complication , if Iran has two top 8 at 109kg and +109kg, can Iran reject one of those quotas to get this one as "Asian quota" ?

considering all those possibilities it seems our Olympic Champion won't be able to defend his title in Tokyo :cry::cry::cry: imagine someone like Saez (who is in fact a 89kg weightlifter) qualifies while his best result is just 366kg ! 50kg lower than Moradi's WR

very sad and unfair situation...:facepalm:

hopefully, Moradi can pull out a miracle at Asian Champs (but are we sure that they will be held sometimes somewhere? :mumble:)...

but I don't think China would leave Tian out of their Olympic team, especially if this means no Moradi in the starting field of the Olympic event...

in the end, i think China will make 4 "utilitaristic" picks, choosing 4 weight classes where they are a safe Gold (meaning that most likely they won't challenge Om in the -61kg, as I'm pretty sure Om would eventually show up with monster lifts also in that class in Tokyo, even if so far he hasn't been impressive at all in this class)...

57 minutes ago, phelps said:

very sad and unfair situation...:facepalm:

hopefully, Moradi can pull out a miracle at Asian Champs (but are we sure that they will be held sometimes somewhere? :mumble:)...

but I don't think China would leave Tian out of their Olympic team, especially if this means no Moradi in the starting field of the Olympic event...

in the end, i think China will make 4 "utilitaristic" picks, choosing 4 weight classes where they are a safe Gold (meaning that most likely they won't challenge Om in the -61kg, as I'm pretty sure Om would eventually show up with monster lifts also in that class in Tokyo, even if so far he hasn't been impressive at all in this class)...

that's a good question, but let's hope things will get better in two months and beside that in this specific sport there is a simple solution. they simply can let Asian weightlifters to participate in other continental Champs ,

yes I'm sure Chinese coaches monitor Moradi (and Rostami) situation but that guy Fares El-Bakh is now one of the favorites, Tian beating him is not a sure thing. and maybe (just maybe) Tian being unpredictable doesn't make him a "safe gold" for the Chinese coaches.

34 minutes ago, MHSN said:

2020 IWF Junior World Championships, Bucharest, ROU – cancelled!

https://www.iwf.net/2020/02/29/2020-iwf-junior-world-championships-bucharest-rou-cancelled/

I feel like some countries are using this virus as a way to save money on hosting events. I’m not sure if that’s the case here or not, but it’s annoying still. I am glad that many IFs are taking athlete wellbeing seriously, unlike others (cough*FIL*cough)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

How is there even a chance of China not sending Tian Tao? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!