website statistics

Weightlifting 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I read the whole report, this pictures Tamas Ajan as devil himself :p while I agree with that, I wonder why nobody stopped this devil in past 45 years ?! hard to believe nobody in IOC/WADA/etc knew how corrupt he is. everybody in weightlifting community knows about him. I (as a normal sport fan) am not even an expert in this sport and I know some of his dirty actions.

The problem all sports have is that it is impossible to get rid of the guy that controls the money.  National Federations know they’ll get cut off if they vote him down at meetings,

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

I read the whole report, this pictures Tamas Ajan as devil himself :p while I agree with that, I wonder why nobody stopped this devil in past 45 years ?! hard to believe nobody in IOC/WADA/etc knew how corrupt he is. everybody in weightlifting community knows about him. I (as a normal sport fan) am not even an expert in this sport and I know some of his dirty actions.

I really hope they kick all of his friends out of IWF, maybe they even have to destroy IWF and create something new. this organization is corrupt to the core. I think this lady Ursula Papandrea is a good person but she is surrounded by Ajan's friends.

a few details revealed by Antonio Urso (current Italian and European Federation's president, the only man who in the last 10 years tried togo against Ajan, but got beaten big time all the times) speaking with Italian media...

the photo of the voting paper reported in the McLaren book was taken by him at the latest IWF Board elections (when he got beaten once again by the Hungarian "devil")...

and he explained that all the voting members were given an anonymous cellular phone with an unregistered Kazakh sim and after the vote they had to make a photo of the voting paper with the preference given to Ajan and send it to a phone number not associated to any known people...

after doing so, they received a sms with the instructions to deposit the amount of money they were promised in exchange for voting for Ajan...

moreover, he added that right now he and a few other IWF members not involved with Ajan's interests are writing a new "Constitution" for the IWF and they hope it will be ready by the end of this year, so to replace all the people and the rules that favoured Ajan's tenure...

by the way, he also looks convinced that despite any effort to fix the IWF's troubles, Paris 2024 will be the last appearance of this sport at the Olympic Games...and actually he wouldn't be surprised if the IOC comes back on their decisions and get Weightlifting out of the Games already in 2024...

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

The problem all sports have is that it is impossible to get rid of the guy that controls the money.  National Federations know they’ll get cut off if they vote him down at meetings,

I know (even though it doesn't mean national federations are not guilty here) but I mean IOC, why IOC never tried to stop him for half century ! this guy was an IOC member !!! IOC is not innocent here. it's impossible to think nobody in IOC wasn't aware of his actions, I mean I knew as a normal person ! how come IOC didn't ?

we should thank German TV, ARD for that report, otherwise this guy was still at power. only death could make him go and I'm not even sure about that, he would found a way to bribe death too !

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I know (even though it doesn't mean national federations are not guilty here) but I mean IOC, why IOC never tried to stop him for half century ! this guy was an IOC member !!! IOC is not innocent here. it's impossible to think nobody in IOC wasn't aware of his actions, I mean I knew as a normal person ! how come IOC didn't ?

we should thank German TV, ARD for that report, otherwise this guy was still at power. only death could make him go and I'm not even sure about that, he would found a way to bribe death too !

according to Urso, also the German TV aren't that transparent, as he called them many times in these last years, but they decided to make something against Ajan only when he was already partially in disgrace...

until 2016 (and earlier) also the mighty ARD didn't have the bravery to go against the mega-president of weightlifting, which means, if true, that his power was really enormous and did go well beyond a simple sport federation...

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

according to Urso, also the German TV aren't that transparent, as he called them many times in these last years, but they decided to make something against Ajan only when he was already partially in disgrace...

until 2016 (and earlier) also the mighty ARD didn't have the bravery to go against the mega-president of weightlifting, which means, if true, that his power was really enormous and did go well beyond a simple sport federation...

this is really interesting, and that makes sense, I mean Ajan was in trouble (big big trouble) after re-testing of 2008 and 2012 samples. attacking him at this time was much easier.

in that report, they say he has diplomatic passport and could use it whenever necessary. this guy really had unlimited power. but I still can't believe how come he could continue doing this for such a long time. this is unbelievable. I wonder what he was doing before WADA and when IWF had total control over its own anti-doping program. :facepalm:

I hope Urso and his friends can make a big change and change the whole IWF. also most countries have to take a look into their weightlifting federations to find possible corrupt officials., at least Iran should do that for sure.

and I really hope they keep the sport at the Olympics. I know it's hard to change the culture of doping in this sport. but it's possible if they clean IWF from Ajan and his friends.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

I really hope they kick all of his friends out of IWF, maybe they even have to destroy IWF and create something new. this organization is corrupt to the core. I think this lady Ursula Papandrea is a good person but she is surrounded by Ajan's friends.

This is why I claimed that every national federation was guilty.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

To be fair, you also just can’t level stories like this without the proper facts, proof, primary/secondary sources, and checking of all those criteria. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have made that case against him earlier; I’m just saying that we should be thankful they eventually did. 

I don’t know what German label/slander laws are like, but I’m sure they’re not as protective (for journalists) as their American counterparts. You can pretty much whatever you want about someone in the U.S. as long as you have a source or two, but that’s not the case in most countries.

We need also consider the amount of time that goes into producing a documentary like this. That requires time to collect b-roll, conduct voice-overs, amd then fact check/produce/edit all of that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...