website statistics

Weightlifting 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

IWF officially disqualified almost the whole Thai squad from 2018 World Championships (not exactly the whole squad but still) there are lots of medal reallocation. mostly in favor of China and Romania !

45kg:

Gold: :THA Sukcharoen ===> :TKM Jumabayeva

Silver: :TKM Jumabayeva ===> :THA Nanthawong

Bronze: :THA Nanthawong ===> :VEN Echandia

49kg:

Gold: :THA Pamongkhol ===> :CHN Hou

Silver: :CHN Hou ===> :CHN Jiang

Bronze: :CHN Jiang ===> :ROU Andries

55kg:

Gold: :THA Srisurat ===> :CHN Li

Silver: :CHN Li ===> :CHN Zhang

Bronze: :CHN Zhang ===> :ROU Iovu

64kg:

Bronze: :THA Wamalun ===> :ROU Toma

+87kg:

Bronze: :THA Chaidee ===> :PRK Kim

in general Thailand lost 3 gold and 2 bronze medals. 2 of those golds went to China and one of them to Turkmenistan ! 3 bronze medals also went to Romania ! and Echandia became the first ever female world championship medalist from Venezuela !

24 minutes ago, MHSN said:

IWF officially disqualified almost the whole Thai squad from 2018 World Championships (not exactly the whole squad but still) there are lots of medal reallocation. mostly in favor of China and Romania !

I'm still hopeful Reis will get a medal after all. Unlikely, but this sport is so crazy the results keep changing years after the events ended. 

20 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm still hopeful Reis will get a medal after all. Unlikely, but this sport is so crazy the results keep changing years after the events ended. 

that's unlikely because the Uzbek guy apparently got busted after the 2018 Worlds, and it seems IWF doesn't like to touch World Champs results unless the athlete in question tested positive exactly in that competition. but his case is still open, we will know more when IWF officially disqualifies him (specially about when he got caught) but they have to be quick. all these disqualifications have direct impact on 2020 Olympic qualifications. (I mean the number of disqualified athletes which will determine how many quota they can win maximum)

I think Reis has more chance with his Rio Olympics 5th place ! because they test Olympic samples so many times in next few years and there are some suspicious guys above him in the final standing.

but he has a good chance for a medal on the competition day in Tokyo. if nothing special happens, we will have at least one new country on the Olympic podium. it will be either Brazil, Algeria, Syria or Turkmenistan.

Reis has the 4th best result in the Olympic qualification period among eligible weightlifters for Tokyo, and if we remove both Armenian guys (I assume they won't participate in Tokyo) he will be 2nd behind only Talakhadze !! he will be 3rd though when they update the ranking, still that means podium.

Edited by MHSN

53 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

3 suspected doping cases for Colombian weightlifters , 2 women and 1 man. 

if I'm not wrong that means Colombia will be banned from the Olympics. because of having 3 cases inside the qualification period.

that's a big news, Colombia was going to benefit a lot from all these suspensions and limitations but they got caught too

Edited by MHSN

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

if I'm not wrong that means Colombia will be banned from the Olympics. because of having 3 cases inside the qualification period.

that's a big names, Colombia was going to benefit a lot from all these suspensions and limitations but they got caught too

You are right , if the rules will be respected, and Colombia is a medal contender in all 4 men weight, and also in women are good outsider.

56 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

3 suspected doping cases for Colombian weightlifters , 2 women and 1 man. 

No names mentioned yet?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

No names mentioned yet?

always check this link :d. the only good thing about IWF is they publish the names even after the initial test

https://www.iwf.net/category/anti-doping-news/

Ana Iris SEGURA

Juan Felipe SOLIS ARBOLEDA

Yenny SINISTERRA

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

always check this link :d. the only good thing about IWF is they publish the names even after the initial test

https://www.iwf.net/category/anti-doping-news/

Ana Iris SEGURA

Juan Felipe SOLIS ARBOLEDA

Yenny SINISTERRA

Both women were 5th in the world championships, ouch. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

You are right , if the rules will be respected, and Colombia is a medal contender in all 4 men weight, and also in women are good outsider.

the thing is it will take centuries for IWF to finish the case and officially suspend the dopers, we are still waiting to know the final decision about Armenia's 20th case. I don't know what they will do if they don't finalize the case in time and before the end of April.