website statistics

Wrestling 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

52 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

very nice to have Soryan in UWW 

only if he gets elected :d

to be honest it's always better to see former wrestlers in these positions. much better than guys who never set foot on a mat in their entire life ! from that list I only know 3 of them as former wrestlers, and one of them Mikhail Mamiashvili is a kind of mafia boss. that leaves only Sourian and Daniel Igali.

--------------------

in another news, IOC decided to give joint gold medals for 2012 Olympics super heavyweight. both gold and silver medalists tested positive and there was no rule in UWW regarding a situation like this. they modified the rules and from now in a situation like this both bronze medalists will be upgraded to the gold medal position. that means :IRI Komeil Ghasemi and :RUS Bilyal Makhov will be both Olympic Champions. UWW initially only awarded the gold to Ghasemi just because he lost the eventual gold medalist ! which was nonsense.

this will be the first time in more than 124 years of history of wrestling at the Olympics to award two gold medals

among the candidates, Lucio Caneva is the current Team Manager/Technical Director of the Italian National team (and dad of Aaron -wrestler in the men's FS -86kg- and Dalma -world junior silver medallist a few years ago and silver medallist at the last senior European Champs)...

He's also Edith Dosza's husband (she's one of the most appreciated refs in the world of wrestling)...

so, despite not being a former wrestler at the highest level, I think he'd be a better choice than Mamiashvili, for instance (despite the Russian/Georgian is a world and Olympic medallist on the mat)...

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

only if he gets elected :d

to be honest it's always better to see former wrestlers in these positions. much better than guys who never set foot on a mat in their entire life ! from that list I only know 3 of them as former wrestlers, and one of them Mikhail Mamiashvili is a kind of mafia boss. that leaves only Sourian and Daniel Igali.

--------------------

in another news, IOC decided to give joint gold medals for 2012 Olympics super heavyweight. both gold and silver medalists tested positive and there was no rule in UWW regarding a situation like this. they modified the rules and from now in a situation like this both bronze medalists will be upgraded to the gold medal position. that means :IRI Komeil Ghasemi and :RUS Bilyal Makhov will be both Olympic Champions. UWW initially only awarded the gold to Ghasemi just because he lost the eventual gold medalist ! which was nonsense.

this will be the first time in more than 124 years of history of wrestling at the Olympics to award two gold medals

Wasn't Mamiashvili the president of the Russian federation? I knew his name sounded familiar, then you wrote this and I searched his picture and immediately recognized that mobster face :d Fairly sure I wrote some things about him on a Dutch website a few years ago because of your posts about him :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wasn't Mamiashvili the president of the Russian federation? I knew his name sounded familiar, then you wrote this and I searched his picture and immediately recognized that mobster face :d Fairly sure I wrote some things about him on a Dutch website a few years ago because of your posts about him :p 

Yes :d and he is still the Wrestling Russia President.

and he just doesn't look like a mobster. he is a mobster :d

On 14/07/2020 at 10:51, MHSN said:

This seems like the only reasonable solution.

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

This seems like the only reasonable solution.

Meh, I'd have given Dlagnev silver at least instead of bronze...considering he lost in the semi's against a proven doper and so isn't even supposed to be in anything less than silver-medal position in the first place.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Meh, I'd have given Dlagnev silver at least instead of bronze...considering he lost in the semi's against a proven doper and so isn't even supposed to be in anything less than silver-medal position in the first place.

well that doper beat Ghasemi in the QF (by ball draw in both periods, didn't really score on him) before meeting Dlagnev (he pinned Dlagnev in less than a minute) and Ghasemi later beat Dlagnev in the bronze medal match. even without that doper Dlagnev still wouldn't made it to the final ! he had to face Ghasemi in the SF.

On 16/07/2020 at 00:49, heywoodu said:

There is an actual ranking that exists. Third and fifth place are always shared, so if 1 and 2 both are DQed it makes sense to bump everybody up by one.

If 2 people in the top four of a racket sport event were DQed I would advocate four bronze medals be re-alocated, by the same logic (since on the initial results there was a four way tie for fifth).

• 2 weeks later...

while the traditional tournaments are still "on holiday", yesterday night in Austin (Texas, USA) one of the classic US "Beat the Streets" shows was on stage with a few interesting men's Freestyle matches...

and the main event was probably also the match of the year:USA Kyle Dake vs :ITA Frank Chamizo Marquez, at the weight limit of 79kg (so, in the territory favourable to Dake, more than Chamizo, who's normally a 74kg wrestler, coming up from lower weights)...

however, as expected, it was a really close bout...and the eventual winner was :USA Kyle Dake by a score of 4-3 (2-1 in his favour also the first 3 mins)...

other results from last night (all US wrestlers):

David Taylor b. Myles Martin 11-0
Luke Pletcher b. Darrion Caldwell 9-2
Roman Bravo-Young b. Jack Mueller 8-1
Vito Arujau b. Sammy Alvarez 16-5

unfortunately all the video stuff is only on the pay site Flowrestling.org...if someone has a subscription, here's the link:

https://www.flowrestling.org/?utm_source=flosportshomepage&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=flosports.tv&utm_term=ournetwork