website statistics

Wrestling 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Dagestani's going at it after their match, Mongolian coaches with an angry striptease, Olympic wrestling always has something doesn't it? :d 

and Ara Abrahamian leaving his bronze medal on the mat :d there are lots of accidents like this, minor and major, I would write more but for some of them I can't find the video. :cry:

but I have one for today :d

This is 1996 Olympic final between :IRI Abbas Jadidi and :USA Kurt Angle. in Iran this is still considered as the "biggest robbery in sport" even though I don't agree with it. the final score was 1-1, at the time the tiebreaker was the number of passivity warnings which was also tied 2-2. so it was up to the refs to decide which one was more "active" ! apparently there were "unwritten rules" at the time that in cases like this whoever scored first or whoever forced his opponent for the last passivity warning (Jadidi in both cases) has the upper hand. but that was something "unwritten" not the rules, from what I saw the match was pretty even, Angle was more active during the regular time, Jadidi attacked more in extra time. the call could go either way. and the host nation usually gets those kind of calls. even though I believe Jadidi scored a takedown out of the mat in extra time. he could win it 2-1.

but what was funny was Jadidi's reaction, when refs were talking to decide the winner, he went there and was present in their short meeting :d and he claims he heard 2 refs called him the winner but the center ref (from Mongolia) was disagreed. he thought he won the match 2-1 (2 refs against one) but then the center ref raised Angle's hand ! even after 20 years Jadidi still can't speak English in a medium level, so I highly doubt he could understand the conversation :d

this is also very famous in USA wrestling community, they are still making fun of Jadidi's reaction.

to have a better idea why this match was super important, it could be Iran's first ever Olympic gold medal after the "Islamic Revolution" and it was in USA and against an American wrestler, (we are talking about 24 years ago when everything was Anti-American, before Khatami presidency era)

Iran won that first gold medal the next day by another wrestler, Jadidi's biggest enemy :d

PS: Jadidi used to be very popular at the time, not now, he got into politics and did lots of stupid things after that. I can say he is somehow hated mostly these days.

24 minutes ago, MHSN said:

in Iran this is still considered as the "biggest robbery in sport" even though I don't agree with it.

Kurt Angle won = I agree with it being a robbery :mad: #TeamStoneColdSteveAustin

Right, now to read the rest.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/bureau-approves-bundle-updated-options-competition-calendars-2020-2021

UWW still thinks they can have Worlds Junior and U23 Championships this year. you can't see this in the article but they are also asking national federations about having a World Senior Championships late in 2020. Georgia is the possible host.

but there is also important that UWW says the ranking events in 2021 won't change the seeding for the Olympics, so the current ranking in UWW website is almost final. only Chinese and North Korean wrestlers can add some points from the 2021 Asian Championships but that won't make lots of changes.

important points for the men's freestyle (if nobody withdraws)

57kg: Zaur Uguev and Ravi Kumar will face in the SF, I was expecting that to be the Olympic final

65kg: Otoguro will be unseeded, so being seeded isn't necessarily a good thing here.

74kg: if Burroughs makes team USA (he has to beat 79kg World Champion Kyle Dake) he and Frank Chamizo will face in the SF, and if Russia sends Sidakov he will be in the other side of the draw.

86kg: if Russia sends Naifonov, he won't face our Yazdani before the final. David Taylor is still unseeded.

97kg: if Kyle Snyder makes it (he has to beat Jden Cox) he and the great Sadulaev won't meet before the final

125kg: Petriashvili and Akgul won't meet before the final

On 18/06/2020 at 01:47, MHSN said:

97kg: if Kyle Snyder makes it (he has to beat Jden Cox) he and the great Sadulaev won't meet before the final

Awesome! :d 

How about Mijain Lopez?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 30/04/2020 at 08:13, heywoodu said:

Dagestani's going at it after their match, Mongolian coaches with an angry striptease, Olympic wrestling always has something doesn't it? :d 

That’s how you can tell whether you are watching Pro or Amateur wrestling.

Amateur wresting: Hit the ref with a chair - lifetime ban.

Pro wrestling: Hit the ref with a chair - lifetime contract.

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Awesome! :d 

How about Mijain Lopez?

the last thing I heard from him, he wants to wrestle in Tokyo but his normal bodyweight is higher than 130kg, he has to control his weight for another year and considering his age I won't be surprised if Cubans decide to send Oscar Pino who is also a gold medal candidate

but if they send Lopez, he will be unseeded.

9 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

That’s how you can tell whether you are watching Pro or Amateur wrestling.

Amateur wresting: Hit the ref with a chair - lifetime ban.

Pro wrestling: Hit the ref with a chair - lifetime contract.

:lol: 

Although I prefer to distinguish it by one being a sport and the other being nothing but cheap theater :p 

• 2 weeks later...

UWW wants to have World Senior Championship this year , 12-20 December, in Belgrade, Serbia.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/executive-board-develops-plan-remaining-2020-events

but only if

Any competition wishing to be held in 2020 must follow the criteria as established by the Executive Board and must be fulfilled for any competitions to go ahead. The competitions must include 8 of the 10 best ranked teams and a minimum of 70% participating countries (based on prior year’s athlete attendance).

this is funny, 2019 WCh was the Olympic Qualifier, we always have more countries for the Olympic Qualifiers, even without COVID-19 it was possible to see less than 70% teams comparing to 2019 Worlds !

• 2 weeks later...

Let's speak about sport politics :p

UWW announced the executive board candidates:

Already in the EB: Marina Di Bussolo Pellicone (ITA), Pedro Gama Filho (BRA), Mikhail Mamiashvili (RUS), Fouad Meskout (MAR), Akhroldjan Ruziev (UZB).

New candidates: Lucio Caneva (ITA), Daniel Igali (NGR), Jan Karsnak (SVK), Dina Kharenko (UKR), Marko Korpela (FIN), Edisher Machaidze (GEO), Don Ryan (CAN), Hamid Soryan (IRI), Johnny Zambrano (ECU).

3 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Let's speak about sport politics :p

UWW announced the executive board candidates:

Already in the EB: Marina Di Bussolo Pellicone (ITA), Pedro Gama Filho (BRA), Mikhail Mamiashvili (RUS), Fouad Meskout (MAR), Akhroldjan Ruziev (UZB).

New candidates: Lucio Caneva (ITA), Daniel Igali (NGR), Jan Karsnak (SVK), Dina Kharenko (UKR), Marko Korpela (FIN), Edisher Machaidze (GEO), Don Ryan (CAN), Hamid Soryan (IRI), Johnny Zambrano (ECU).

and there will be nobody to challenge Nenad Lalovic for the president position. he will be UWW president for 6 more years.

while I'm not 100% happy with them and UWW is still not clean but he was much better than that corrupt Martinetti guy.