website statistics

Wrestling 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

14 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Executed this morning.

No, I meant the youth wrestler who was (?) facing death due to cancer.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

UWW confirmed the dates for the World Wrestling Championships this year - 12-20 December in Beograd. Also the U23 Worlds are probably canceled.

On a side note, our World Champion Taybe Yusein had a major injury and will be out for the next 6 months and thankfully will start training around february-march and prepare for the Olympics.

9 hours ago, Federer91 said:

UWW confirmed the dates for the World Wrestling Championships this year - 12-20 December in Beograd. Also the U23 Worlds are probably canceled.

actually they officially cancelled the U23 Worlds but kept things unclear for the senior worlds but yes I also read the source of your post. looks like right now there is more chance to have the World seniors. while health of the athletes is the top priority I really hope they find a way to have this competition, 7 months without wrestling is already too much ! :pope:

On 12/09/2020 at 04:48, MHSN said:

since IOC/FIFA/ AAA/BBB/CCC are worried about the murderers, I wonder why they didn't defend Oscar Pistorius, he was an Olympian and a Paralympics champion after all, he had the right to kill people and walk free, they were cruel to deny him that right. :thumbdown:#FreeOscarMurderious

I don't want to get into details, this is a sport forum, but from what I read, heard and watched, I think he is guilty, of course I don't trust the system though. but this is just a simple murder case, not a security/political matter. (where they feel they have to lie) the Iranian regime is notorious for dishonestly, so you always can say something against them and hope for people to believe it.  that's what this guy's family is doing. but I don't think this is going to help him, his claim doesn't have much support inside the country (unlike another case a month ago about 3 other kids and they survived eventually) this is mostly twitter and naive western journalists trying to make a story

I have to correct few things about this case, my reaction was negative at first mostly because of those fake "Wrestler Champion" part. when you see a lie you don't believe everything at first. but the more I learned about the case the more suspicious it seemed to me. he was indeed a wrestler but in a low level, never won anything in his own state to even makes it to the nation-wide competitions.

but to me his story looks like some Hollywood movies when some powerful guys kill someone and then they find a weak uneducated random guy to take the fall, (remember Prison break season 1 ?) except this guy happened to be a random wrestler and his story made it to the public. and his execution in such a hurry broke so many laws (I'm talking about the current Iranian laws !!) which makes things much more suspicious. some people (including myself) don't think he didn't even get executed. he was probably got murdered (by accident during a fight or beating or maybe intentional)

@heywoodu I thought I should mention you, since you were interested in this story and I gave you some wrong information

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

I have to correct few things about this case, my reaction was negative at first mostly because of those fake "Wrestler Champion" part. when you see a lie you don't believe everything at first. but the more I learned about the case the more suspicious it seemed to me. he was indeed a wrestler but in a low level, never won anything in his own state to even makes it to the nation-wide competitions.

but to me his story looks like some Hollywood movies when some powerful guys kill someone and then they find a weak uneducated random guy to take the fall, (remember Prison break season 1 ?) except this guy happened to be a random wrestler and his story made it to the public. and his execution in such a hurry broke so many laws (I'm talking about the current Iranian laws !!) which makes things much more suspicious. some people (including myself) don't think he didn't even get executed. he was probably got murdered (by accident during a fight or beating or maybe intentional)

@heywoodu I thought I should mention you, since you were interested in this story and I gave you some wrong information

however, from any perspective you look at this story, it's a really sad one...:cry:

• 4 weeks later...

a bit surprising, but UWW confirms 2020 World Championship in Belgrade in December tonight

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/executive-committee-confirms-wrestling-world-championships-belgrade-december

while as a wrestling fan I'm happy with this but I'm still not sure if it's possible. why Serbian government is doing such a sacrifice ? :mumble:

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

@phelps can you give us any update on the current citizenship of naturalized Italian wrestlers ?

beside Chamizo, we know Kakhelashvili also received his citizenship, what about Conyedo and Kudiamagomedov ?

They are not (and will not be for Tokyo) Italian citizens. Being few foreigners in Italy, and not being married to an Italian, they would have to wait 10 years for citizenship. The only way to obtain it is an ad hoc provision of the council of ministers that assigns the citizen to him for sporting merits (but every year there is a maximum citizenship limit to be assigned)