website statistics

Wrestling 2020 Discussion Thread

MHSN

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

even Slovakia and Romania won Olympic medals like that !

Sadly nowadays it´s like our complete NT is composed of naturalized guys. I mean yes, a couple of them are young and competed for us already at different juniors categories, but it is still kinda weird for me IMO, we used to have some solid wrestlers in the czechoslovakian era, now it looks like we're not even trying to attract kids for this sport or create any talents, just do some shopping... it's almost an insult to the likes of Lohyňa brothers and others our glorious olympic medalists of the past like Athanasov, Poliačik, Strnisko, Karabin or Herda

12 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Sadly nowadays it´s like our complete NT is composed of naturalized guys. I mean yes, a couple of them are young and competed for us already at different juniors categories, but it is still kinda weird for me IMO, we used to have some solid wrestlers in the czechoslovakian era, now it looks like we're not even trying to attract kids for this sport or create any talents, just do some shopping... it's almost an insult to the likes of Lohyňa brothers and others our glorious olympic medalists of the past like Athanasov, Poliačik, Strnisko, Karabin or Herda

I know but i was referring to David Musulbes, right before the 2008 Olympics he just decided to come back to the mat (and I don't know how he found Slovakia or Slovakia found him) I wonder if he even spent a month or even a week in Slovakia before winning an Olympic medal for the country !

these new guys are competing for Slovakia for a while, at least that's more understandable. even though I doubt if they live in Slovakia. I mean it's OK if someone moves to another country and after a while decides to wrestle for them. I don't like it personally but that's understandable. but what I dislike more is people representing countries they know nothing about ! :facepalm: and I have to mention Hungary too, they are forming a full squad of Russian wrestlers in freestyle. Musukaev already won medal and quota for them last year. :thumbdown:

and unfortunately we will see more of this in next few months, specially for ex-Soviet countries. we will see more of 2nd tier Russian wrestlers trying their chance for other countries for Tokyo.

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I know but i was referring to David Musulbes, right before the 2008 Olympics he just decided to come back to the mat (and I don't know how he found Slovakia or Slovakia found him) I wonder if he even spent a month or even a week in Slovakia before winning an Olympic medal for the country !

I remember him qualifying for the games in spring 2007 winning the European championship, so yes at least 1 year before the games he was already competing for Slovakia :p

Actually I also remember the story, because it was shown in our TV when he won that Bejing medal, it was the NT coach at that time Rodion Kertanti who called him (as good friends) because he knew that David wanted to win one more Olymic gold before retiring and Russia apparently denied him the chance saying he is too old and they are focusing on some younger guys or so..so in 2006 if I´m not wrong Rodion asked him if he don´t want to try it in SVK colors, he said yes ad the rest you know :d

4 hours ago, phelps said:

no, I'm really serious...

in the past years there have been quite a few furious fights also in the Italian Parliament, where you could see 120+ kg men hitting -60kg women, too...

luckily, it's quite some time that this has not happened anymore, but in the Berlusconi era (and earlier) it was quite normal to see scenes like that...:facepalm:

I still remember Fiano's show during the 2019 financial law voting :lol: It's happened a lot of time

10 hours ago, hckosice said:

I remember him qualifying for the games in spring 2007 winning the European championship, so yes at least 1 year before the games he was already competing for Slovakia :p

Actually I also remember the story, because it was shown in our TV when he won that Bejing medal, it was the NT coach at that time Rodion Kertanti who called him (as good friends) because he knew that David wanted to win one more Olymic gold before retiring and Russia apparently denied him the chance saying he is too old and they are focusing on some younger guys or so..so in 2006 if I´m not wrong Rodion asked him if he don´t want to try it in SVK colors, he said yes ad the rest you know :d

actually that was early 2008 (not 2007) of course you can't switch just before the Olympics, you have to do it before the Olympic qualifiers to qualify first :d I still think he didn't spent more than week in Slovakia before Beijing 2008.

if I'm not wrong Musulbes had retired and was coaching, he just came back for the Olympics. and who knows he most probably could win the gold if it wasn't for cheater Taymazov.

that was interesting to know the connection between him and Slovakia. that was too easy :d and I remember Kertanti as wrestler, (and yes I know he is Russian too) also Lohyna. I think I remember one more Slovakian freestyle wrestler but can't recall the name. (had to google to remember, Stefan Fernyak)

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

actually that was early 2008 (not 2007) of course you can't switch just before the Olympics, you have to do it before the Olympic qualifiers to qualify first :d I still think he didn't spent more than week in Slovakia before Beijing 2008.

if I'm not wrong Musulbes had retired and was coaching, he just came back for the Olympics. and who knows he most probably could win the gold if it wasn't for cheater Taymazov.

that was interesting to know the connection between him and Slovakia. that was too easy :d and I remember Kertanti as wrestler, (and yes I know he is Russian too) also Lohyna. I think I remember one more Slovakian freestyle wrestler but can't recall the name. (had to google to remember, Stefan Fernyak)

Ah ok, sorry my bad, so it´s actually really weird then. I obviously did some googling and find this article from 7th June 2007 Russian Olympic champion from Sydney want compete for Slovakia https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/rusky-olympijsky-vitaz-v-zapaseni-zo-sydney-david-musulbes-chce-reprezentovat-slovensko

Kertanti explaining that yes Musulbes was at that time coach of RUS team but still wanted to wrestle, the Russian authorities denied him this chance saying he is too old, apparently also Georgia was offering him the citzenship but his friendship with Kertanti prevailed and he choosed Slovakia

Actually yes, from what I read he was resident in Volgograd and came to Slovakia only few days per year, mostly during the competitions like national championships or promo actions etc..

I can´t say about all, I definitely doubt they are really connected with Slovakia, but 3 of the guys are actually for sure Taimuraz Salkazanov, Akhsarbek Gulaev and Boris Makoev are all quite connected with the country, the first two are living here for a long while now, they even competed in the juniors categories for our colours. Taimuraz is speaking a very nice and clean fluent slovak, same for Gulaev, Makoev is at least also trying to speak in slovak with our journalists too but he has to use sometimes russian or english words

Matteo Pellicone Tournament (Ostia, ITA)

Day #2 Recap

women's Wrestling

-57kg
Gold: :NGR Odunayo Folasade Adekuoroye
Silver: :IND Anshu
Bronze: :CAN Linda Morais & :USA Allison MacKenzie Ragan

-62kg
Gold: :KGZ Aisuluu Tynybekova
Silver: :RUS Liubov Ovcharova
Bronze: :CHN Long Jia & :UKR Yuliia Tkach Ostapchuk

-68kg
Gold: :CHN Zhou Feng
Silver: :USA Tamyra Mariama Mensah
Bronze: :CAN Danielle Suzanne Lappage & :NGR Blessing Oborududu

-76kg
Gold: :CAN Erica Elizabeth Wiebe
Silver: :CHN Zhou Qian
Bronze: :RUS Natalia Vorobeva & :GER Aline Rotter Focken

men's Greco-Roman Wrestling

-72kg
Gold: :EGY Mohamed Ibrahim Elsayed
Silver: :TUR Selcuk Can
Bronze: :TUR Cengiz Arslan & :UKR Maksym Yevtushenko

-77kg
Gold: :HUN Zoltan Levai
Silver: :TUR Yunus Emre Basar
Bronze: :VEN Wuileixis De Jesus Rivas Espinoza & :IND Sajan

-82kg
Gold: :IND Gurpreet Singh
Silver: :TUR Burhan Akbudak
Bronze: :GER Florian Neumaier & :TUR Salih Aydin

Edited by phelps

:ITA Frank Chamizo pulls out of tomorrow's -74kg tournament in Ostia because he hasn't fully recovered from a knee injury yet...

He said that the situation is not worrying at all, but he prefers to take a little bit more rest and focus on the upcoming European Championships...

Matteo Pellicone Tournament (Ostia, ITA)

Day #3 Recap

women's Wrestling

-50kg
Gold: :USA Sarah Ann Hildebrandt
Silver: :ROU Emilia Alina Vuc
Bronze: :UKR Oksana Livach & :USA Victoria Lacey Anthony

-53kg
Gold: :IND Vinesh
Silver: :ECU Luisa Elizabeth Valverde Melendres
Bronze: :USA Katherine Grace Shai & :CHN Pang Qianyu

-55kg (Round Robin tournament, 4 starters only)
Gold: :BLR Vanesa Kaladzinskaya
Silver: :UKR Iryna Husyak
Bronze: :RUS Stalvira Orshush

-59kg (Round Robin tournament, 4 starters only)
Gold: :UKR Anhelina Lysak
Silver: :BLR Yuliya Pisarenka
Bronze: :EGY Eman Essam Guda Ebrahim

-65kg (Round Robin tournament, 3 starters only)
Gold: :RUS Inna Trazhukova
Silver: :UKR Oksana Kukhta Herhel
Bronze: :TPE Pai Hsin Ping

-72kg (Round Robin tournament, 4 starters only)
Gold: :GER Maria Selmaier
Silver: :BLR Anastasiya Zimiankova
Bronze: :GER Nadine Weinauge

men's Freestyle Wrestling

-97kg
Gold: :IRI Mohammad Mohammadian
Silver: :BLR Aliaksandr Hushtyn
Bronze: :USA Kyle Frederick Snyder & :UKR Murazi Mchedlidze

-125kg
Gold: :IRI Amir Zare
Silver: :RUS Bilial Makhov
Bronze: :CAN Amarveer Dhesi & :KAZ Yusup Batirmurzaev