website statistics

Sport Climbing 2020 Discussion Thread

JoshMartini007

• 2 months later...

Since sports climbing is one of the two sports in which I'm still in my well-known 100% fear of spoilers I can't really check the official websites, so I'm asking it here: did the 2020 World Cup even start, you know, before the whole virus thing? If not, I think I've got the Inzai lead World Cup of last season and the OQT in Toulouse (?) to watch and then I'm pretty much updated? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since sports climbing is one of the two sports in which I'm still in my well-known 100% fear of spoilers I can't really check the official websites, so I'm asking it here: did the 2020 World Cup even start, you know, before the whole virus thing? If not, I think I've got the Inzai lead World Cup of last season and the OQT in Toulouse (?) to watch and then I'm pretty much updated? :p 

It didn't start yet and it will not start at least until Munich stage on May 23-24 :p

36 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

no, the world cup was due to start in April in any case...

and now the start is delayed (the first stages were scheduled in East Asia)...

so far, the only event regularly held is the Olympic Panamerican Qualification...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

no, the world cup was due to start in April in any case...

and now the start is delayed (the first stages were scheduled in East Asia)...

so far, the only event regularly held is the Olympic Panamerican Qualification...

Which was a terrific competition by the way @heywoodu. The men’s competition has some close, competitive climbing. Definitely worth a watch if you have the time.

World Games qualification has also met a similar fate to Olympic qualification at this point. What sucks is that Sport Climbing is one of the few sports that actually has a qualification method you can follow :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

Meiringen and Villars World Cups are cancelled (meaning, not postponed).

https://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/341-ifsc-world-cups-in-meiringen-and-villars-cancelled

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming Briançon halfway in August is still the first event on the calendar so far (even though it may of course still be postponed/cancelled)?