website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2020 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

I just read that Polish Gymnastics Federation is suspended by European Federation due to debts :facepalm::hairpull:

Our athletes in all gymnastics sports can't take part in any international event until debts will be paid :wacko::wall::nopompom:

Good that this year European Champs won't be counted to Olympic qualifications...

• 1 month later...

What a day for Albania and Lithuania! First ever medals at the ECh for these nations, and gold for both! Turkey also won their first ever gold medal(s) in artistic gymnastics today. Austria earned their first medal since 1955!

Kudos to Ukraine for displaying a nice assortment of routines, and to Croatia for winning three medals (though, shockingly, they lost the gold medal on high bar). Surprisingly, the bronze medalists in the team competition from Hungary did not manage to earn individual medals. Belarus also earned deserved medals with a veteran gymnast.

In the junior competition, excellent results for Ukraine and a more success for Turkey and Lithuania. Israel also did well both in the senior and junior competitions. Romania and Bulgaria also earned medals, which is great for these nations which are clearly rebuilding their programs in the right direction. 

Ukraine won the women's team competition at the European Championships. It's a very surprising, almost shocking result, thanks to what Romania did. One of the Romanians scored very, very low on the uneven bars, but it was still possible for Romania to win gold. Larissa Iordache only needed, in theory, to hit her last routine on floor. If you watch her performance, you'll probably think she hit her routine, but there was a huge technical problem: she missed one of the requirements.

Every apparatus has four different requirements, and these requirements add 0.5 to the difficulty score. The requirements on floor are:

• Connection of two dance elements (one must be a 180 degree split)
  • Saltos forward/sideways and backward
  • Double saltos
  • Saltos with a minimum of one full twist

Iordache performed only three out of four. She completely missed her third pass, and instead of two and a half twists connected to a front sommersault, she only performed two twists. This means that she never performed a salto forward or sideways. Now, this also happened in 2010 when Mattie Larson forgot to add a front salto to her routine and the US lost the world title to Russia. But, by now, gymnasts are fully aware of requirements and this silly mistake is unacceptable. Last week, Mai Murakami had this exact same problem, but she realized it and added a front salto at the very last pass during the Japanese National Championships. This is what we expected from Iordache, but in a very bizarre way, she forgot about such a basic thing.

Kudos to Ukraine, though. I'm happy with a gold medal for them. And I'm glad Hungary got a team medal and Dorina Boczogo finally has a continental medal after all these years.

That final floor routine left a sour taste in my mouth. It would have been a lot better if Uctas got gold and Iordache got silver, but the inquiry destroyed the climax.

Overall, a terrible competition, by far one of the worst I've seen in my life. Still, kudos to the medalists, especially Turkey, Slovakia and Israel for their first-ever medals in women's artistic gymnastics. Kudos to Croatia and Bulgaria for medals in the junior division, too. 

7 hours ago, hckosice said:

yay Bára :clap:

First ever european championship medal of any color of any category for :SVK in Artistic Gymnastics. I know, the competition was piss poor and all but hey, That some history writing :d

Yes, Mokosova's and Uctas's medals were probably my favorite moments of the whole competition. Slovakia has one gold and one silver medal at the Trampoline Gymnastics European Championships. Now, with this bronze medal, you guys have a full set. Well done.

16 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

That final floor routine left a sour taste in my mouth. It would have been a lot better if Uctas got gold and Iordache got silver, but the inquiry destroyed the climax.

Overall, a terrible competition, by far one of the worst I've seen in my life. Still, kudos to the medalists, especially Turkey, Slovakia and Israel for their first-ever medals in women's artistic gymnastics. Kudos to Croatia and Bulgaria for medals in the junior division, too. 

Oh come on, they tried to stole Iordache gold medal, Lari was by far better than Uctas. The judges screwed Larisa by lowering her D score of 0.5 (after inquiry it should have been 5.7 not 5.6)

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Yes, Mokosova's and Uctas's medals were probably my favorite moments of the whole competition. Slovakia has one gold and one silver medal at the Trampoline Gymnastics European Championships. Now, with this bronze medal, you guys have a full set. Well done.

Yes, she is super happy, she almost cried of joy in our TV news, clapping and jumping in front of the camera

Here the link, don´t know if it will works for you

first answer "my 20 years of gymnastics career and trainings finally paid off, thanks to everyone who was supporting me"

and the second one "I am so happy for this medal" :d:wub:

That was really cute.

https://www.facebook.com/sport.rtvs/videos/2912286718874173