website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2020 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

1 hour ago, Dnl said:

It feels like every sport here has its own F’d up problem, here it’s Sexual abusing other have the infamous Drug abusing I seriously cannot understand it and it’s really pissing me off :hairpull:

The problem is that it is not sexual abuse, which is criminal, but allegations of various forms of emotional tactics which may or not be abusive.  I doubt they would seen as abusive in 99% of male sports.  

Certainly if NZ female gymnasts feel that the Commonwealth Games are too stressful for them, then perhaps they should be looking at other, less damaging, career options.

• 3 weeks later...

Nile Wilson has become the newest high profile athlete to make allegations of abuse. He claims UK Sport/UK Gymnastics has perpetrated a culture of abuse.

Having followed his journey since Rio (he’s a vlogger on YouTube), and some of the dark parts of his career, it wouldn’t shock me to know that there is an abusive culture at UK Gymnastics. Unfortunately, I think almost every NF has these issues, and it comes down to the culture of the sport. People inside gymnastics will have to be willing to change their behavior, or we’ll just see this cycle repeat once more.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

More accusations, now from two female British gymnasts.

Most of the accusations seem almost ridiculous, like being given controlled portions for meals and feeling pain from stretching. I mean, if you're gonna complain about these things, then change sports, go to modern pentathlon or something.

However, one of the girls complains about being slapped and this is serious, of course.

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

More accusations, now from two female British gymnasts.

Most of the accusations seem almost ridiculous, like being given controlled portions for meals and feeling pain from stretching. I mean, if you're gonna complain about these things, then change sports, go to modern pentathlon or something.

However, one of the girls complains about being slapped and this is serious, of course.

I feel like we might be underestimating modern pentathlon if we're thinking there are no diet restrictions and stretching pains :d 

Although to be fair, if true, this is not exactly a good way to treat young children neither...the obsession of these coaches to call every child fat.

She alleges that when she was nine years old, Reddin "came over, sat beside me, grabbed my side, pulled it out really hard. She told me I was too fat, and then told me I needed to go on a diet, which obviously was very upsetting.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

She alleges that when she was nine years old, Reddin "came over, sat beside me, grabbed my side, pulled it out really hard. She told me I was too fat, and then told me I needed to go on a diet, which obviously was very upsetting.

Well, if girls don’t want to be questioned about their weight perhaps they should concentrate on sports where it is less of an issue, like rugby.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Well, if girls don’t want to be questioned about their weight perhaps they should concentrate on sports where it is less of an issue, like rugby.

Ah yes, that makes it normal to call 9-year old girls fat to their faces. There's a difference between finding a decent way to tell young kids that, if they want to be succesful in this sport, they do need to keep an eye on their physique, and just outright calling them fat. People who can't find the right way of dealing with that are not supposed to be coaching kids.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

This is turning into nitpicking at this point. So tired of people insisting on hearing the right syntax all the time, rather than focusing on semantics. It's like those people who insist on hearing "I love you" all the time, even when their spouse is sending the exact same message with their actions alone.

Coaches who say those things surely don't wake up every morning with an intention to make their athletes miserable. We can all agree that a sport like gymnastics requires a certain body type, and calling someone "fat" is just one of the ways of sending such message. Obviously it is not the most tactful way, but quite straightforward.

Is telling someone they are overweight in 20 sentences really that much better than being upfront about it? My concern here is - people will hear what they want to hear either way.

#banbestmen

• 2 weeks later...

And the British gymnasts did it again: another round of accusations about things that are hardly shocking.

This time, Ellie Downie accused a nutritionist of making her feel bad because the woman advised her to lose weight. She mentioned she started having body issues, especially after the nutritionist asked her to send pictures on a daily basis showing her progress on her diet.

Honestly? The British girls are really, really pissing me off.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

And the British gymnasts did it again: another round of accusations about things that are hardly shocking.

This time, Ellie Downie accused a nutritionist of making her feel bad because the woman advised her to lose weight. She mentioned she started having body issues, especially after the nutritionist asked her to send pictures on a daily basis showing her progress on her diet.

Honestly? The British girls are really, really pissing me off.

Crystal generation. They want all the glory and glamour without the sweat and pain.

• 1 month later...